Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2020 8:41:00 PM EDT
I got my April Rifleman magazine in the mail yesterday and was rather dismayed to read an article written by Jason Ouimet, executive director of NRA-ILA.  

Mr. Ouimet said President Trump is a proven champion of the right to keep an bear arms.  So what has Trump done to show that he is a proven champion of the RKBA?  According to Ouimet, Trump says he will protect the RKBA.  That is it.  Nothing about easing restrictions on guns restricted by 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3), backing down from his obscene scheme to seize guns without due process, deregulating silencers, CCW reciprocity, eliminating the Hughes Amendment or giving back the gun accessories he had seized.

Ouimet goes on to detail in most of the article about how the Democratic candidates will take our guns or bury us in red tape; he even goes on and on about Bloomberg who is not even a candidate any more.  He did not mention that the Obama administration was responsible for the greatest easing of gun control regulations since the sunset of the 1994 AWB by authorizing 41F which eliminated the CLEO signature required for NFA firearms.

So what did Ouimet say about Trump's 312 million dollar gun grab (his administration says bump stocks are machine guns) , Trump's desire to take away guns from people imagined to be violent without due process, and his distaste for silencers?  Nothing at all.  Ouimet seems to think that Trump's disregard for American gun culture in general is an asset and that it actually means Trump supports the RKBA.

I got news for Ouimet; most Democratic Congressmen and women say they are pro-gun when they tell me that they need to balance our rights and the safety of others by banning guns.  They sound exactly like Trump.  Why does Ouimet think NRA members are stupid enough to believe him?

Randy
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they were stupid enough to swallow all the other shit we’ve been fed. Virginia was the first push-back, and the NRA had to stick their fingers in that and try to grab power. I really have no use for them any more.  We have been compromising for ever, and barely keep our head above water.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Must be one of Wayne's butt-buddies.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with most of your post except for 41F.

41F is actually more onerous since I need photos and fingerprints now to do any NFA transfer on my trust.  I understand the CLEO signoff removal helped a lot of people but trusts didn't require that in the first place.

I've stopped buying NFA items except for machineguns because of it.  My wife still laughs about my face in the passport photo I had to take to transfer my M1928A1 because I was pissed off at Obama while getting it taken.

But yeah there should have been a constant NFA amnesty through Trump's entire first term, executive orders reversing GWB's the ban on importation of "assault weapons", reversing all of Clinton's antigun EO's, and reversing GWHB's barrel ban EO.  I understand Trump's limits of power with Congress not passing anything progun when completely Republican but the EO things should have been done.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with most of your post except for 41F.

41F is actually more onerous since I need photos and fingerprints now to do any NFA transfer on my trust.  I understand the CLEO signoff removal helped a lot of people but trusts didn't require that in the first place.
View Quote

I agree that 41F has made things worse for trustees, but the most common complaint I remember reading on forums like Subguns.com was the inability to obtain the CLEO signature.  Never hear that anymore.

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top