Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2022 1:02:46 PM EDT
Here's a good article on WW II American battleships and their camouflage.  It was written for the 1/1200 or 1/1250 scale model crowd but may be applied to any scale.

http://www.1250scale.com/Marine%20Modelling%20Revisited%2026%20USN%20%20Dreadnought%20Battleships.pdf
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Part of the reason I've never built any World War II Navy ships is the dizzying paint scheme that changed like every month seems like
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of the reason I've never built any World War II Navy ships is the dizzying paint scheme that changed like every month seems like
View Quote

Yea,  just look at the Arizona and how no one can truly identify the actual color or even if the new paint color (blue) was completed before it was sunk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yea,  just look at the Arizona and how no one can truly identify the actual color or even if the new paint color (blue) was completed before it was sunk.
View Quote

My great-uncle was on the USS Franklin when it was hit off of the coast of Japan. He was a Radioman first class and he died at his post. I have a kit of the Franklin that I bought when we were in Charleston South Carolina last year visiting the Yorktown. Eventually I'm going to have to sit down and research all of the US Navy paint measures to try to figure out how to paint her
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My great-uncle was on the USS Franklin when it was hit off of the coast of Japan. He was a Radioman first class and he died at his post. I have a kit of the Franklin that I bought when we were in Charleston South Carolina last year visiting the Yorktown. Eventually I'm going to have to sit down and research all of the US Navy paint measures to try to figure out how to paint her
View Quote

Found this bit of info.

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/tag/uss-franklin/
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That's measure 32.  It used to take me 4 hours to paint a 1/1200 scale ship in that pattern.  You have to get both port and starboard view to do it.  At the bottom of the article there's even the pattern by which one may recreate the Franklin's paint scheme.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the PT boats......PT109, possibly the most famous boat of the war, and no one knows what the hull color really was. that and the final configuration is up for debate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for this, I’ve been looking into painting a car body in ship camo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for this, I’ve been looking into painting a car body in ship camo.
View Quote

Post pics if you do.  Measure 32!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Post pics if you do.  Measure 32!
View Quote

Current situation

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top