Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/8/2019 8:41:50 PM EDT
I printed the pre-loaded dog on my Ender 3 Pro and it's flawless.  Then tonight I've printed two thing....right now a sight for my kid's nerf guns are printing.  In both cases the layers aren't sticking together. I can see them separated always.  On the first one I had it at 100% infill and the current one is only at 20 or 40.   Bed is at 70, nozzle 200.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Who's PLA?

I don't usually get that hot, with pla (stay near 185's)

How do you store your filament?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who's PLA?

View Quote
The filament that came with the Ender 3 Pro.  It's been on my kitchen counter for 3 days (on the spool holder).

So I should lower the nozzle temp to 185?   15 degrees makes the difference between perfection and shit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It's odd that your calibration prints were gtg.
Other than temp, id say your nozzle distance was incorrect.
A kitchen counter is a horrible place for filament.  Way too much moisture.  Might not be the issue, now, but it's a problem you don't want.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who's PLA?

View Quote
interesting. On the spool I have it likes it about 210. I just bought it from Creality when i bought the printer so I assume its some generic PLA. I tried printing  around 190ish for a few prints and they came out pretty rough so I ended bumping it back up
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been printing the pre-loaded cat for 2 hours.  Looks perfect so far.  I'm convinced I screwed up the downloaded files somehow.  Maybe spacing, infill, etc.  But something in that process definitely was fucked up.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Cat turned out perfect. Can someone please explain what settings things need to be at when working in the slicer  (Cura) to make them as good as the preloaded cat and dog?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should be able to start out with the preloaded configurations for quality, once you set the slicer to your machine.
View Quote
Wait...I'm confused.  What do you mean "set the slicer to your machine"?

Like tell Cura I'm printing on an ender 3 pro somehow?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wait...I'm confused.  What do you mean "set the slicer to your machine"?

Like tell Cura I'm printing on an ender 3 pro somehow?

Thanks!
View Quote
Correct.
The presets for any of the popular printers on any popular slicer should print pretty dang well. If they dont, you have a prob elsewhere.
You see tons of people chase their tails with slicer settings, firmware, fancy upgrades, etc, when they refuse to accept that the real prob is they just didnt assemble the printer well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Correct.
The presets for any of the popular printers on any popular slicer should print pretty dang well. If they dont, you have a prob elsewhere.
You see tons of people chase their tails with slicer settings, firmware, fancy upgrades, etc, when they refuse to accept that the real prob is they just didnt assemble the printer well.
View Quote
Ok, I'll have to take a look at Cura to see where it lets me select that I'm printing from an Ender 3 Pro.  I didn't see any options to choose that before.  But it certainly explains why the pre-loaded prints are flawless and the ones from the SD card suck.

Thanks for clarifying!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I looked this morning and my Cura is ALREADY set to Ender 3 Pro.....any other ideas?

Maybe it has to do with layer height?  Infill, gradual infill, support, adhesion.....customize?

Again, the cat and dog are near flawless.  Yet the Nerf sight and a few other trinkets all had separating layers and were a total mess.  So it's definitely not the machine and it's something in the files.  Just not sure what everything needs to be set at.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Could be hotend temp too low.

I had a print fail just last night because my office got down to 50 degrees, cooled the print too much. I had to turn the cooling fan down to 30 percent. I was printing petg.
View Quote
It's at 200.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe a picture would help ... couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe a picture would help ... couldn't hurt.
View Quote
I can do that when I get home.  But nothing to check (or uncheck) in Cura?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, within Cura you indicated the printer profile in use is the one for Ender 3 Pro.

What version of Cura is installed?

What material did you select from the materials pulldown within Cura?

What profile are you using for that material?

What, if any, settings did you change from that profile's default settings?

BTW, my ender only came with enough filament to print 1/2 a dog.   Yours came with a whole spool.  Is there any documentation that came with the spool, labels, etc.? It might help knowing the source & product description, don't know without asking.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK, within Cura you indicated the printer profile in use is the one for Ender 3 Pro.

