Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2021 12:27:50 PM EDT
I am seeing people listed as ignored but their username is not in my ignore list.  I know why it is happening, you may as well and just haven't had time to do anything with it.

This is due to the username changes were allowed and how various tables store data.  The table used to store people's Ignore List entries must be recording the username along with the member id at the time the entry was added.  For people that changed their usernames after that entry was created the old username is still what appears when displaying the Ignore List.

The biggest issue it would cause is someone seeing a username they didn't recognize as ignored and then there is no easy way for end users to figure out who the person is, see the reason they added them, or to remove them since the names don't match.  

For those a bit more technical they can inspect the source and figure out the related entry but that also means it provides a limited record of name changes that were made, some of which were done for security/privacy reasons.  For example I known ID 144599 had a username change and I know both names.

A refresh of usernames in the Ignore List table would fix that or just delete the username column and do a join based on the member ID to pull the current value of the username when displaying the Ignore List.

I know you have a lot going on, it isn't a privacy issue for me but I wanted you to be aware of it if you weren't already.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not scared by words or opinions... no one is on my ignore list
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither am I, but I do use that list to provide context about posters and use that to filter out the noise.  There are members that always post nonsense, only shit post, or troll.  Why waste your time reading that when you can easily filter it out?

BTW, there are some people on this site that are not only triggered by words but they are triggered by even seeing the username of someone they put on ignore.  Recent site changes now hides thread in GD of those on people's ignore lists, that way the little snowflakes won't be triggered by even seeing the threads of people on their list.  

I wrote an script to pull in the reason someone is on my ignore list.  Of the list below I would still read the ignored posts of 3 people if I had time and would respond to at least 1 of them.  The context of why they are on ignore is where the value of the Ignore List comes from.  A new account that is always trying to get people here to attack each other, why would you want to read their posts when there is an option to filter them out?

The script is how I found the issue I'm reporting.  Several people had the reason of "undefined" which means I couldn't pull their ignore reason using their username.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top