Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 8:24:31 PM EDT
No P2i on this, but look at the implications. You can zoom right down to dwellings.

Be advised accordingly.

https://kylemcdonald.net/parler/map/

What is a big surprise to me is the sheer extent of the app's usage. This is just video files.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
So this is the gps locations from videos that were uploaded to parler?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this is the gps locations from videos that were uploaded to parler?
View Quote

As far as I know, yes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Florida-man loves him some Parler.  Russians; not so much.  But I think I found where an oil-derrick is, off the coast of West Africa.

In the US, it would be an interesting overlay over a color-graphic of voting patterning by district.  To see red-zone vs blue zone density.  And then to see it on a per-capita density.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Florida-man loves him some Parler.

Would be an interesting overlay over a color-graphic of voting patterning by district.  To see red-zone vs blue zone density.  And then to see it on a per-capita density.

View Quote

For sure. Useful for lots of things. I suspect (Though I don't know for sure) it immediately gives lie to the notion that it was some exclusively right-wing thing. Lots of Yankee dots on that map. And CA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
And once everyone clicks on this link, they will have everyone else on Parler, who checked to see if they were on the first map.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And once everyone clicks on this link, they will have everyone else on Parler, who checked to see if they were on the first map.
View Quote

I found it on social media so I doubt there's much IP harvesting going on. That doesn't get you much, either.

All they got from the data dump was what was publicly posted, no other information other than that which was posted by users.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Internationally - Brit's Kinda like them some Parler.  Japs and Australians like it too.  As do Taiwanese.  Two (2) Mongolian's like it.  The 3 non-emasculated males left in Iceland can now be found.  

And Madagascar is continuing their SHUT   EVERYTHING    DOWN    meme, which at the time I thought was just a joke....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
According to a Reddit post by the author it's only 68k data points, despite the data dump being much larger (because not everyone shot and uploaded video obviously) but still pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap OP ... could you string together any more words in a title that I have absolutely know idea what they mean?  Should have just written in Urdu and I would have understood just as much.  Jeez.  

Boomer Out (totally not a boomer)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You can do the same with many pics people post here.

Maybe the tinfoil is a bit too tight, but I think it is fkn crazy how many gun pics I scroll over and see the GPS icon light up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of sites scrub the metadata, which is absolutely what they should be doing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy crap OP ... could you string together any more words in a title that I have absolutely know idea what they mean?  Should have just written in Urdu and I would have understood just as much.  Jeez.  

Boomer Out (totally not a boomer)
View Quote

Haha, sorry. It's sort of my area.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A lot of sites scrub the metadata, which is absolutely what they should be doing.
View Quote

Parler was hastily thrown together and a complete amateur hour operation from the IT side of things.

The fact that the metadata was left intact on uploads is completely inexcusable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No P2i on this, but look at the implications. You can zoom right down to dwellings.

Be advised accordingly.

https://kylemcdonald.net/parler/map/

What is a big surprise to me is the sheer extent of the app's usage. This is just video files.
View Quote

Not just extent but distribution.

Mozambique and Venezuela? Wow.

Look at all those terrorists.... They are EVERYWHERE!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont think arfcom does.
Iirc, there was a stick about it when they started hosting pics, and thought they disabled it, but I saw one pop not too long ago that made me think otherwise.

I believe it is a switchable option on other hosting sites, default often being to pass it through.

Used Picasa (which tuned into Google Photos) for the longest time and never had a prob. Cant remember if it was something I had to turn off though.

ETA
Looks like it may be fixed now. Just scrolled through a thread with a ton of pics and came up clean.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Many cases of homes robbed based on gps location in a photo from a craigslist for sale ad.  

Turn off location for pictures on your cell phone and problem solved.  Also many free apps that remove location data from photos.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I love lamp.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For sure. Useful for lots of things. I suspect (Though I don't know for sure) it immediately gives lie to the notion that it was some exclusively right-wing thing. Lots of Yankee dots on that map. And CA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Florida-man loves him some Parler.

Would be an interesting overlay over a color-graphic of voting patterning by district.  To see red-zone vs blue zone density.  And then to see it on a per-capita density.

It was billed as a free speech/expression site, not a conservative one.

But apparently free speech is a wacky right wing ideal these days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe the tinfoil is a bit too tight, but I think it is fkn crazy how many gun pics I scroll over and see the GPS icon light up.
View Quote

Yep. The first thing that I do anymore when I get a new phone or new camera app is to disable saving GPS coordinates / meta data. I posted a few photos on twitter in the past and luckily they strip it out, it wasn't anything bad but it made me paranoid when I went to edit the photo later and saw that it saved my location - there are websites where you can insert the coordinates from your photos and when I did that it literally gave me a view of my home from Google maps. Anyone who has not turned that shit off on their phones, go do it now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It was billed as a free speech/expression site, not a conservative one.

