Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2020 12:55:40 PM EDT
One thing that really chaps my hide as a believer is when someone claiming to be a Christian "prophet" predicts something and it does not come true.

The ancients used to stone false prophets.

I'd like people to post their experiences with false prophets so we can help fulfill Matthew 24: 4--
Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many.
View Quote

I used to follow this website "religiously" (pun intended).  After reading several prophecies and keeping track of timelines for many of them, I find that this site is absolutely so polluted with false predictions that it would be a full-time job to keep track of every so-called "prophet" whose predictions did not come true.  Yet none of these authors are purged from the site even when their predictions fail.  I have even had comments deleted by the site owner that called into doubt some of these false prophets:

Z3 News

Do you have any experiences with "false prophets" that might be deceiving many people?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
TruNews

I was onto Rick Wiles a long time ago.  He predicted a nuclear attack by North Korea that never came to pass.  He predicted the last few months of 2010 would disrupt America's way of life completely.  Didn't happen.

https://endtimedelusion.com/2011/01/15/rick-wiles-on-failed-2010-prophecy-the-books-are-closed-lets-move-on/

Last 3 months of 2010 will be brutal for America. The storm that will hit in the last 3 months of the year will not destroy America but it will stagger and stun the nation. There will be a great disruption in the nations commerce, communications, transportations and supply lines that will impact America for years. Tell my people to use the first 6 months of 2010 to prepare for the last 3 months. A year of bloodshed , violence, terror and fear

. …………..my comment: I am unaware of any such event having occurred in the U.S in 2010. Also, what was especially brutal about the last 3 months of the year, that wasn’t in play during the first 9 months?

Rick will broadcast from a remote location.
He has peace about where God is sending him. Has too many enemies.
By end of 2010 Rick must leave USA to do the work
Rick Wiles will leave – will go somewhere else before end of 2010. America’s Hope tent meetings will take place first – he expects that will be his last ministry inside the borders of the USA. …………..

my comments: None of the above occurred. Rick Wiles stayed at his home in Florida. The explanation he gives now (refer to new Jan. 8 2011 broadcast, referenced below) is that he stayed because God told him he would finalize the America’s Hope tent project first, before leaving the country. …….Hmmmm, I’m pretty sure God knew that the tent project would not be completed in 2010. Also, I think it would be wise for him to  learn the difference between “enemies” and people who look at his words closely because they are presented to be from God.

View Quote

In his May 24, 2010, broadcast, link : http://www.trunews.com/Audio/5_24_10_monday_trunews2.mp3 Mr. Wiles took a big step forward in clarifying the nature of this big event that was coming in 2010 that would stagger and change the face of the country, and cut communication and transportation lines, etc. (as stated in the Jan. 8 broadcast). He named it as specifically being a nuclear explosion. He made it clear to his listeners that if what the Holy Spirit told him in January 2010 proved to be wrong he would do the right thing and publicly announce that he will never again say the Lord spoke to him.  The following is taken word-for-word from the last 3 minutes of this May 24 broadcast:

“My friends, we’re on the verge of a nuclear explosion in this country – the Lord told me at the beginning of this year, January 8, 2010. I came out of a fast and walked into this studio and told you what the Holy Spirit told me, and I’m standing by it. If I did not hear from God during that week of fasting, then I’ll never hear God. And I hope I’m wrong, I hope I hope I hope I’m wrong. With all my heart I hope I’m wrong. I hope I’m totally humiliated and never prophesy again, because I don’t want what I saw to come true. But what I heard the Holy Spirit tell me during that week of fasting at the beginning of this year, was that we had three months to seek Him in prayer and fasting, to seek His face and He would give us a plan. We would have 6 months to prepare and the last 3 months of 2010 – He said we will need His mercy to get through the last 3 months. I’m going to stand by it. Again, if I didn’t hear God, then I can’t hear God. If that wasn’t God speaking to me then I will never again as long as I live say that the Lord spoke to me. And I’m telling you tonight that everything is lining up towards a World War this year. One of the things the Holy Spirit told me in January was that many people will die in 2010, including many Christians. And He said ‘do not mourn or grieve the death of so many Christians. It is my mercy, I am taking them out of this world as tribulation starts’. The time of tribulation is near. We are in the time of sorrows. The earth is groaning. The signs are everywhere – wars and rumors of wars, pestulence and plagues, famines. The Lord Jesus Christ is coming back, and the Church isn’t ready. Arouse yourself and prepare yourself, for the Lord is coming. Arise and wait for Him. Be prepared and tell everyone you know. Jesus Christ is coming.”

