Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2022 7:59:24 PM EDT
I ordered a primeweld 225x machine. What else should I pick up. I can do a decent job stick welding things, but I don't have a ton of experience. I don't have any other experience with anything else other than a little oxy welding, and brazing.

I only own some stick welding gloves, one of those green welding jackets which is questionably sized for my 6'6" self, and some leather shoes.

I plan to use it for welding on my intake manifolds and making things I need around the house. Please outfit me with stuff that will last, but be relatively rarely used.

ETA: I own an angle grinder, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. Keep the suggestions coming. There is already a lot I hadn't thought about.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used and abused the HF Vulcan hood- at $150 not bad for the awesome clarity.

I guess a cap.

Oh if you have a beard get the BSX neck guard. It clips to your hood and covers farther down your neck and onto your chest. Just pick up a BSX stretch welding cap at the same time.

Wire brush, angle grinder, wire brush for angle grinder

Maybe a chip hammer if you don't have one.

@killingmachine123
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A Tig Finger.  Sounds dumb, but comes in handy every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're a real pro, you need multiple angle grinders.  Keep a cutoff disc on one, flapper wheel on one, and wire brush on one.  Nothing turns a crappy weld into a great one like some quality time with the angle grinder.

Lots of vice grips and clamps.  Wire brush.  If you're talking welding on intakes, does that mean TIG?  Get a bunch of expendables like cups and filler rod.  A cart.  I bought my own bottle for gas rather than renting one.  Maybe buy some scrap metal to practice on.
If you got the room, a welding table.  Make sure you understand how you're gonna get your welder to where it needs to go.  If you need the welder near a car, you're gonna want an outlet near that car bay or a really beefy extension cord.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of food for thought already. Thanks for the suggestions. I actually own a nice metabo angle grinder and die grinder, so I have that covered.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You can never have enough clamps, buy some clamps. I like kant twist clamps and F clamps the most.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can never have enough clamps, buy some clamps. I like kant twist clamps and F clamps the most.
View Quote
I bought about 60, made in USA forged steel c-clamps at an auction last year.  Possibly the beat thing I've ever won.  4" - 18".....for $49.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I'll add all of this to the list.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Argon
Gas lens and torch consumables for 3/32" tungsten, I like my Jazzy 10 (ceramic) A LOT
3/32" tungsten, E3 or 2% lanthanated
1/16" ER70S2 filler, maybe some 3/32"
CK17 w/stubby kit, a CK20 if you're ballin
1 x 1/8" flat strap, hot roll, cut into 4-6" strips
Flap disc, skinny wheel, wire wheel on separate cordless grinders
Some steel to use as a ground base (if you don't have a table)
Amp pedal
Cart
File
Extension cord
Stick stinger
Comfy chair, I really like the one from Sumner
Layout tools (scribe, square, soap stone)
Cord jacket
Cheap bench grinder and cordless drill to sharpen

...I think that's all the shit within arm's reach when I TIG.  Most of it rides around on the machine/cart.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flap disc, skinny wheel, wire wheel on separate cordless grinders
View Quote

I'm not sold on this.  I've got the milwaukee with the biggest M18 battery they make.  The angle grinder eats the battery pretty quick.  I pull the corded and the cordless one out when welding.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not sold on this.  I've got the milwaukee with the biggest M18 battery they make.  The angle grinder eats the battery pretty quick.  I pull the corded and the cordless one out when welding.
View Quote
Corded grinders DEFINITELY still have a spot in the shop.  I use the cordless for buffing spots before weld, removing tacks I don't like or wire brushing.  All are pretty quick tasks.

If I could have only 1, it'd be cordless.  The portability is more important than battery life, to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
While I do mostly agree, I still use cordless DeWalt and Makita grinders with wire wheels and flap discs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Perused the Primeweld site and they have a water cooler for $400, which is a smokin deal compared to a Cool Mate or equiv.  That and a CK20 would be sweet $600 upgrade to any dry TIG setup because water cooled torches rock.

Poor boy option still exists- plumb the torch to your garden hose and let it spill into a bucket or onto the driveway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Perused the Primeweld site and they have a water cooler for $400, which is a smokin deal compared to a Cool Mate or equiv.  That and a CK20 would be sweet $600 upgrade to any dry TIG setup because water cooled torches rock.

Poor boy option still exists- plumb the torch to your garden hose and let it spill into a bucket or onto the driveway.
View Quote

Have my Primeweld set up that way, with the 25’ CK20. Definitely that way to go. The CK17 that comes with it is rated at 150 amps, the 20 is 250 amps. Made a 25’ ground lead for it also, and running a TIG Button.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have my Primeweld set up that way, with the 25' CK20. Definitely that way to go. The CK17 that comes with it is rated at 150 amps, the 20 is 250 amps. Made a 25' ground lead for it also, and running a TIG Button.

View Quote
I have 2 ground leads.  The big honkin SOB, like 2/0, and 15' of #4 with a lug on the end.  When doing light work, which is most of the time, I clamp the little ground in the big ground so the heavy lead stays coiled on the machine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have 2 ground leads.  The big honkin SOB, like 2/0, and 15' of #4 with a lug on the end.  When doing light work, which is most of the time, I clamp the little ground in the big ground so the heavy lead stays coiled on the machine.
View Quote

Yea, the 25’ I made is 1/0 with a bronze clamp. Kept the little one for small stuff
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up the Vulcan hood yesterday, along with some 6011 rod. I'll hook up a 220 outlet for it in the garage soon. The 110 capabilities are more than I need right now, but 220, or maybe 221 will obviously be better. You know, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I took a shot at making a table top out of some scrap shelves I have lying around. I should have done it a different way, but this as a good day full of learning. The roughly 16ga steel was impossible to weld with the 1/8 6011 rod that I had. I went to the store and picked up some 6013 and it did much better. The thinner rod and different type made all the difference. I ran it at 55 amps and it had no problems. Unfortunately, dialing in my helmet with the previous rod left quite the mess to weld over and holes to fill. I think I could make the same weld look way better next time. I might do that just to see what a difference a little practice makes.

thaks for all the suggestions on this guys. This is the first time I've ever welded anything at home and it's a proud moment regardless of what the weld looks like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Watch where the sparks go, I've caught many rags on fire before. Kinda on that topic, make sure to wipe off or blow off any shop solvent off your parts prior to welding (like the crc stuff) . I've been told that stuff can really fuck you up and even kill you if you heat it up enough to become a vapor. Most likely it will require a substantial pool of it but I don't want to be a test dummy to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been told that stuff can really fuck you up and even kill you if you heat it up enough to become a vapor. Most likely it will require a substantial pool of it but I don't want to be a test dummy to try it out.
View Quote
It's the chlorinated stuff, and it doesn't take much for you to go WTF.  CRC green can is non-chlorinated and good to go.  The red can is a no-go for cleaning prior to weld.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the safety tips guys. I did my welding out in the drive on crushed brick, and at least 10ft or so from anything which could catch fire. I'm leery about it, and definitely don't be doing any stick welding in the garage or house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top