Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 7:03:07 AM EDT
Not sure if it's a coincidence, but this wasnt happening before the latest Win10 update.  I checked the boot sequence, & the correct drive is prioritized.

Is this fixed in BIOS, or is it something else?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Stuck DEL key? (Or whatever your key is that triggers BIOS)  If you have other sources you can boot from, try those.  Could be drive crashed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
check your bios to see if it's set to boot uefi or bios mode.  Whichever it is, switch it.

I can't think of anything a windows update could conceivably do other than corrupt the hard drive, which I haven't heard that this update is doing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check your bios to see if it's set to boot uefi or bios mode.  Whichever it is, switch it.

I can't think of anything a windows update could conceivably do other than corrupt the hard drive, which I haven't heard that this update is doing.
View Quote
Happened to me a few months ago. Reloaded WIN 10, it was ok for a few weeks then did it again.

Had to reload BIOS to fix it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Happened to me a few months ago. Reloaded WIN 10, it was ok for a few weeks then did it again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just needed to change a setting in bios.  I suspect windows is doing a GPT upgrade to mbr drives, which would force you to switch to UEFI boot mode.

There probably aren't a lot of mbr drives left, which is why almost no one has heard of it.

That's speculation though, I haven't heard anything to confirm it, it's just the only thing I can think of to explain it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably just needed to change a setting in bios.  I suspect windows is doing a GPT upgrade to mbr drives, which would force you to switch to UEFI boot mode.

There probably aren't a lot of mbr drives left, which is why almost no one has heard of it.

That's speculation though, I haven't heard anything to confirm it, it's just the only thing I can think of to explain it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BIOS was changing itself. It was infected.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

infected with what?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
infected with what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

infected with what?
Don't know. Never found it. Fixed the problem by reloading BIOS.

One of the symptoms was that I would go into BIOS and change the boot sequence. After a few re-boots, I looked at the BIOS and the boot sequence had changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top