But apparently free speech is a wacky right wing ideal these days.
View Quote

As soon as the 01/06 shit went down it was labelled everywhere as some sort of insurrection planning network. I was so curious I made an account. A lot of MAGA noise for sure, but apart from that it was a normal social media site. They were also clear in their t&c (like Arfcom) that there's no illegal shit allowed.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Who's posting videos from rigs in the gulf?

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting to see uploads from Iran.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Given the scope of this data breach I'd be surprised if anyone went back to them, if they can resurrect.

But conservatives are pretty dense and stubborn, so maybe they have a chance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Who's posting videos from rigs in the gulf?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]
like five people in china getting visits from bidens friends.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yikes.

Seems to me there should be some sort of legal liability to someone when the ANTIFA-shirts target some of the very specific residences that are pinpointed on that data set.

Yet the same sort of data dump from those guys who warscaned the phones of ANTIFA riots was cleansed off twitter in no time flat.   Dangerous times to be living  under a double standard.  

Would be nice if there were a capable non apple non android smart phone that wasn't tech sector compromised.   The default 'on' setting for geotagging is obviously for no good purpose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yikes.

Seems to me there should be some sort of legal liability to someone when the ANTIFA-shirts target some of the very specific residences that are pinpointed on that data set.

Yet the same sort of data dump from those guys who warscaned the phones of ANTIFA riots was cleansed off twitter in no time flat.   Dangerous times to be living  under a double standard.  

Would be nice if there were a capable non apple non android smart phone that wasn't tech sector compromised.   The default 'on' setting for geotagging is obviously for no good purpose.
View Quote

There's really no such thing as a secure phone.  It's supposed to ring when someone calls you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the flip side to the self-styled internet detectives. There's people that probably really don't want to be found on this map. Sure, their opsec sucked, but they're essentially innocent potential victims of state oppression, and I mean the real kind, not the type that Antifa think they're fighting.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Social media is dumb, this helps show that. This should be a warning. But most people will ignore it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It is the flip side to the self-styled internet detectives. There's people that probably really don't want to be found on this map. Sure, their opsec sucked, but they're essentially innocent potential victims of stpreate oppression, and I mean the real kind, not the type that Antifa think they're fighting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the flip side to the self-styled internet detectives. There's people that probably really don't want to be found on this map. Sure, their opsec sucked, but they're essentially innocent potential victims of stpreate oppression, and I mean the real kind, not the type that Antifa think they're fighting.

Bet the guy in Venezuela got paid a visit.

Wonder if the Euros, Aussies and Kiwis will be following up to make sure their subjects aren't plotting any revolutions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bet the guy in Venezuela got paid a visit.

Wonder if the Euros, Aussies and Kiwis will be following up to make sure their subjects aren't plotting any revolutions.
View Quote

It could be people from the country's state security apparatus of course. Joining up to see what they can find. It would not surprise me in the least.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Use apps to strip media metadata before posting anything anywhere. Metapho is good for iOS.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:42:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which app or browser are using that gives you a GPS icon when you scroll over pics?

@yetdiaoetkb
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#35]
A lot of these points have dates from back in December...

Also, you have to take into consideration some people using VPNs on their phones which will manipulate this data. My guess is its actually going by uploaded from and not created at.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which app or browser are using that gives you a GPS icon when you scroll over pics?

@yetdiaoetkb
View Quote

@WeimaranerDad

Looks like Chrome and Exif Viewer extension on this one.
Lots of different ways to do this though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@WeimaranerDad

Looks like Chrome and Exif Viewer extension on this one.
Lots of different ways to do this though.
View Quote

Thank you sir!

I am kinda computer illiterate, but I usually try my best to have location services turned off when I take a pic that I know will get posted here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Social media is dumb, this helps show that. This should be a warning. But most people will ignore it.
View Quote

I'm  on Parler (well, was on Parler) a lot for the last few months. I looked at this map and have not seen one marker for the places i parlay.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A lot of these points have dates from back in December...

Also, you have to take into consideration some people using VPNs on their phones which will manipulate this data. My guess is its actually going by uploaded from and not created at.
View Quote

Photo and video metadata is at the application layer, it is in no way affected by VPN which tunnels your network traffic through an intermediary (your VPN provider). A VPN will protect you from you being geolocated by IP, but that's about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top