On January 8, 2011, Mr. Wiles came out with an “one year anniversary” broadcast to review the message given a year ago. link: http://www.trunews.com/Audio/1_07_11_friday_trunews2.mp3

I eagerly tuned in. Was this to be the occasion that Mr. Wiles kept his promise before God and his listeners to publicly admit error, and agree to never speak on behalf of the Lord again? No, this was not the case. Sadly, this opportunity to make things right was turned into a “panel discussion” with 5 guests about whether or not the original message had indeed been a true word from the Lord. And who was on the panel? One person I had never heard of, but two were frequent guests on his show, (Mr. Nathan Leal, and Mr. Augusto Perez, who are also heavily into the prophecy realm on the internet) and the other two were announced as members of Mr. Wiles’ Board of Directors. (I think the legal profession would refer to this as a “rigged jury.”)

In this anniversary broadcast, explanations were given as to why events in 2010 didn’t seem to concur with what the message had stated. It was offered that things “were set in motion” in 2010, which would not be brought to fruition until a later date. It was offered that the “big event” that the Holy Spirit told him about was the body scanners and body searches occurring in the nation’s airports. It was offered that Mr. Wiles never left the country in 2010 because the start of the America’s Hope project was delayed.

In brief, Mr. Wiles fell miles short of admitting any error.

View Quote

On top of it all, he's becoming more and more of an Anti-Semite:

RICK WILES IS AN ANTISEMITE AND A FALSE PROPHET!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Rick Joyner

Having read his books, The Final Quest and The Call[1], I have come to the conclusion that the teachings of Rick Joyner, and those of Morningstar Ministries, are dangerous and destructive. This paper is an attempt to expose these teachings and compare them to the light of scripture, in hopes that people may avoid suffering the shipwreck of their faith (1 Timothy 1:19). I believe that Joyner’s teachings are destructive because Rick Joyner is a false prophet who attacks the sufficiency of scripture, teaches a higher life pietism, and propagates “Later Rain / Manifest Sons of God” theology.
View Quote

When I first started reading Joyner’s books, I was taken back by the number of times he described his conversations with the dead. According to www.wikipedia.org a spirit medium is “an individual who claims the ability to receive messages from spirits, ghosts, or other discorporate entities, or claims that he or she can channel such entities -- that is, write or speak in the voice of these entities rather than in the medium's own voice.”[2] By this definition, Rick Joyner is a spirit medium because he claims the ability to receive messages from the dead. In The Final Quest I counted 11 occurrences where Rick Joyner describes conversations with the dead and/or dictates the words of the dead to his readers (see pages 65, 86, 87, 92, 95, 99, 107, 111, 114, 131, and 150). In The Call I counted 7 occurrences (see pages 42, 45, 71, 72, 211, 212, and 213). I shall quote just one such conversation so you can get the flavor of his visions.
View Quote

The Bible is explicitly clear on what God thinks of speaking to the dead. Leviticus 19:31 says, “Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 20:6 also says, “And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people." Deuteronomy 18:10-12 says,

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.”