What version of Cura is installed?

What material did you select from the materials pulldown within Cura?

I didn't select any, but it looks like it's set on PLA.  However there are at least 3 dozen different settings within the PLA screen and I'm not sure what any of them should be set at.

What profile are you using for that material?

What do you mean by... profile?

What, if any, settings did you change from that profile's default settings?  

None, because I didn't know these settings existed.  All I did was select different infill levels depending on how strong I needed the print to be.
View Quote
See bolded replies above.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, assuming your cura window looks like this when first opened.

This is the materials pulldown (note cursor)

When clicked you get choices like this, in addition to the current selection you get an indicator that other choices exist.

Use "generic" unless you know to use otherwise.  Within "generic" you have the various filament types.

Here we choose PLA

Once you have selected a material, you can choose a "profile" to control how the material is printed.  This is the "profile" area.   Each material has various profiles to accommodate things like layer thickness,  temperature, speed, etc.

You choose the profile that matches how you want the material printed.

You can make changes to existing profiles & either just use the changes for that one slice, or save those changes into a new profile.

You make your selections & changes before doing the slicing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's at 200.
View Quote
Try it around 215 or so. Mine does good at 216 where layers were separating at 205. Now they don't.  The temp. Isn't as accurate as you think,  and maybe that nozzle runs cooler.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, assuming your cura window looks like this when first opened.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.21 AM.JPG

This is the materials pulldown (note cursor)

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.22 AM.JPG

When clicked you get choices like this, in addition to the current selection you get an indicator that other choices exist.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.22 AM 001.JPG

Use "generic" unless you know to use otherwise.  Within "generic" you have the various filament types.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.22 AM 002.JPG

Here we choose PLA

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.22 AM 003.JPG

Once you have selected a material, you can choose a "profile" to control how the material is printed.  This is the "profile" area.   Each material has various profiles to accommodate things like layer thickness,  temperature, speed, etc.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.17 AM.JPG

You choose the profile that matches how you want the material printed.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/Screen Shot 11-11-19 at 11.21 AM 001.JPG

You can make changes to existing profiles & either just use the changes for that one slice, or save those changes into a new profile.

You make your selections & changes before doing the slicing.
View Quote
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to show me that.  Now I'm curious how I can see what all the settings of the cat and dog are?  Any idea there?

If I can compare the cat/dog to the nerf sight and other do-dads....I bet I can see where the problem/difference is.  Because to be honest, none of these settings means much to me because I'm so new to it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Unfortunately .gcode files contain the results of  applying a profile to a slice & not really much of the profile itself.  You could find things like hotend and bed temperature which are specific gcode commands and inferr layer heights the magnitude of Z coordinate changes, but all those things can just as easily be found on the printer info screen while the print is running.

Try starting with something dead simple.  Get a 20mm calibration cube off thingiverse.  Start a fresh session in Cura.   Select generic pla.  Select the profile for a 0.2mm layer height.  Don't change anything. Bring in the cube .STL file.   Slice it & take the "save to removable drive .." option to save it to your SD or Micro SD card (a fresh blank card would be good).  Don't make any changes to the file name or do any manipulation of the file.  Use that same card for your print.   See what happens.   That would insure that the number of variables is kept to a minimum & give us a starting point.   Also do look for any documentation on the filament you received, that could be helpful.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would honestly say ditch the cheap mystery filament it came with.

Why spend half the spool trying to dial it in to never run that filament again?
View Quote
So you're saying the perfect could be stemming from the fact that Creality optimized the print to utilize that specific filament?  I'm waiting on my Esun PLA+ to get here...hopefully sometime this week.  We'll see how that stuff works.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unfortunately .gcode files contain the results of  applying a profile to a slice & not really much of the profile itself.  You could find things like hotend and bed temperature which are specific gcode commands and inferr layer heights the magnitude of Z coordinate changes, but all those things can just as easily be found on the printer info screen while the print is running.

