Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 5:33:20 PM EDT
Has anyone gotten one of these yet? I've seen tons of reviews and follow a Peak Design group on FB... I just ordered an aluminum model. The E-M5 MkIII is sitting out on the back porch shooting a timelapse right now on a MeFoto tripod I got about 7 years ago. It's a "travel" tripod, but man, it's annoying AF to set up and take down. Flipping the legs, twisting every section, then doing it all in reverse.

The PD tripod looks stupid quick to deploy and retract. It's also got a little cell phone holder thing stashed in the center tube.

I'll post some pictures when I get it in, hopefully, this week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Might pick one up soon, don't shoot too much on tripods but it looks like a great product.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the clamp on that ARCA compatible?  Hard to tell.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one during the kickstarter campaign.  Honestly I've used it very little, but it is fast, sturdy, and packs away small.

Yes the head is arca Swiss compatible.

Overall I'd buy it again.  Usually packed my tripod in my luggage when flying.  This one is small enough it easily goes in my carry on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the clamp on that ARCA compatible?  Hard to tell.
View Quote

Yeah, it is... although "ARCA Swiss" is apparently not a really fixed standard. It should work.

I intend to use it as my travel tripod. I don't travel that much, and I'm not a pro. I'm not old AF, so half a pound more weight won't bother me much. Should get here Friday! I'm excited. I've been doing a few timelapses off the back porch. Having a tripod that's easy to set up will be tits. I just left the old one standing in the livingroom.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll say this, it looks like sweet gear.

But cost-wise, it's not going to be for me.  When I needed a travel pod I went with the Manfrotto BeFree aluminum for about $150.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It was expensive, but I'm happy with it for the price.

Busted it out the other night to try and get a photo of the moon (missed the shot), but it didn't disappoint
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But cost-wise, it's not going to be for me.  When I needed a travel pod I went with the Manfrotto BeFree aluminum for about $150.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I figure it's seriously literally a "buy once, cry once" purchase. I've had my other "travel tripod" for 7 years, and it IS still useful, but it's a PITA to set up and take down.

I got the PD tripod in today, and it IS very nice. So convenient, with amazing features. It is very compact, but it weighs about the same as the MeFoto tripod I already had. I got the aluminum version. The carbon fiber version is about half-pound lighter.

It's quick and easy to deploy, a little slower to take down. The ball head works well and is pretty solid. My main camera is pretty small and lightweight, so it's more than adequate. The little hidden cell phone holder is neat. It's got a tool that basically straps to it so you always have what you need. Overall, it's very clever and well designed. I really like it and expect I'll get many years of use out of it.

Quoted:
It was expensive, but I'm happy with it for the price.

Busted it out the other night to try and get a photo of the moon (missed the shot), but it didn't disappoint

I've done a few timelapses off of the back porch this week, along with some lightning photography (my camera has a badass mode for capturing lightning. It's seriously cool and it works very well). I just left my old tripod out in the living room stood up next to the door. I swapped the ball head between it and my little desktop tripod thing. Doing all that, I can set up the PD tripod even quicker and snap the camera in quick. I think I'll dig this tripod for a very long time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks nice. I haven't convinced myself to drop the cash yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
(my camera has a badass mode for capturing lightning. It's seriously cool and it works very well).
View Quote

I want to know more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
price is too salty.  easy pass.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I want to know more.
View Quote

I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkIII. There's a mode called Live Composite. You set the camera to B mode on the dial and crank the shutter speed to the max and it switches to Live Composite. What it does is takes a single picture (usually a darker frame), then another shutter button press starts it taking additional photos, but the camera only adds new light that wasn't in the original frame.

So if that first shot is the dark sky, lightning will get added. Sometimes it misses the lighting as it's not a continual 'open shutter' situation, and it will add light on top of light eventually overexposing, so you have to stop it manually once you like what you see. Overall it works pretty damn well!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkIII. There's a mode called Live Composite. You set the camera to B mode on the dial and crank the shutter speed to the max and it switches to Live Composite. What it does is takes a single picture (usually a darker frame), then another shutter button press starts it taking additional photos, but the camera only adds new light that wasn't in the original frame.

So if that first shot is the dark sky, lightning will get added. Sometimes it misses the lighting as it's not a continual 'open shutter' situation, and it will add light on top of light eventually overexposing, so you have to stop it manually once you like what you see. Overall it works pretty damn well!
View Quote

Interesting.

I just set mine for something like 5 sec exposure and turn on the intervalometer and let it roll.  Only works in lower light/night situations.  Do get some good shots, though...

Lightning 20180601 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I just set mine for something like 5 sec exposure and turn on the intervalometer and let it roll.  Only works in lower light/night situations.  Do get some good shots, though...

https://live.staticflickr.com/1759/40697020960_b6a6aa922d_b.jpgLightning 20180601 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

That can work, too... but if in 5 seconds, you don't get a lighting strike, try again. Try again. Try again. All I need to do with Live Composite is snap the base picture, then click the shutter again and let it sit there. 5 seconds or 5 minutes. When I have what I want, press the shutter again and it processes the image. It's pretty slick.

You can also use it for light painting and other dark light subjects... traffic light streaks, things like that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That can work, too... but if in 5 seconds, you don't get a lighting strike, try again. Try again. Try again. All I need to do with Live Composite is snap the base picture, then click the shutter again and let it sit there. 5 seconds or 5 minutes. When I have what I want, press the shutter again and it processes the image. It's pretty slick.

You can also use it for light painting and other dark light subjects... traffic light streaks, things like that.
View Quote

Oh, I wasn't criticizing your method, just saying how I do it without that Live Composite.

And for any prosumer body, it's all automatic.  The intervalometer does all the shutter work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top