View Quote

Rick Joyner is trying to “entice” his followers from the way that God has commanded us to walk. He leads people into sin with his necromancy, drawing them away from the LORD. Isaiah 8:19-20 also forbids mediums
View Quote

If being a Necromancer weren't enough:

Not only does Rick Joyner relentlessly attack the sufficiency of scripture, he also attacks verbal plenary inspiration of scripture when he describes one of the different types of prophetic revelation.

I believe that this was probably experienced by the apostles as they wrote the New Testament epistles. This will give us great confidence, but it is still a level where we can be influenced by our prejudices, doctrines, etc. This is why I believe, in certain matters, Paul would say that he was giving his opinion, but that he thought he had [the agreement of] the Spirit of the Lord.[7]

View Quote

So the words of the New Testament are just "opinions" now???????

And worse:

Rick Joyner claims that, “Never are we told that prophecy is infallible, which is why we must judge prophecy.”[10] On the contrary, Peter tells us in 2 Peter 1:21 “for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” All true prophecy is without error because a true prophet speaks the words given to him by the Holy Spirit.
View Quote

There are other points at the link, but suffice it to say Joyner deviates from the Biblical definition of a prophet by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Matt Smith

One of the main themes of  Z3 News is that somehow Obama was going to remain president at the end of his term, or would be the final US president, etc.

A  poem by Matt Smith put Obama permanently in the White House and predicted JADE HELM would be more than the nothingburger it turned out to be.  It also predicts a lot more that turned out to be nonsense, chiefly because Mr. Smith is not afraid to quote dates.  Any false prophet worth his salt should know that you NEVER want to quote actual timelines:

At the end of the summer,
As the season reaches a climax,
JADE HELM will come to life again,
Surely it will be brought back.

The fall season will bring,
another election year,
But by this time our nation,
Will be firmly gripped in fear.

Barack Hussein Obama,
Will stay seated in his chair,
No Democrat nor Republican,
will find themselves his heir.
View Quote

2017 will follow next,
When it comes rolling around,
The changes will be different,
They will surely be profound.

America will have seen,
Destruction and devastation,
I will hold nothing back,
I will show no hesitation.

Disease and pestilence,
Will surely grip this land,
But My people do not worry,
It’s all part of My plan.
View Quote

Watch the hand of Islam,
They will shout a battle cry,
A day of terror is coming,
And many will surely die.

Now look upon the map,
And look upon it well,
You will see trouble landed,
Where American cities fell.

Now woe unto you cities,
And you states shown below,
You have angered God in Heaven,
And made yourself His foe.

Woe unto the city,
Of the Bears, Cubs, and Bulls.
Woe to San Fransisco,
You dare mock me, you fools!

I will destroy both of you,
In the hour of My fury,
You have been found guilty,
Yes, by my Heavenly Jury.

Woe unto Las Vegas,
Seattle, and the Big D,
Plagues, famine, and destruction
Are coming soon, you’ll see.

Woe unto New Orleans,
And even Florida too,
When I shoot arrows of destruction,
You shall surely be through.

Woe unto the city,
Known for the Liberty Bell,
I will take away your freedoms,
And you will see much hell.

Woe unto Baltimore,
Woe to Washington DC,
Woe to you wicked leaders,
For you must answer to Me.

I will destroy these cities,
With one single attack,
I will shoot arrows of destruction,
And I will hold nothing back.

Woe unto Boston, New York City,
And even California too,
You do not worship Me,
You say, “I answer to who?”
View Quote

Half of California,
Shall be thrown into the sea,
And New York City,
The same fate it will be.

Oh Boston, Oh Boston,
Your arrogance will be no more,
I shall wipe you off the map,
You big arrogant whore.
View Quote

An asteroid will strike,
In the Caribbean sea,
All around the world,
Tsunamis must be.

Earthquakes will come,
And will divide this land,
That we might not forget,
God deals with a heavy hand.

You shall look to the east,
And see Russians coming here,
You shall look to the west,
And see China causing fear.

