Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2018 12:12:59 AM EDT
Does anyone on here use the open comb DE razors?

What are the advantages of them?

What is a good model/brand?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I only have one non open comb and I also want to try an open comb.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
They do not clog up as easily as safety bar razors (also known as closed comb razors) which is great if you let your hair grow out from time to time.

I guess they could be more sensitive to pressure than a safety bar as the safety bar would push all of the skin down in front of the razor blade versus only the teeth of an open comb pushing your skin down. The thing is you're only supposed to use just enough pressure to maintain contact with your skin, pressing down on the razor is bound to cause problems.

They are not necessarily more aggressive than safety bar razors because just like safety bar razors they run the gamut from mild to very aggressive.

I have two open comb razors.

I have a Muhle R41 head, which is sort of a hybrid safety bar with teeth (see picture below), that is real aggressive and I have to be careful with the blades I use and make sure I take my time & pay attention when shaving with it.

I also have a Wolfman WR1 OC Razor with a 0.74 gap that is my favorite razor.

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that info Tarheel.  I'm thinking about trying one out, maybe from Italian Barber since they have a few cheaper ones.

That Wolfman razor is really nice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I love my Wolfman. I was lucky enough to get my order in before he raised his prices. When my time on the list came up I asked Mr. Dufour if he could apply the textured grip to the handle instead of the usual knurling and he was kind enough to grant my request. I think it turned out great.

I have been contemplating getting a slant myself but know if I did I would more than likely still be inclined to use the Wolfman 90% of the time. Every time I have got close to ordering one I end up thinking that the money would be better spent on soap, aftershave or razor blades.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking at a RazoRock brand open comb I may get.

If I really like them I may get a more expensive one similar to the one you have.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought I read one time that they are supposed to give a smoother shave since a closed comb wipes away more shaving cream before the blade actually gets to the hair.
I don't know how true that is, since I have only used a closed comb.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a 1940's Gillette and I love it. It's a bit more aggressive razor but I have no issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my open comb razor from Italian Barber last week.  It's their Razorock brand and it shaves really well.  I only used it three times, but it gave me a really good shave.  For a $14.00 razor, it shaves really nice and it's my favorite razor.  I also got the Razorock P160 shaving soap and it's awesome too.  Here are a few pics of it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone on here use the open comb DE razors?

What are the advantages of them?

What is a good model/brand?
View Quote
Gillette Original Model, now called, by many, the "Old Model."

Find one that looks like this. Older models will have a serial number on the tube, internal to the handle, or on the underside of the cap.  Gillette made their best razors first.

They should have 14 teeth on each side, and the teeth should be straight. Even if they are not straight, which can be okay too, DO NOT attempt to straighten them, they will break off. Just use them as the are.

Apply NO pressure, let the razor do the work, or you will bleed. There is a learning curve here. LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT touch.

The advantage? These razors will give you the best shave of your life. And, you can pass them down to your children.

Do not shave until you can feel no stubble when wet, that s TOO close; just shave to smoothness. Smoothness when dry is what you're after.

My earliest is a 1905; I also have other early 00's models, and mid-'10s war models. All are fantastic shavers 113 years on. I buy every one I can find.

Modern Zamak (zinc) razors are mixed value to crap. Avoid them. Buy the original.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently bought and have now used about 5 shaves.
the Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR5 Stainless Steel Handle, with their the V2 Open Comb head.
Handle length is the same as my Gillette Fatboy
Very comfortable nice grippy handle, and a great shave.
(yes I need to clean it ;) )

Couple of quick potato photos:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top