Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 8:33:52 AM EDT
, I have an unfinished basement. I'm wanting to Spruce it up a little bit. Was thinking about a dark matte blue paint for the exposed joists pipes Etc on the ceiling. has anyone done this? got any tips?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it with a buddy when we were younger. It sucked ass and still looked like shit. We did it white, which turned a filthy beige in a couple years, so he eventually did it all black. I didn't help him the second time.

I know its not what you're asking but I suggest a drop-ceiling.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did it with a buddy when we were younger. It sucked ass and still looked like shit. We did it white, which turned a filthy beige in a couple years, so he eventually did it all black. I didn't help him the second time.

I know its not what you're asking but I suggest a drop-ceiling.
View Quote
Yeah a light color will show all the cracks and joints where wood meets wood etc.

Definitely going with a dark color to kind of hide everything.

Not doing a drop ceiling, don't want to give up the height.

To be clear this isn't a fully finished basement. It has painted sheet rock, but still just a concrete floor and exposed ceiling. Just trying to clean it up a bit.

I may try a small section first to make sure we like it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
it's a freaking nightmare.  DON'T do it.  Unless, you have an airless sprayer that can throw out the stickiest, driest coats EVER.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Black latex dryfall paint is what you want.
Spray it.
You won’t have enough height for it to dry midair like it’s designed “dryfall” but it’s relatively cheap, very very matte& factory black
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
it's a freaking nightmare.  DON'T do it.  Unless, you have an airless sprayer that can throw out the stickiest, driest coats EVER.
View Quote
Lol I can imagine it is and am expecting as much.

I may buy a value minded airless. I've used them before and would be ideal.

Going to be painting all the interior doors pretty soon as well, so I could use the sprayer for multiple projects.

The bitch will be prepping the basement ceiling. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Black latex dryfall paint is what you want.
Spray it.
You won’t have enough height for it to dry midair like it’s designed “dryfall” but it’s relatively cheap, very very matte& factory black
View Quote
I've heard others recommend this. I've never used it.

Is the biggest reason folks recommend it just that it minimizes overspray? Or are there other attributes that make it desirable for this application?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
sheetrock
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sheetrock
View Quote
Drop ceiling (preferably) or spray it. Don't sheetrock a basement ceiling. When you have to repair something, and you will, you'll regret that sheetrock.

Drop ceilings also help block sound.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Use thin plywood and paint it. Use drywall screws so you can get it down later. That's what I am doing on half of my basement ceiling, where plumbing it above it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If ya just want to paint.. I'd go with an off color white, tan, light smokey grey or some other light color that will hide the dust etc that's bound to get on it.
Plus.. the lighter colors are gonna make for better lighting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If ya just want to paint.. I'd go with an off color white, tan, light smokey grey or some other light color that will hide the dust etc that's bound to get on it.
Plus.. the lighter colors are gonna make for better lighting.
View Quote
Id go the opposite of this, honestly. The lighter it is the more you see, the more you see the more you look. And it doesnt look good.

Darker and flatter the better. Flat black is the best bet as your eye doesn't get drawn to it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Drop ceiling (preferably) or spray it. Don't sheetrock a basement ceiling. When you have to repair something, and you will, you'll regret that sheetrock.

Drop ceilings also help block sound.
View Quote
Agreed, and they also add insulation value. And the ability to add circuits or plumbing, like when you want to renovate a kitchen or bathroom.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Black shows dirt.  It also makes things really dark (bad).

White shows dirt but keeps things bright.

Medium to light grey is your best bet (like the grey background tone on ARFCOM).
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Black shows dirt.  It also makes things really dark (bad).

White shows dirt but keeps things bright.

Medium to light grey is your best bet (like the grey background tone on ARFCOM).
View Quote
My wife would agree with you 100%. Grey all the things.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My brother has his basement ceiling painted. His is matte black. I think it looks good. Can’t say that I’ve noticed any dirt up there. It is very dark above the painted floor joists but he has light colored walls and bright lights and I don’t really notice it when I’m in his basement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top