They shall invade this land,
And take over this place,
America once a golden cup,
Has become an utter disgrace.
View Quote

2017 was supposed to have been a VERY busy year.  None of that happened.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the problems is that a lot of these guys take an America centric viewpoint of prophecy. Whereas America is simply a tool that God is using to bring about his will on the earth. Assyria, Babylon, Persia, etc.... all passed through history as will America. The bible is about Abraham, his seed, and the land promised.

So a lot of these guys simply don't get onto my radar because they fail the first sniff test. They are simply poor scripture analysts.

What I do enjoy is a humble student of laying out some well thought out reasoning and saying I think this is what is happening and will happen based on what happened prior and how that fit into scripture, even if they reach a wrong conclusion. That wouldn't really make him a false prophet in my mind.

I do hate reflexive fear that people have about making a predictions based on scriptural analysis. It makes prophetic understanding weaker as people become afraid to critically analyze the scriptures and tell you what they think. It allows doomers and gloomers to prosper as there is not ethos of critical analysis among the flock.

And since this is an exciting time as it relates to prophecy, it is absolutely the worst time for people to be afraid to analyze prophecy in light of current events.

That being said, Matthew 24:4 onward (to a point) (See also Mark 13 and Luke 21) is not current events and does not apply to our time. Jesus is answering a question about the destruction of the temple. In all three accounts, Jesus is talking about the temple, the apostles were asking about the temple, and Jesus answers the question about the events preceding the destruction of the temple.

The Context:  
Matthew 24:1 Now as Jesus was going out of the temple courts and walking away, his disciples came to show him the temple buildings. 24:2 And he said to them, “Do you see all these things? I tell you the truth, not one stone will be left on another. All will be torn down!”
Mark 13:1 Now as Jesus was going out of the temple courts, one of his disciples said to him, “Teacher, look at these tremendous stones and buildings!” 13:2 Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left on another. All will be torn down!”
Luke 21:5 Now while some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones and offerings, Jesus said, 21:6 “As for these things that you are gazing at, the days will come when not one stone will be left on another. All will be torn down!”

The Question:
Matthew 24:3 As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, “Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
Mark 13:3 So while he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately, 13:4 “Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that all these things are about to take place?”
Luke 21:7 So they asked him, “Teacher, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that these things are about to take place?”

The Answer:
Matthew 24:4 Jesus answered them, “Watch out that no one misleads you. 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will mislead many. 24:6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. Make sure that you are not alarmed, for this must happen, but the end is still to come. 24:7 For nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 24:8 All these things are the beginning of birth pains. . . .
Mark 13:5 Jesus began to say to them, “Watch out that no one misleads you. 13:6 Many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and they will mislead many. 13:7 When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come. 13:8 For nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines. These are but the beginning of birth pains. . . .
Luke 21:8 He said, “Watch out that you are not misled. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them! 21:9 And when you hear of wars and rebellions, do not be afraid. For these things must happen first, but the end will not come at once.” 21:10 Then he said to them, “Nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 21:11 There will be great earthquakes, and famines and plagues in various places, and there will be terrifying sights and great signs from heaven.  . . .

The temple fell in AD70. Matthew 24:4-20 (Along with Mark 13:5-20 and Luke 21:8-24) is done. Fini. Complete. Prophecy fulfilled in detail.

That being said, the times of the Gentiles are over (Luke 21:24) and Jerusalem is back under the control of the Jews.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What I do enjoy is a humble student of laying out some well thought out reasoning and saying I think this is what is happening and will happen based on what happened prior and how that fit into scripture, even if they reach a wrong conclusion. That wouldn't really make him a false prophet in my mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed.  A legitimate student who makes mistakes is just that:  a student.

A false prophet is one who claims to hear directly from God, the Holy Spirit, whatever term they use, and turn out to be wrong.

No room for error in prophecy although some will claim that no one is 100%.  The Old Testament REQUIRES 100% accuracy.

