Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 8:48:39 AM EDT

Update
My Toyota found out about it and committed seppuku last night.

I just mysteriously got a new license plate in the mail and a letter telling me I have to SURRENDER my old one.

What's the deal here? How does one SURRENDER a license plate?

Am I supposed to go to a messenger with a white flag? To I give them my sword? Will they let me keep my sidearm?

I've never had to surrender before.

What if I decide not to surrender it? What if I just decide to dig in and hold out to the last man?

WTF is this 'surrender' bullshit about, anyway?

I have half a mind to find someone willing to photograph me with a white flag trying to surrender my plate at the messengers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Do what I do in MD.
I give them the rear plate back and tell them that the front plate was mangled in the accident.
I'd like to keep both, but who knows what those pricks would do if I did that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
What am I going to do the next time I need to fix a hole in my roof?  I just went from PA to AL plates last fall and my old PA plate is hanging in my shop.  I hope they come down here for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a newer car last year and still had the plate from my old car.  I was told to surrender the old plate back to the DMV, so here's what I ended up doing: I threw it in my garage.

Now I'm waiting for the knock on the door.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a newer car last year and still had the plate from my old car.  I was told to surrender the old plate back to the DMV, so here's what I ended up doing: I threw it in my garage.

Now I'm waiting for the knock on the door.
View Quote

I'll grab my plate and AR and meet up with you. We can both hold out together.

They'll never take us alive!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
From my cold, dead garage shelf!

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a stack of plates in my garage that were supposed to be "surrendered".  If they are not sending me a shipping label and a box then I aint doing shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell them it's on the wall of a restaurant in Key Largo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I always thought you paid for that plate so you can keep it.

Did your registration get revoked or something?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I just nail them to the garage wall.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Legally you are supposed to turn it in.
The reason being that people keep old plates to put on cars they just bought and haven't registered (not a big deal IMO).
Or end up in the hands of criminals who will put them on cars they've stolen or are using in the commission of a crime.

I once stopped a car (in PA) with a North Dakota tag that looked old as shit. When I had the tag run it came back valid. Apparently that combination had been reissued since 1994. When they gave the vehicle description it clearly didn't match and I stopped it. Nothing nefarious, they just put the plate on a used car they'd just bought in NY to get it home (at least that was the story).

But hanging it up in your man cave, shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
They insist on getting your old plates but what did they do about voter fraud in Philadelphia ?  Give us a break PA.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah most likely turn it into the DMV or a Notary Public that deals with vehicle registration stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do what I do in MD.
I give them the rear plate back and tell them that the front plate was mangled in the accident.
I'd like to keep both, but who knows what those pricks would do if I did that.
View Quote

PA is rear plate only.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Butler Day.

The anniversary of the time 53 Pennsylvanians fought to the last man rather than surrender their old license plates.

As the last man lay dying one of the victors he said to the man, "All this over not wanting to turn in an expired license plate?"

"Oh. You mean we could have just turned them in? Why didn't you just say so? We fought because we just didn't want to surrender!"

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like the idea of walking into the DMV with a small white flag and maybe a kids plastic sword to present to the clerk.
View Quote

I am SERIOUSLY considering this and turning it into a circus.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if this thread will bring out the "driving is a privilege" brainwashed imbeciles. They'll preach to you that the plate is the rightful and lawful property of the royal holy crown!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Yea, our tax money at work.  Why the fuck do you need to switch plates?  We don't even put inspection stickers on them, they ended that a few years ago.  

Probably a microchip in them so they can track your ass.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always thought you paid for that plate so you can keep it.

Did your registration get revoked or something?
View Quote

No. I just had a new plate sent to me for no apparent reason. It was near renewal time so I went on line and renewed and sure enough when I pulled it up it had the new number listed.

I went out and looked at my old one and it is kinda funky. My best GUESS is some LEO of some sort (maybe even a meter maid) with nothing better to do reported it as obscured and the state just sent me another one.

Actually I have no idea why thie happened.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Supposed to "surrender" plates not in use in Florida. The only time I have ever done that is years later when I take a stack of plates (trailer, motorcycle, vehicle) in to plate a new car/trailer and tell them to pick one.

I leave the others they don't pick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the idea of walking into the DMV with a small white flag and maybe a kids plastic sword to present to the clerk.

DO NOT go to the DMV!  Always meet on neutral ground to discuss the terms of the surrender.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I never knew People where in love with there license plates
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just mysteriously got a new license plate in the mail and a letter telling me I have to SURRENDER my old one.

What's the deal here? How does one SURRENDER a license plate?

Am I supposed to go to a messenger with a white flag? To I give them my sword? Will they let me keep my sidearm?

I've never had to surrender before.

What if I decide not to surrender it? What if I just decide to dig in and hold out to the last man?

WTF is this 'surrender' bullshit about, anyway?

