Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/22/2021 8:16:45 AM EDT
This Go Fund Me Page is for a recent accident in our area involving a six year old boy who was killed. You can't let small children ride unsupervised.

I removed the GFM link for the 6 year old boy
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t mean to be insensitive, but this advice should go without saying.  

I imagine you got the approval of site staff before posting your GFM link??
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Did not think about the GFM link, will remove it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#3]
They can afford ATVs but can't afford a funeral for their kid?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
My son was riding a friends ATV with the young friend on the back. The accident broke my sons collarbone and the friends knee. The friend had to have 2 surgeries on his knee.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son was riding a friends ATV with the young friend on the back. The accident broke my sons collarbone and the friends knee. The friend had to have 2 surgeries on his knee.
View Quote

They are dangerous in the hands of a child and most accidents don't make headlines.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Different people got different priorities.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You read my thoughts
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
someone is buried every other damn day in this state due to ATV accidents ... on a monday it will be some 65 year old, 3 days latter it will be a teenaged boy, week later it will be a 30 year old female

it's a serious issue here and rampant

ETA - we have many MANY small towns that you can drive through and up on the local fast-food place's sign it will say ATVs welcome in the drive through lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Back in 87 a good friend of mine was killed riding on the back of a atv with another friend of mine. He was 13.

ATV flipped. There was no chain guard and the machine landed on him and the chain and sprocket chewed up his face along with the weight crushing him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
someone is buried every other damn day in this state due to ATV accidents ... on a monday it will be some 65 year old, 3 days latter it will be a teenaged boy, week later it will be a 30 year old female

it's a serious issue here and rampant
View Quote

Same here, there have been a dozen accidents here the past year, in some cases the parents should have been charged when really young children were injured.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Buddy has them for all 3 of his younger boys and the oldest lost his rights to his dirt bike after he got caught riding without his chest protector and boots. All 3 younger boys are in full riding gear and supervised anytime the bikes are on.

The smallest of his collection is a Honda 50 and he installed a wireless remote kill. He can sit drinking beer in his lawn chair and if his youngest boy looks like he’s getting into trouble or heading towards the garage he just kills the motor and deals with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Way back in the 80s we had dirtbikes and 3 wheelers.

I was giving the neighborhood girls rides when one sweet talked me into letting her drive.  

Big mistake!  she nailed the throttle and couldn't steer with that straight axle, we went maybe 50 feet, hit the ditch, and she broke her leg
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn!!!!! That’s savage bro. True though. Besides who the fuck let’s a 6 year old ride an ATV.  Probably can’t even wipe their own ass but parents are cool with them going 40+ Mph. Get them a go cart with a massive roll cage, harness and helmet like a normal fucking parent. When they roll the thing (which they will) just flip it upright and have a good laugh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, don't let your kids drive Brodozers either............
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Damn!!!!! That’s savage bro. True though. Besides who the fuck let’s a 6 year old ride an ATV.  Probably can’t even wipe their own ass but parents are cool with them going 40+ Mph. Get them a go cart with a massive roll cage, harness and helmet like a normal fucking parent. When they roll the thing (which they will) just flip it upright and have a good laugh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, would assume it’s pretty typical. Surprised funeral homes aren’t offering financing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Ken’s and Karen’s rejoice for your thread is here !

Everything can kill you. Choose something fun !

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]
life is dangerous.  both of my kids ride and i have been riding since i was 4.  

yes, dont let your 6yr old ride unsupervised....
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Dirt bikes > atvs is the mindset for my kids. I think they are safer.

Once they outgrow their current models, I’m getting them UTV’s

I’m just not a fan of kids in ATV’s.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
My son races dirt bikes and I will not let him ride on an ATV. Those things are dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I have worked at a Level 1 trauma center.

ATVs are flat out dangerous, especially for children. Use with extreme caution.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
How I survived my youth on an ATC250R is a mystery to me.

Never let your kids ride unsupervised.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe.  Was it a brand new nice ATV, or a family hand me down, or a used $200 Chinese POS, or maybe not even theirs at all?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Grew up riding ATVs, my brother as well.  No helmets, rarely supervised, through the woods, doing jumps, etc.  It was the glorious 80s.

