Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2020 2:02:16 PM EDT
Getting an estimate on Pella windows,  are they any good ?  This is one of three estimates that we're looking at, will probably ask for a couple more.   These are going to be replacement windows not a new construction.   Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good windows, extremely overpriced IMHO. Shop around. Shop Andersen, Eagle, Hurd, Marvin and others top quality brands.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a history of making good windows with higher than average price tags.  Having Pella windows was a selling point for many homes in my area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Also check out  the Andersen 100 series.  I had 3 of them installed last year and am very happy so far.  

I contracted out the installation and saved over $2k from what Pella wanted for the windows and installation.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine that I had put in about 5 years ago by the Pella store.

The biggest selling point to me and why I'll be going back for the rest of my windows was that they showed up when they said they would, finished before they said they would, were polite and professional, and cleaned up after themselves which included vacuuming.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with local contractors.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Getting an estimate on Pella windows,  are they any good ?  This is one of three estimates that we're looking at, will probably ask for a couple more.   These are going to be replacement windows not a new construction.   Thanks for looking.
View Quote
The best Dutch windows you'll ever have.

Yes they're great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience is somewhat limited. My daughter has a home with Pella windows in Urbandale, Ia. They are rotten, leaky, junk. Customer service is second only to India or Pakistan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
In all my years as a carpenter, I'd have to say Andersen makes the best. Like others, they have different lines, glass options, trim, etc. What stands them out is the quality of Mfr.

Let's say you're installing 9 identically sized windows. With Andersen, you can measure just 1 of the and cut all the trim, ahead of time. Knowing it'd fit every window.

We did a job at a big time country club and the main dining hall had a huge gable wall, with 3 rows of windows, some arching. It was a nightmare to get everything aligned (using lasers). We had to fudge so many things, even planing some of the jambs so the trim looked ok. These were all Pella and that single wall was ~$50k.

ETA: Stay away from Renewal by Andersen. They DO NOT carry the Andersen warranty, it's completely different.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They are better than builder grade.  Moved into a new house and five years later we had to swap them out do to leaks.  Bought Pella from Lowes and they were much nicer and no air blowing in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The house I bought had all Pella windows and multiple Pella sliding patio doors. They're 10 yrs old and built like tanks. Have zero complaints...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You also have to remember that you can start with the best windows made and install them incorrectly and the homeowner will call that brand of window junk forever, even though it wasn't a bad window.  Take everything you read with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Sister has been putting in mid grade pella windows in das house in MT.

So far they have fit pretty good and stood up to weather.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
You also have to remember that you can start with the best windows made and install them incorrectly and the homeowner will call that brand of window junk forever, even though it wasn't a bad window.  Take everything you read with a grain of salt.
View Quote

I work for one of the larger wood window companies and truer words have never been spoken :-)

OP, do as suggested above and get quotes from Marvin, JELD-WEN, Andersen (E Series, formerly Eagle), and Hurd (Now called "Sierra Pacific"). Visit showrooms and make an informed decision, there are several companies better than Pella out there with a similar price point.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
They seem to spend an incredible amount on marketing.

In my mind that is akin to a contractor always driving around in brand new trucks. If there is extra fat on the budget for those expenses then there is probably room to wiggle on prices if they weren't spending so much on marketing/new trucks. I will look elsewhere first for other quality options...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
A customer had a recent bid by Pella. It was 18k........for 5 replacement windows installed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I got quoted 10k more than the other 2 estimates!  Argon gas, double thicker panes, a lot of the same features but 10k more!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By downrivertrash:
I got quoted 10k more than the other 2 estimates!  Argon gas, double thicker panes, a lot of the same features but 10k more!
View Quote

They gotta pay for all those commercials somehow!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I have owned homes with Pella, Anderson.......and now? Ply Gem. The windows in our house ALL needed replacement and we had multiple quotes for 39 windows and two sliding glass doors. The Ply Gem was 20k less than the closest bid and frankly? They rock. Same high end triple pane, argon gas etc. I still own a house with Anderson and after a Idaho winter with Ply Gem, I will never over spend again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're in the DFW area give Statewide Remodeling a try.

https://www.statewideremodeling.com/windows/

I started replacing all my windows 15 years ago.  Pella was horribly overpriced.  Statewide offered a very nice product for a very good price.

It's been almost 10 years since I last used them so hopefully the quality is still good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Throw Milgard on the list, good family and business even if it's no longer entirely family owned
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Around here, Pella has the largest service department
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If I remember correctly, Pella has 2 grades of windows.
One is sold at a big box store, the other is only avalaible through millwork and contractors.
My next door neighbor does repair/refinish work for a millworks company in town and says stay away from the big box version.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
If money was no object, I'd go with with Marvin.
They're manufactured in northern Minnesota I believe, severe weather not an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top