I have half a mind to find someone willing to photograph me with a white flag trying to surrender my plate at the messengers.
View Quote

They usually have a prepaid sticker to place on the plate and then drop it in the mail. or you could take a ride to Harrisburg to turn it in
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#25]
ive never turned one in
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#26]
tell them you lost it in a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah its just the government authorizing your vehicle to be on public roads.

A symbol of freedom to roam?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Put it in your plate carrier, of course.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Go all out. Give the speech and everything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can have my plates when you pry them from my cold dented fenders.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They usually have a prepaid sticker to place on the plate and then drop it in the mail. or you could take a ride to Harrisburg to turn it in
View Quote

When I read this I went through the envelope again. No sticker but on the back of the 'surrender form' it does say I can either destroy it or send it back to Harrisburg for recycling.

Fuck that. I'm going to the messenger's office with a white flag and surrendering it.

They want me to surrender? I'll surrender.

Maybe they'll put me in a PW camp or something. I'm getting bored in my old age and figuring out a way to escape will give me something interesting to do.

Maybe if I get past the wire I can steal a motorcycle with a sidecar or something and REALLY show Steve McQueen how to jump a barbed wire fence!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I just threw my old one in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#33]
It'll be a similar method when the AWB is passed.  We'll all get letters telling us to surrender our AWs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

DO NOT go to the DMV!  Always meet on neutral ground to discuss the terms of the surrender.
View Quote

Good idea!

About 25 years ago I wrote the governor for a mule an 40 acres based on my service on the PA state militia.

I actually got an answer from the department of military affairs. Back then they had a sense of humor. They told me I had to wait another 10 years because the militia wasn't all citizens 18 to 45 years. It was 17.5 to 55 and I had another 10 years left.

It was a hilarious answer and if I can dig it out sometime I'll post it here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I went out and looked at my old one and it is kinda funky. My best GUESS is some LEO of some sort (maybe even a meter maid) with nothing better to do reported it as obscured and the state just sent me another one.

View Quote

Wrong. Pa had a issue with the plates delaminating. The paint is not sticking to the aluminum. So they are in the process of reissuing the plates for new ones. They know the series of numbers that were affected by the delamination. So they are replacing them in groups. That is why it looks funky. The paint is peeling right off of them.

This has nothing to do with someone running your plate and turning you in. Surrendering your plate means to send it back to PennDot. Or, you can do what everyone else does. Throw it in the corner and forget about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good idea!

About 25 years ago I wrote the governor for a mule an 40 acres based on my service on the PA state militia.

I actually got an answer from the department of military affairs. Back then they had a sense of humor. They told me I had to wait another 10 years because the militia wasn't all citizens 18 to 45 years. It was 17.5 to 55 and I had another 10 years left.

It was a hilarious answer and if I can dig it out sometime I'll post it here.
View Quote

Please do if you can find it, I am sure someone could have some fun with a letter that showed  17.5 year olds were required to provide their own firearms in militia service.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#37]
DO EIT!  Hell if anything, if you're going to carry some sort of plastic weapon, you'll be able to create your scene once security is called.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please do if you can find it, I am sure someone could have some fun with a letter that showed  17.5 year olds were required to provide their own firearms in militia service.
View Quote

This was 25 years ago but IIRC firearms were not mentioned other than in passing. I think I offered to continue serving and if they gave me a rusty old shotgun I could stand guard and keep the line at the whorehouse orderly or some damned thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

PA is rear plate only.
View Quote

I can't believe I forgot about that.
What's worse, is I only live 4 miles from the MD - PA line.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wrong. Pa had a issue with the plates delaminating. The paint is not sticking to the aluminum. So they are in the process of reissuing the plates for new ones. They know the series of numbers that were affected by the delamination. So they are replacing them in groups. That is why it looks funky. The paint is peeling right off of them.

This has nothing to do with someone running your plate and turning you in. Surrendering your plate means to send it back to PennDot. Or, you can do what everyone else does. Throw it in the corner and forget about it.
View Quote

Mine is delaminating and I love it. The 'Toll by Plate' scanners cant read it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I swapped them out an hour or so ago I looked carefully. You're spot on. It IS delaminating.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
DO EIT!  Hell if anything, if you're going to carry some sort of plastic weapon, you'll be able to create your scene once security is called.
View Quote

Carrying anything that even remotely LOOKS like a weapon is a sure fire way to have things go poorly. Even a plastic flimsy childs sword.

While most experienced LEOs would probably laugh like hell at a ridiculous looking old man coming out with a white flag carrying a half-dozen M60 belts of empty brass wrapped around him and carrying an orange muzzled Mattel toy Tommy gun on a sling over his shoulder ,and a dopey look on his face some fuzz nutted rookie idiot would flip right out.

This holds doubly true in a city like Philly.

You would be surprised how much happy horse shit you can get away with if you are non threatening in any way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top