Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 12/28/2022 1:09:01 PM EDT
Anyone done this Certification Recently ?
Bill
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a year or two ago. Not sure if that counts as “recent” though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BravoCharlie:
Anyone done this Certification Recently ?
Bill
View Quote

What do you need to know?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious. I am planning on taking the course, not really sure why other than why not? I've dove deep, logged many night dives . Have been told that if I dive wrecks , they ( dive charter ) requires Advanced Open Water Cert. for deep wrecks. I've done dives in the Gulf ( not deep ) and I asked the dive operator if they wanted to see my cert. card, otherwise I dont't think they would have asked. Guess they figure if you're going to pay a bunch of money to dive, your certified, who knows.  I understand there's no test, just watch  six to seven hours of video and then do three specialty dives ? I am going to do the enriched air cert. I wonder what kinda of questions will be on the test?
Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#5]
For PADI, it’s 5 dives total. Do the eLearning, not in person class.

Lots of charters require it for stuff below 60ft.

Yea, absolutely do nitrox.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It was essentially required at the three dive operations  I was at in Indonesia in November -  Most dives were over 60’ with the exception of a manta dive at 38’ max.

All dives were on nitrox as well - I believe that straight air wasn’t even available on the liveaboard.

Cards were checked at all operations.  Dive insurance was required as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t recall the exact requirements off-hand. But it’s cake to knock it out, so might as well.

Eventually did rescue diver - which includes (or requires as a prerequisite) a CPR cert.  again, while the stuff is basically common sense, it’s a cert which opens up further progression if you’re interested at all.

+1 on getting nitrox.  It’s probably the one I found the most interesting as it expands on some things you probably don’t know about until you’re in this context such as oxygen partial pressure toxicity, and so on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m200maker:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I finished it early last year with the wife. It was a great time learning new things. Do the e-learning. Nitrox. Night dives. Opens you up for more adventures.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I feel old.
1977 for Advanced

Of course, that led to DM, then OWSI and Master SCUBA Diver.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top