Try starting with something dead simple.  Get a 20mm calibration cube off thingiverse.  Start a fresh session in Cura.   Select generic pla.  Select the profile for a 0.2mm layer height.  Don't change anything. Bring in the cube .STL file.   Slice it & take the "save to removable drive .." option to save it to your SD or Micro SD card (a fresh blank card would be good).  Don't make any changes to the file name or do any manipulation of the file.  Use that same card for your print.   See what happens.   That would insure that the number of variables is kept to a minimum & give us a starting point.   Also do look for any documentation on the filament you received, that could be helpful.
View Quote
That's a good idea with the cube.  I'll set it to .2mm.

Then I can take a pic, if still having problems, and maybe it'd be easier to guide me through what to adjust.

EDIT:  I saved it to the SD card but it wanted to do the .ufp initially so I did another file "exported" instead of "save to SD" as ".gcode"....we'll see how it works in a couple hours!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#29]
That .ufp extension  default may be a clue to what is going on (unless the ender 3 pro machine def. calls for it) Not something I have seen in several cura versions set up for a regular Ender 3.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That .ufp extension  default may be a clue to what is going on (unless the ender 3 pro machine def. calls for it) Not something I have seen in several cura versions set up for a regular Ender 3.
View Quote
My cura save the files to the SD card with the .gcode extension from the get to. I never had to export anything.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My cura save the files to the SD card with the .gcode extension from the get to. I never had to export anything.
View Quote
I'm curious how to re-configure Cura so it does the same...?

I don't think it's a direct reason for separation as the design is clearly visible and pretty well articulated.  Just that the layers aren't sticking.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree about .UFP being weird.   Maybe OP should consider going into preferences, select "printers", select "Add",   select "non-networked printers", then select "Creality3D", then choose "Ender 3".  Modify the name (like add "-test" at the end) and then click the "Add" button.    That will create a new selectable printer.   With that new printer, do the calibration cube slice process described earlier & see if it doesn't write a .G-code file automatically with no export required.

BTW - .UFP  is an Ultimaker file package , basically a zipped file of the gcode + model image.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't think it's a direct reason for separation as the design is clearly visible and pretty well articulated.  Just that the layers aren't sticking.

Thanks
View Quote
I added my printer because it wasn’t in the list (cheap ANet A8).

Maybe this will help?

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/25017-cura-351-saves-files-as-ufp/
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
The reason it may be significant is that the default file type for the Ender 3, to the best of my knowledge, should be .gcode.   If your installation isn't doing that, what else might be inappropriate for an Ender 3?   Creating a new instance of an Ender 3 printer should put all the defaults to proper values.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Update.... cube is about 3/4 done printing and looks flawless.  Now I'm really confused.

Progress!...since it printed and it's the first thing from thingiverse to do so.  But all that was different is changing the spacing to .2 instead of .06 or whatever it was at by default.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#36]

waaaaaaaaay too small a layer.   unless you changed it, you have a 0.4mm nozzle, trying to do a 0.06mm layer would be very very low flow rate.   0.1 is about as low as you want to go with a 0.4mm nozzle (OK, maybe could try 0.08 ... but no promises).    That is not one of the common Ender 3 layers.  Makes you wonder what the wall thickness was set to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

waaaaaaaaay too small a layer.   unless you changed it, you have a 0.4mm nozzle, trying to do a 0.06mm layer would be very very low flow rate.   0.1 is about as low as you want to go with a 0.4mm nozzle (OK, maybe could try 0.08 ... but no promises).
View Quote
So is this the answer as to why I was getting separation?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Actually, it can be bad going too big.  If your layers were 0.6mm, for example, that would also cause problems with a 0.4mm nozzle.  You don't want to do layers more that 3/4 the nozzle dimension at most.  With a 0.4mm nozzle you should probably stay with layers between  0.1mm and 0.28mm in thickness.   Outside that region will be headaches!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actually, it can be bad going too big.  If your layers were 0.6mm, for example, that would also cause problems with a 0.4mm nozzle.  You don't want to do layers more that 3/4 the nozzle dimension at most.  With a 0.4mm nozzle you should probably stay with layers between  0.1mm and 0.28mm in thickness.   Outside that region will be headaches!
View Quote
Ok, but if I switch all the files to .2mm should that fix the issues I've been having?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok, cube finished and I think would have been flawless.....but I ripped it off the magnet and the bottom side stayed attached....so that's my fault.

