Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 10:21:28 PM EST
I have what I thought should be an easy task, but it seems not so much.  
Maybe I'm over thinking things or just missing something.

I have an existing old fashioned incandescent outside light that I'd like to convert to use an LED RGB bulb.
I want it to function as follows:

- Day time - normally off, but optionally a means to turn it on full white

- Night time - normally set to a dim blue color, but with a wall switch to turn it on full white when desired. When the wall switch is turned off the bulb should return to dim blue.

I looked at various hubs, apps, etc and it's unclear if this can be done.  One issue I have is frequent power interruptions. I assume any light that is configured in the cloud would be unaffected by outages and retain the desired settings.  But again I really don't understand what's possible/available here.  Any help appreciated.

ETA:  I forgot to mention, I don't want to use my cell phone to control the light.  I don't mind using it to initially configure hub settings etc, but I want a physical wall switch to turn the light on full white at night when desired.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:03:01 AM EST
I'd look to see if there's a SONOS or Shelly Cloud relay you can use.  The Shelly i3 might work....but not knowing how that light works I can't say for certain.  The basic relays might work as well, but again I'd need to know how the bulb triggers the light changes.  This might even be something where buying a "smart" bulb may be the best option.  

Though I gotta ask...why blue at night?  Seen a few homes with a blue porch light and thought it was just laziness because of the "turn the city blue" thing after a local cop was killed during a routine traffic stop and they never bothered to change it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:21:38 PM EST
Paralysis by analysis.
Even you spend more time considering
solutions before starting on one you may
have other problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:11:02 PM EST
The closest thing to a "wall switch" to control the RGB function of a screw in bulb is going to be a small remote control stuck to the wall.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:39:33 PM EST
Phillips hue. Cry once , buy once. Shit just works.

I have used almost every RGBW bulb and strip there is.

Get the HUE bulbs.
Top Top