Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 10:38:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
High humidity.  Run a space heater in the area.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never used primer on wood...
Usually on wood I use a stain (water based or oil based) and a top coat e.g. TruOil or polyurethan.
All in one products never really worked well in my experience.

One option you can try:
Pick a surface that isn't immediately visible and wipe it down with mineral spirit.
This either does accelerate the drying or it ends up in a mess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#3]
By not drying how much time is that?

From the MFG:
Dry Time
Dry Time @ 77 °F and 50 % Relative Humidity
To The Touch: 1 hour – 4 hour
Recoat: 4 hour

Pretty standard times, 100% acrylic paint, nothing abnormal. As above, reduce humidity and warm area. Even a straight fan would be good.
Pretty dark paint, looks like lots of pigment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
OP... I googled Valspar Season Flex Paint Not Drying...

There are complaints of surface feeling tacking after weeks, months. Just an FYI. I still suggest straight up fan and move that air.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Too much tint or passed its shelf life. Cold and high humidity are usually the issue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope you can figure something out...
You could try to shoot polyurethane semi gloss over it ?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-32-fl-oz-Semi-gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913667
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
from some forums about the paint not drying...

" Mr. Douglass:
We are sorry to hear you had issues with one of our paints. You might try getting the street organ into the outside in direct sunlight. Sometimes that is enough to get the paint to cure.
If that doesn't work the tacky paint would need to be removed and the street organ repainted.
Do you still have the receipt for the Latex Enamel Paint? If you do and you can mail the receipt to the address below to my attention along with your full name, address and phone number I can process a refund check for you.

Ann K. Paré
Consumer Relations Representative, Consumer "

Well glory be, I just receive two e-mail from Valspar. They said they would run a test on my the batch my paint came from and they did detect tackiness. Stated that if I still had the paint can label they would arrange a refund. Never thought I would hear from them again.

That is an exterior paint... maybe designed to be exposed to UV? Just me thinking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Id like to start with Im a painting contractor that specializes in cabinet refinishing for 20 years.

You dealing with a low end box store exterior paint that is so dark that the minimum wage employees at said box store had to over tint it most likely causing it to remain tacky not fully dry.

Ive seen valspar do this multiple times, you just have to wait it out with a dehumidifier and heater and next time do it right.

I wont even get into the fact that it will have a high odor that isn't exactly good for you for a while as well..
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too much tint or passed its shelf life. Cold and high humidity are usually the issue.
View Quote

Could be this. Judging from color, prob made from a clear base. How many oz in the formula? I prob wouldn't go over 12oz. Plus, why are you using the wrong paint to begin with? Exterior paint is way too soft for what you're doing. Only thing to do now is wait it out and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if an IR curing light would help?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Usually on wood I use a stain (water based or oil based) and a top coat e.g. TruOil or polyurethan.

View Quote

If you are painting, you should always use primer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#19]
You are going to have to wait it out either way, but likely either a bad batch, or a paint product that just doesn't work well with that amount of tint.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder if an IR curing light would help?
View Quote
UV would expose to sunlight. From the web pages I have read, Valspar suggested putting the painted piece in direct sunlight... OP can't do that.
I'd go back to Lowes and explain the situation (tell them to give you SW as a replacement), and or contact Valspar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SW?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UV would expose to sunlight. From the web pages I have read, Valspar suggested putting the painted piece in direct sunlight... OP can't do that.
I'd go back to Lowes and explain the situation (tell them to give you SW as a replacement), and or contact Valspar.

SW?

Sherwin Williams Paint... shrink, wrinkle, and peel...lol. What you seek is PPG Breakthrough.  You're in a bad spot as far as adhesion goes down the road though with that Valpar on as an undercoat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One option you can try:
Pick a surface that isn't immediately visible and wipe it down with mineral spirit.
This either does accelerate the drying or it ends up in a mess.
View Quote

Try  sanding a 1983 Lincoln Towncar Hood Wood Model that I sprayed lots of primer on to seal the grain. Had to use lacquer per FOMOCO.

It had to pass dimensional check also , while being show quality .
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Id like to start with Im a painting contractor that specializes in cabinet refinishing for 20 years.

You dealing with a low end box store exterior paint that is so dark that the minimum wage employees at said box store had to over tint it most likely causing it to remain tacky not fully dry.

Ive seen valspar do this multiple times, you just have to wait it out with a dehumidifier and heater and next time do it right.

I wont even get into the fact that it will have a high odor that isn't exactly good for you for a while as well..
View Quote

@Redoubt99 What do you recommend for starting from scratch? Preferably something that doesn't need to be sprayed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Redoubt99 What do you recommend for starting from scratch? Preferably something that doesn't need to be sprayed.
View Quote

As in starting from scratch on a new piece or what one you have?

What are the paint companies in your area that ARENT box stores.
Kelly Moore, Dunn Edwards, Sherman Williams?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top