Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2021 3:23:00 AM EDT
I have a few good quality speakers sitting around and instead of buying some mediocre computer speakers, I thought why not use the passive bookshelf speakers I've got. Then I realized I don't have a spare stereo receiver any more and need a way to get the sound to the speakers. Anyone have any experience setting something like this up? The computer's audio outputs are either the 3.5mm audio jack or spdif. I found this: Fosi 2.1 amp it seems like it should work for pretty cheap but does anyone have a better solution? I am not interested in audiophile quality/price but I also want it to sound decent for $200 or less. The speakers are Infinity primus 160s with an old Yamaha powered sub.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can squeeze put a little more cash, Crutchfield.com has some options that are better quality and come in around 300, particularly in their outlet section.

...or this little guy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a few good quality speakers sitting around and instead of buying some mediocre computer speakers, I thought why not use the passive bookshelf speakers I've got. Then I realized I don't have a spare stereo receiver any more and need a way to get the sound to the speakers. Anyone have any experience setting something like this up? The computer's audio outputs are either the 3.5mm audio jack or spdif. I found this: Fosi 2.1 amp it seems like it should work for pretty cheap but does anyone have a better solution? I am not interested in audiophile quality/price but I also want it to sound decent for $200 or less. The speakers are Infinity primus 160s with an old Yamaha powered sub.
View Quote

I used to use something similar for my PC audio setup. It'll work fine, but some things you should know.

1) The power rating is BS, those amps get massive distortion once you go past like 50% volume. Also, it'll likely ship with a laptop power supply, which will only provide like 50% of the spec'd power. But that 160w/channel, is probably 40wpc tops, and 20wpc distortion free. Not a big deal for a desktop setup where you're really close anyway.

2) If you use your PC's built int 3.5mm output, you'll likely get lots of artifacts from the PC coming through the speakers. Usually you won't notice it except silent parts are not silent. the spdif should be cleaner sounding, or using a USB sound card DAC will clean that up.

If desktop real estate is an issue, it's really hard to beat these types of devices. I like the SMSL and Topping audio ones, they're finished particularly well IMO, and they've been steadily improving  their offerings for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice, man the price goes up quickly for anything that looks decent. I had seen the Audio engine N22 which looks like about the cheapest option that wont sound terrible but its also limited to 22watts and no sub output. SMSL and Topping have some possible solutions but they certainly don't make it easy to compare and contrast their own products.

Seems a bit hard to justify when even a very nice pair of computer driven speakers can be had for much less than the cost of a DAC/AMP. Or a 2.1 setup like this logitech 2.1 that would match the rest of my Logitech peripherals.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice, man the price goes up quickly for anything that looks decent. I had seen the Audio engine N22 which looks like about the cheapest option that wont sound terrible but its also limited to 22watts and no sub output. SMSL and Topping have some possible solutions but they certainly don't make it easy to compare and contrast their own products.

Seems a bit hard to justify when even a very nice pair of computer driven speakers can be had for much less than the cost of a DAC/AMP. Or a 2.1 setup like this logitech 2.1 that would match the rest of my Logitech peripherals.
View Quote

Those 2.1 PC setups won't sound anything as good as a good pair of bookshelf speakers. The ones you posted for example are for sure using a single full range driver. Even the best of those have major limitations, and are often using gigantic horn enclosures to produce any bass. Also, with decent sized bookshelf speakers, on a PC, subs are not necessary since you're so close to the speakers. If you still want to use a sub, you can use speaker level hookup, if your sub has them (amp-->sub-->speakers).

For new PC speakers, I would look hard at JBL's self powered offerings. I have a pair of JBL 104 and a pair of LSR-305 mk1. I think I paid $60 for the JBL 104, and $150 for the pair of LSR-305 mk1. Both were black friday deals, and way better than anything else in the price bracket.

Another option is to buy used studio monitors from guitar center. I'm partial to JBL and Kali studio monitors.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're still interested in a chip amp. these would be my current choices.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pa3s-review-desktop-amplifier.27079/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a05-review-budget-amplifier.26440/

The topping should be cleaner sounding, and the aiyima will get a bit louder before distorting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're still interested in a chip amp. these would be my current choices.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pa3s-review-desktop-amplifier.27079/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a05-review-budget-amplifier.26440/

The topping should be cleaner sounding, and the aiyima will get a bit louder before distorting.
View Quote

Thanks, I had been looking into the topping choices and read that review. Right now I'm just rethinking my options as I really just wanted a cheap way to take advantage of the nice speakers I'm not otherwise using.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top