Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2020 3:07:31 PM EDT
I'm consulting engineer and just heard a City we work for is laying of 10% of their work force and expecting more next year with salary freeze.

My company having jobs canceled and backing out on job offers for new grads.

I would recommend cutting back on expenses and prepare for a couple years of a rough economy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that’s a given, but most haven’t felt it yet. Most people are probably still in disbelief, and it just feels like a temporary bad dream still.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Also a consulting engineer here.  Very small company.  The phone has gone VERY quiet.  Not good.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If i can make it until the restrictions are lifted,  I'm not worried.  I'll ramp up expanding again.  

But after looking at it last week,  my core business is losing until people can leave their houses and tenants don't want to pay unless the government steps in to pay rent.

Well they say that until the eviction notices start.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that’s a given, but most haven’t felt it yet. Most people are probably still in disbelief, and it just feels like a temporary bad dream still.
View Quote

Also I think people are so focused on the virus and where to buy toilet paper that they aren't paying attention to the markets and are not thinking long term.

Guess its all obvious stuff to the people who frequent the Business & Investing forums but thought I would pass along what I'm seeing in the real world.

The virus may screw up the next few months but the recession it causes is going to last for years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm consulting engineer and just heard a City we work for is laying of 10% of their work force and expecting more next year with salary freeze.

My company having jobs canceled and backing out on job offers for new grads.

I would recommend cutting back on expenses and prepare for a couple years of a rough economy.
View Quote

My company just laid off or furloughed 70% of its sales force. My small team went from 10 people to 3. 50+ people in my side of the organization got cut to a total of 9. Were a tech company that supports a service industry that’s been impacted heavily by all of this. Surprisingly, I’m still here, despite having been hired a month ago. Guess I’m doing something right, but my heart really goes out to everyone impacted. Seeing that happen today was really tough.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
the real question is what people do after restrictions are lifted.  will they come out partying and consuming like there is no tomorrow(even if it drives them into debt?)  or will they after months of sitting at home and realizing they don't need all that shit, change their lifestyles and spending habits.

the former will see a boom with a possible bust down the road, the latter will cause a long term slow down with a slow recover but probable better in the long run
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the real question is what people do after restrictions are lifted.  will they come out partying and consuming like there is no tomorrow(even if it drives them into debt?)  or will they after months of sitting at home and realizing they don't need all that shit, change their lifestyles and spending habits.

the former will see a boom with a possible bust down the road, the latter will cause a long term slow down with a slow recover but probable better in the long run
View Quote

You're entertaining the thought that people will change their spending habits for the better and stop going out to spend money?

The same people that got so bored being home for 2 weeks, they would randomly go shopping for non essential items so often that some stores stopped selling non essentials.

L.
O.
L.

This is America.  If it feels good now,  its right.  Those people won't be home for 20 minutes before they go crazy spending.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#10]
As soon as restrictions are lifted, I’m going to move as much product as I can, and still save as much as possible for round two of shutdowns.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually think a lot of people are going to wise up after this pucker.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I actually think a lot of people are going to wise up after this pucker.
View Quote

What makes you think that? They aren't even wised up in the middle of it.  Our Facebook trade pages are slammed.  Busier than ive ever seen.  Americans have to spend.  That's how they are.

People are jobless, and hoarding toilet paper not because the disease causes diarrhea, but because they feel like that's what people do.  

Id be open to hear some things you see that make you think that? Ive seen 0 evidence of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top