Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/27/2021 7:10:17 PM EDT
Marijuana is entirely illegal in Texas. But it's 100% legal in Michigan, where I used to live.

I went back over the summer for a family function, and I was surprised the changes I have seen in people. Family members who preached to me when I was in high school about staying away from marijuana are now growing and smoking it on a daily basis. Friends who were religious growing up are smoking it on a daily basis. From what I gather though, there hasn't been much of a social impact. People are still working hard, it doesn't seem to be causing an increase in crime, I don't know what impact it has had on DUIs or anything though.

What have you seen in your states? Has it caused loss of worker productivity, increases in crime, or increases in DUIs? Have you seen people who you never thought would smoke weed, smoking weed now?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Self medication is rarely a good thing.  It speaks to deeper problems for the individual.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think like alcohol, some people can handle it, and some have it ruin their lives.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self medication is rarely a good thing.  It speaks to deeper problems for the individual.
View Quote

I honestly don't care about the personal problems of the individual marijuana user, or the why's behind their "self medication." I'm concerned with whether or not them doing whatever they do is going to have a negative impact on the greater society, and specifically whether or not that impact will effect me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone here grew it and smoked it before anyway, now a few more people might.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread will be good. In!
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Pot needles flowing in the streets

Reefer madness, total wastoid zombification

Whak!whack!whack!
You hear that?
It's my skull,
I am sooo wasted /spicoli_off
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You can smell it all over  Las Vegas.  Especially at stoplights.  Jackasses will cut across multiple lanes of traffic to turn into a pot shop driveway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
All I know is we vacationed in Colorado last year. We went to the grocery store to stock the Airbnb and it was nothing but fucking hippie zombies everywhere. I don't know what it was like before but holy fuck it's bad
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thread has potential.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
No infact running into a stoner is odd. Them again my AO is very rural and mostly Ag.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I know personally and see on a regular basis two elderly Boomer men who have turned into complete potheads since weed was legalized.

Their wives are quite upset about it.  But you can’t break an old pothead of grass addiction.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Here in Commifornia before it became recreational.
You wouldn't smell it so much.

At home and away.

Now it reeks everywhere including on the freeways.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Until everyone legalizes it, it will consolidate many of the deleterious segments of the population in places where it is permitted. It appears to have been a massive mistake for Colorado.

People who need that kind of escape are broken, same with alcoholics and such. They tend to fuck places up when they congregate
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can smell it all over  Las Vegas.  Especially at stoplights.  Jackasses will cut across multiple lanes of traffic to turn into a pot shop driveway.
View Quote
Are bar parking lots still full?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t smoke that shit but I see a lot more people smoking it and eating the gummies. What I have see. Is an increase in Fentanyl use.  It I don’t attribute that to pot smoking. A lot of hard working people smoke as well as shit bags.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Yay, War on Drugs!  So effective! Much enforcement!  Wow.

I know a couple people that medicate.  One “medicates”. Whatever. The other hadadvanced cancer. His brother says it really helped him make the miserable days bearable.  He knew it wasn’t a cure, but at that point, nothing would do that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Smoking weed or using cannabis products has never killed anyone. Alcohol on the other hand....
Had weed been legalized 50 years ago I believe alcoholism would not be half what it is today.
My biggest concern with increased MJ use is lung complications... (cancer, emphysema etc..)
But many Cannabis products are no longer inhaled... so there's that aspect.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]
It was essentially decriminalized here, and nothing changed. Don't know about changes in the number of OVIs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
From what I gather, the people that smoked it before it was legal, still smoke it. Those that didnt, still dont. I have seen no changes in the people I know.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smoking weed or using cannabis products has never killed anyone. Alcohol on the other hand....
Had weed been legalized 50 years ago I believe alcoholism would not be half what it is today.
My biggest concern with increased MJ use is lung complications... (cancer, emphysema etc..)
View Quote

Washington state had its first infant overdose (and death) last year.

ETA - second hand smoke from parents.

I lived in Maine for a few years. I assume everyone smoked because it smelled like marijuana everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Here it is legal nationwide.
Those who smoked it still smoke it.
Those who didn't mostly don't.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried the Delta 8 variant and that was enough for me. I tossed about $150 worth of that crap right in the garbage can. What a waste of money. So I would dislike pot even worse. Weed ain't for me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
My cousin was weird b4 pot became legal. He is 100x more weird since CO legalized it for fun.  The people i know who use it for medical issues are functional and hold normal jobs
They use it moderation at night hours at home. There will always be those who go past therapeutic use or just use cannabis because they want to.

I cant stand the smell or taste of it. Smoke gives me a headache. I use Motrin for headaches and if its something worse off to the doctor I go.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I just love liberals.  

Smoking cigarettes bad.  

Smoking pot good.  

I don’t care about either.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
kind of.
I mean, it's not fully legal in Florida, but for all intents and purposes it is. Hotboxing dopers slow down traffic. It's annoying.
My parents also got a free pot brownie at some seafood festival (it was technically delta something, but lets be real, it's dope) and I caught my mom mowing the lawn at a speed of .0001 mile per day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a finite number of people who get high.  They will use the cheapest and most convenient means to do it.  Currently, alcohol is legal and available on every corner.  As pot gets legalized, it will become cheaper and more convenient.