The dog and cat printed on a little waste/platform...how do I have all prints do that?  Also, how do I clean this magnet?  There's a bunch of scrap that won't scrape off.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
If you wait til things cool, they typically pop right off with no effort.   That little platform is probably a "raft" (if it extends underneath).  If it is just around the bottom edge it is a "brim".

Those are both options in the "bed adhesion" section.  You can choose  none, skirt, raft or brim.   skirt doesn't touch the model, it goes around the outside & is just there to prime the nozzle and let you evaluate the quality of the first layer before starting the actual model.  There are additional settings in that section for fine tuning.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you wait til things cool, they typically pop right off with no effort.   That little platform is probably a "raft" (if it extends underneath).  If it is just around the bottom edge it is a "brim".

Those are both options in the "bed adhesion" section.  You can choose  none, skirt, raft or brim.   skirt doesn't touch the model, it goes around the outside & is just there to prime the nozzle and let you evaluate the quality of the first layer before starting the actual model.  There are additional settings in that section for fine tuning.
View Quote
Good to know about the raft.  I think I'll try to find that option with all my prints from now on.  Thanks for help & clarification!

The plan tomorrow will be to re-do all the files for .2 instead of .06 and then come home tomorrow night and see if I can get better results.  I feel like we're coming down the home stretch here with resolving issues!!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
if i leave pla out for more than a day or 2 it begins to get water logged and becomes brittle. that can affect it as well as the water vapor cools the filament as it flows.
View Quote
I was wondering why this shit was shrink wrapped.  So it's....sensitive??  What do ya'll do, store it in ziploc?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dry box.

Gasketed storage tote at Menards works well.

You can even print directly from your dry box.
View Quote
What would it be called if I searched for it on, say, ebay?....since we have no Menards around here.

I printed some cubes last night and I'm not sure if it's the files or something wrong but the top layer didn't adhere and peeled off.  It's almost like the printer didn't know to finish it nicely and thought it was an interior layer or something.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#48]
A cheap fix is a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid, throw in a bunch of silica gel, AKA dessicant, in packs or a container.  I picked up a bunch of gamma seals for this when the local TSC had them on sale for $5 w/in store pickup.    Pick up one of the cheap dehydrators (maybe find a used one at a thrift store), cut out the tray centers & you have a way to dry out your filament & recharge silica gel.  You can use a thermometer that displays celcius with remote probe to get the right temps for what you are drying

If you want to get fancy, you can inset a hygrometer in the lid (I sealed around the edges with hot glue on mine) to know when you need to dry out the silica gel.

Some filaments are touchier than others, for example PLA & PETG are more sensitive than TPU.  The temperature should be appropriate for the material so it dries as quick as possible but doesn't distort from getting too hot.

sample time & temperature guide from PrintDry.com:

Recommended Drying Time
No. / Materials / Dryer Temp / Drying Time
1  PLA  50°C   (122°F)  > 3h
2  ABS  65°C   (149°F)  > 3h
3  PETG/CPE  65°C   (149°F)  > 3h
4  Nylon  70°C   (158°F)  > 12h
5  Dessicant  65°C  (149°F)  > 3h
6  PVA  45°C   (113°F)  > 10h
7  TPU/TPE  55°C   (131°F)  > 4h
8  ASA  60°C  (140°F)  > 4h
9  PP  55°C   (131°F)  > 6h
10 HIPS  60°C  (140°F)  > 4h
11 PC  70°C   (158°F)  > 6h
12 PEEK  70°C   (158°F)  > 6h
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I usually run 205/60 on my Ender3 with PLA, sometimes a little less.  If you have a cold print room, drafts, etc, you can have poor inter-layer adhesion.

Depends on the filament.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top