Matthew 24:4-20 (Along with Mark 13:5-20 and Luke 21:8-24) is done. Fini. Complete. Prophecy fulfilled in detail.

That being said, the times of the Gentiles are over (Luke 21:24) and Jerusalem is back under the control of the Jews.

I can't agree with these two statements.  I believe Matthew 24 simply started the time of His admonition.  I think it is still valid today.

I do not believe the times of the Gentiles are over until the Rapture; then the age of the Jews returns for the final seven years of Daniel's prophecies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A false prophet is one who claims to hear directly from God, the Holy Spirit, whatever term they use, and turn out to be wrong.

No room for error in prophecy although some will claim that no one is 100%.  The Old Testament REQUIRES 100% accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Amen. (See Deut 18:14-22).

I will also offer this, at this time the gifts of prophecy are not available for us today. Somebody giving new revelation is always on auto-reject. If you read Acts 8:9-25 critically, the gift of the holy spirit could only be given by an apostle. Once the apostles died, and the generation after them died, that was it. This fulfilled the prophecy of Acts 2:17 (citing Joel) about only the adults and the children having the gift, with no mention of endless generations having the gift.  

Paul also prophesied the gifts would cease (1 Cor 13:8-10) when the church reached a milestone (i.e. being full of love) and I hope they achieved that goal.  

Quoted:
I can't agree with these two statements.  I believe Matthew 24 simply started the time of His admonition.  I think it is still valid today.

I did at one time hold to your view.  After laying the three passages out side by side, I came to where I am now.

Quoted:
I do not believe the times of the Gentiles are over until the Rapture; then the age of the Jews returns for the final seven years of Daniel's prophecies.

I think we can have  wonderful conversation around this if we remain humble, but I am at significant divergence with you here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think we can have  wonderful conversation around this if we remain humble, but I am at significant divergence with you here.
View Quote

Maybe start a thread on this?  My prophecy study is a little rusty but I'm trying to catch up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Feel free to respond to my IM if you want to continue this discussion ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe these can help you out OP.

Jer 23: 21-21
21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.
22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

But I would recommend reading All of Chap 23,
Also all of Ez Chap 13

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
When people claim to have personal revelations from God I am suspicious.  When God tells them secrets that usually revolve around the US in the end times I am really suspicious.  When they have the web site dedicated to their secret knowledge I am not listening.  I also find it funny that they usually have dramatic illustrations and pictures.  The US is not in the Bible.  These guys like to see it everywhere in there.  

Also...I didn't know any of these people and clicked on the Rick Joiner link.  That's a really good informational web site.
I also see the Olivet Discourse as pertaining to 70 AD and the destruction of the Temple.

Sorry for the jumble..just touching all the post in one reply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
ALWAYS use deep discernment when listening to prophesy. The devil will give you 90% truth mixed with 10% lies if he can lead you astray and advance his cause. If the motive is fortune or fame, ignore it.  Having said that there are those who were/are blessed with supernatural gifts in the last days (the post Resurrection times in which we are living).   Compilation of many good (and some bad) ones at this site:  https://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/

17And it shall come to pass, in the last days, (saith the Lord), I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy: and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

18And upon my servants indeed and upon my handmaids will I pour out in those days of my spirit: and they shall prophesy.

19And I will shew wonders in the heaven above, and signs on the earth beneath: blood and fire, and vapour of smoke.

20The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the great and manifest day of the Lord to come.

21And it shalt come to pass, that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ALWAYS use deep discernment when listening to prophesy. The devil will give you 90% truth mixed with 10% lies if he can lead you astray and advance his cause. If the motive is fortune or fame, ignore it.  Having said that there are those who were/are blessed with supernatural gifts in the last days (the post Resurrection times in which we are living).   Compilation of many good (and some bad) ones at this site:  https://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/

17And it shall come to pass, in the last days, (saith the Lord), I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy: and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

18And upon my servants indeed and upon my handmaids will I pour out in those days of my spirit: and they shall prophesy.