Still there won’t be more users.  Just different highs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
No one cares about reeking of it anymore .
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I found out how many people i interact with actually smoke pot

But other then that no
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Live near the border of a state where it’s legal and have seen the casual usage go up with the workforce. Even just driving down the road in a not legal area people are open with it and the smell is everywhere.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No one cares about reeking of it anymore .
View Quote
I do. Staying in Amsterdam with shitty A/C and an open window, you smell that shit all night. It wasn't great. I generally don't care about smokers, and honestly that was a city problem, but it wasn't great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

People who need that kind of escape are broken, same with alcoholics and such. They tend to fuck places up when they congregate
View Quote

lol

Anyone who smokes weed is the same as an alcoholic?

Are you saying that people can’t have a beer and not be an alcoholic?

No one can smoke or eat an edible and not be a pothead?

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I lived in Maine for a few years. I assume everyone smoked because it smelled like marijuana everywhere.
View Quote

Yes, I understand laws are being put in place to restrict Cannabis edibles that appear to be candy.
Infants can accidentally ingest many poisons in the home due to irresponsible parents.
Here in AZ infant pool drownings are a problem. Ingesting cannabis causing death is not even heard of.

ETA- people don't smoke weed like cigarettes anymore. One bong hit and your good. Don't picture a cigarette chain smoker. That's not how it works.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve seen several older family members that have been in the “weed is the devil” camp for decades, move from all sorts of prescriptions for pain relief, to weed products.

Grandma is actually more productive in the garden than she’s been in years.

I also have a few upper middle class customers in the 60+ year old range that have taken up weed in the past couple years.

Everyone appears to be just as productive as before.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I found out how many people i interact with actually smoke pot

But other then that no
View Quote

It has become socially acceptable over the past 2 years here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ETA- people don't smoke weed like cigarettes anymore. One bong hit and your good. Don't picture a cigarette chain smoker. That's not how it works.
View Quote

You don't know any brothers that like their blunts then. Where I'm from, they called it the health bar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
It's the same as its always been in my AO.  I know people that smoke after work every day and they're doing just fine.
There have been quite a few new pot businesses springing up but they seem to be doing very well so the local market isn't saturated yet.
As for odor, it's not noticeable at all in public.
All told, it appears to be a positive move for the local economy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Big cities are now full of homeless.  Did they come for the legal pot or did legal pot make them homeless?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tragic - but I thought I smelled something off about that and looked into it.

“We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” said Thomas Nappe, an author of the report who is now the director of medical toxicology at St. Luke’s University Health Network in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Nappe, who co-authored the report with Christopher Hoyte, explained that the doctors simply observed this unusual sequence of events, documented it and alerted the medical community that it is worth studying a possible relationship between cannabis and the child’s cause of death, myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle.

The authors added that, “As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure.”

Nappe emphasized that the word “associated” should not be interpreted as indicating a cause and effect.

Source
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You don't know any brothers that like their blunts then. Where I'm from, they called it the health bar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I suppose that all depends on how good the product is..... bahahaha
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Big cities are now full of homeless.  Did they come for the legal pot or did legal pot make them homeless?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Homeless come for plenty of reasons. In florida, it's because they can sleep outside and not die. It's still obnoxious. On thanksgiving night I went in the gas station with a drunk that payed for gas, then he asked me in the parking lot for $3 for gas. I said no obviously, and then he started filling up his car with the gas he already paid for.

Quoted:
Well I suppose that all depends on how good the product is..... bahahaha
Well yeah, I guess. It was mostly mid for them. Occasionally loud, but you could get more mid for the money, and going from zero to too high sucks anyway, I'd think, if I have smoked dope, which I haven't because it's illegal and make you gay.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

We must not hang out with the same gen x'ers then.

One guy I used to work with would roll up a spliff the size of a sharpie marker, stick in his mouth  first thing in the morning, and relight as necessary all day long while running out a block wall.

Still tokes up before every concrete pour, I have no idea how he functions with that much THC tar in the brain.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Legalizing pot has had 0 change in people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I had wisdom teeth pulled. The dentist recommended marijuana edibles for pain.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I have seen no change, but it's early days here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Arizona legalized marijuana in November, 2020.

The cannabis industry is now expected to bring in $1.5 billion in tax revenue for 2021, according to figures from the Department of Revenue.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-marijuana-sales-slated-to-bring-in-1-5-billion-in-state-taxes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
The only change I notice is the openness or brazen uncouth to do all the shitty behavior one can do with other not illegal things.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
When we travel to states where it is legal, my wife and I are amazed at how many places sell it.
Once my wife learned what the green cross meant, she was blown away by how many times we saw it. And this was on the blue highways in little towns all over. A town of 4k has them everywhere. Same with a 20k town.She was also blown away by how many times we were offered to partake in camping situations on a 2 week trip this past spring from people we just ended up hanging out with by a fire doing some boondocking. I was kind of flattered that people were willing to share after enjoying our company. We politely declined, but said to "go ahead and have a great time." We sipped cocktails instead.

My wife and I are unicorns. Neither one has ever smoked. We've been around it but never did it. We now do Delta 8 gummies to help sleep occasionally. It took my wife 3 months to even try a half. And that is pretty recent.

So, while I haven't seen any changes in people.....from our travels, I can say that we believe the majority of people in the US partake, or would do so if it were available legally.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top