Needless to say we don't let our kids ride that much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My son races dirt bikes and I will not let him ride on an ATV. Those things are dangerous.
View Quote

This^^

Dirt bikes don't have a natural tendency to roll.
Dirt bikes weight 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/5 as much as an ATV.
Most people have a fear and respect for dirt bikes, but think of ATV's as toys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Kids should be supervised.  Parent on ATV in front.  Noob after parent.  Then parent (or sensible older kid) in the rear. Let them learn skills slowly and when you can trust them not to kill themselves, then unsupervised.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not risk adverse and it blows my mind that a six year old would be driving an ATV. It's not clear whether the child in question was driving or not, but it's still risky to even be riding on the back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Back when I was a kid in the 80's, my neighbors let their younger son tear up the neighborhood on their 4-wheeler. Said 4-wheeler being one of the larger ones...really too big for him. He was a spoiled brat, and his parents let him get away with murder because he was "the baby". One day, he tried to run over my dog...fortunately, she dodged out of the way. My brother, his older brother, and I were all yelling at him as he was riding, and he had turned to look over his shoulder to yell back at us. He promptly ran head first into the mailbox, which knocked him completely off the machine. We about died laughing, and his mom came out and yelled at us for laughing at him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^

I totally agree. My 4 and 8 year old both ride dirt bikes. ATV's and UTV's are a no-go. If you don't make a hill climb on a dirtbike you lay it down, turn it around and ride down. If you don't make it with 4 wheels there's a good chance you're rolling down the hill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn shame.

I’ve been riding 4-wheelers since about that age, but you have to be smart about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#32]
It's a dangerous world out there.

I'm amazed that I made it through my childhood.  I did all sorts of dumb shit on my little Honda 50.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a dangerous world out there.

I'm amazed that I made it through my childhood.  I did all sorts of dumb shit on my little Honda 50.
View Quote

Me too, I am lucky to be alive. Back when I was growing up natural selection weeded out the dumb or unlucky kids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife’s family is from (far) East Texas. All the kids run around on ATVs there. My brother in law has a gnarly scar, and everybody knows somebody who died or got seriously maimed on one, yet you see more kids on them every day.

As kids we couldn’t afford ATVs… we just had horses, bicycles, and foot-power.  Glad we stuck to safe stuff like chasing hogs and playing with rattlesnakes and stuff…
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I get nervous anytime an adult wants to ride the one I use at my farm.  With a couple of exceptions, I pretty much refuse to let kids ride it.  The exceptions being a couple kids I know well that grew up on a farm and have been operating tractors and other equipment since they were old enough to sit in their parents laps.

Most people without experience literally have no idea how tippy those things can be.  I've seen someone get on one after a good explanation of what to do and multiple exhortations to "take it really slow" and promptly roll it over.  I think it is one of those things that if someone can survive the first hour without injury, then they might have a chance.

Of course I grew up in the '80's where you were literally trying to drag your ass on the ground on the inside of the turn to keep your three-wheeler from rolling across the pasture.

I'm 49, and I still find myself lustily eyeing the restored ATC250R's when they pop up for sale.

ETA:  Death machine of my dreams... One foot on a peg, one kind wedged against the side of the seat, ass hanging way out past the fender, rear-end of the bike coming around, opposite lock on the steering...  I do miss being a kid.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Was it a brand new nice ATV, or a family hand me down, or a used $200 Chinese POS, or maybe not even theirs at all?
View Quote
They have multiple ATVs.  Do you want to delve into their finances and financial choices?  I'm game, but I doubt we could get the answers we seek.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe they also want a new truck or house, you know, to ease their grieving.  

I’m really cynical about GFM stuff capitalizing on a tragedy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not risk adverse
View Quote
I think you mean averse.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Darwin works in not so mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#43]
We have two ATVs and a SxS.  I let the kids ride them around our property in areas where I can see them.
I don't let them leave the property on them, unless with me or their mom.
I try to keep them on back roads with little to now traffic or the local OHV park.

I also started teaching my daughter to shoot a Ruger 10/22 as soon as she was big enough to shoulder it without too much wobble.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Yamaha 80 and a Honda 125 for my two year old when she gets older, but she’ll start in the RZR170 with seatbelts and a cage.

I despise polaris but someone gave me the rzr and I’m glad I’ll be able to start her in something with a cagE.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He promptly ran head first into the mailbox
View Quote
In my mind a saw a guy-wire coming up in the story.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#46]
What makes ATVs so dangerous compared to motorcycles?

Is it the lack of riding techniques, Lack of safety gear? Are they inherently unstable? Seems like at lower speeds, they should be fine but I can see them getting out of control at higher speeds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Once my boy is a little older, I'm going to get him one of  these: Electric Kart

Roll cage with belts + helmet + 10mph limit + supervision at all times. I figure with those guidelines there isn't a while lot of trouble he can get in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As kids we couldn’t afford ATVs… we just had horses
View Quote
Aren't horses much more expensive than ATVs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

ATV is in more danger than my kid.
He's kinda outgrown it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As kids we couldn’t afford ATVs… we just had horses

If you’re talking about high dollar show ponies with expensive stables and tack and feed bills, sure. If you’re talking muttly pasture pals that mostly graze the day away and are ridden bareback or with handmedown tack, not at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top