19And I will shew wonders in the heaven above, and signs on the earth beneath: blood and fire, and vapour of smoke.

20The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the great and manifest day of the Lord to come.

21And it shalt come to pass, that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

View Quote

In all humbleness, Peter says those exact verses in Joel were being fulfilled at Pentecost (Acts 2:14-21).  

This points to a larger theme that can get conflated when understanding prophecy. The "last days" as the New Testament writers considered it were the last days of the Mosaic Sacrifices terminating in the destruction of the temple (AD70). For example Hebrews 1:1-2 ("these last days"), Acts 2:16-17 (Pentecost being the last days), and 1 John 2:18 ("the last hour").

If we consider ourselves to be nearing a prophetic milestone, I think we are approaching "the latter days" rather than "the last days".
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Never mind, I suppose I should consult the moderator first.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So can we only discuss "Christian" false prophets. In quotes because I don't consider them to actually be, regardless of what they may claim. Or can we discuss false prophets of any religion?
View Quote

Go for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Go for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So can we only discuss "Christian" false prophets. In quotes because I don't consider them to actually be, regardless of what they may claim. Or can we discuss false prophets of any religion?

Go for it.

You say that but you probably noticed the edit above from medicman. I mentioned one annnnd that was the result.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You say that but you probably noticed the edit above from medicman. I mentioned one annnnd that was the result.
View Quote

I see it.  I don't know the details.

Frankly, since this discussion has kind of already gone down the rabbit hole toward strictly Christian false prophets, it might be a little confusing to start talking about false prophets from other religions.

I say a false prophet is a false prophet, but since I'm not in charge of the place.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If He doesn’t show up first in the Kidron Valley and split the Mount of Olives in two, I’m gonna pass

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

General rule of thumb, do not disparage another religion.
View Quote

I see what you mean.  A discussion of Christian false prophets necessarily focuses on human actors that detract from the beliefs of the religion by presenting fake predictions.

A discussion of false prophets in other religions almost necessarily looks at them from the Christian perspective with the inherent calling into question the veracity of the religion itself.

Gotcha.

This thread is about fakers that harm the Christian religion (and possibly Jewish)  by making false predictions.  It's not about other religions, and it's not about questioning the veracity of the Christian or Jewish faiths, either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#20]
To be transparent my comments were about Muhammad.

Perhaps in a more analytical academic sense it could be done?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It sounds like the Mods already said that would be a no-no.

Muhammad is a major player in a major religion.
Probably you couldn't disparage Joseph Smith, either.

I was focusing on modern so-called predictors that claim to be prophets but seem to be horribly wrong on what they predict.

That doesn't disparage the Christian religion; it just calls into question some posers that use deception and try to garner attention while potentially harming established beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was focusing on modern so-called predictors that claim to be prophets but seem to be horribly wrong on what they predict.

That doesn't disparage the Christian religion; it just calls into question some posers that use deception and try to garner attention while potentially harming established beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he made some false prophecies which is the topic. I wasn't referring to my earlier disparaging comments.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In all humbleness, Peter says those exact verses in Joel were being fulfilled at Pentecost (Acts 2:14-21).  

This points to a larger theme that can get conflated when understanding prophecy. The "last days" as the New Testament writers considered it were the last days of the Mosaic Sacrifices terminating in the destruction of the temple (AD70). For example Hebrews 1:1-2 ("these last days"), Acts 2:16-17 (Pentecost being the last days), and 1 John 2:18 ("the last hour").

If we consider ourselves to be nearing a prophetic milestone, I think we are approaching "the latter days" rather than "the last days".
View Quote

Good point. For them it was the last days of the Old Covenant. My intuition and amateur research shows many signs that we are in the last of the Holy Ghost era "latter days". It's all lining up. Break those bad habits, confess your sins, and stay in a state of Grace everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top