Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2020 12:58:14 PM EDT
Got a chance to meet up with one of our pastors.

Online Church attendance is up 30% vs. traditional service and so are donations.

That was surprising to hear.  I figured they would be struggling in both categories.

Are any of you others seeing a similar thing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna take a while for the metrics to get completely sorted out. You don't get an accurate head count when an entire family sits down to service with one online connection. It's a bunch of mini Churches connected to the parent Church. Giving online may be generally more comfortable than passing a plate publicly to people though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My church asks for the names of any additional family members on their attendance form.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My church asks for the names of any additional family members on their attendance form.
View Quote

With Zoom, we indicate in our screen name, how many are attending.  

i.e. John Smith (4)
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't go to church, but I've been meaning to find a stream. Heard about streams while listening to CSN radio.

I rent a low income oriented apartment owned by a faith based org. The buildings are old and often need maintenance. I suspect donations have skyrocketed just from the activity I've seen, and supplies being brought to their homeless shelter next door.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't go to church, but I've been meaning to find a stream. Heard about streams while listening to CSN radio.

View Quote

Check out our church!  You will hear expository biblical preaching and the actual gospel of Jesus Christ every single Sunday at 10 am central time.  All previous sermons are also available at the same place, which is right here:

https://video.ibm.com/channel/realtreechannel
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting, we don't do any kind of online attendance other than number of streams.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
We have several international members, and some members that have family from of state.

Our attendance has remained flat, but we have several people joining us from out of state and out of country, but at the same time our members from out of state and country are visiting old friends online. It kindof worked out as a wash for us.  

That being said, using zoom we allocate 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after meeting for people to gab which allows much better personal connection.

And as a bonus, my daughter is attending Sunday school with a church from San Diego and has made some new friends. The teacher really knows how to make it work.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting, we don't do any kind of online attendance other than number of streams.
View Quote

They’re All about filling out the “connection card” whether in person or using the app.  *shrugs*
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Check out our church!  You will hear expository biblical preaching and the actual gospel of Jesus Christ every single Sunday at 10 am central time.  All previous sermons are also available at the same place, which is right here:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will do that, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I would enjoy your church.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
It appears our attendance is up as well, but we haven’t been focused on that. Haven’t paid attention to the dollars, but the bills are being paid and missions are supported. We’re using YouTube to keep it easy for everyone and you can find us at 121 Community Church on there. I’ve been enjoying watching a variety of churches now that everyone is going online.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you would.  It's the best church I have ever been to.  Our Pastor is a God-fearing preacher who is not afraid to preach the truth.  He knows that his job is to preach the Gospel, whether or not that's what someone wants to hear.  No fog machines, guitar solos, or sermons designed to make people laugh.  Just pure biblical preaching of the Gospel.  I love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if "attendance" is up or not.  My mens' group has seen a small decrease as we shifted from in-person to  virtual meetings.  

Those who are attending the meetings have a deep thirst to return to Mass and receive the sacraments.  Confession attendance is up.

I'm not privvy  to financial info, but I have increased my  giving.

My hunch is that there may  be a slight decline when we return, but that those who  remain will be increasingly committed.  

That's how this Lent and Easter season have been for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How is it possible that giving is going up? The unemployment rate went from 3 to 20+% almost overnight.
View Quote

I think it is an awesome sign that people doing as their God would want them to do, that is be generous when they see people in need.  
I know people who are negatively impacted by the virus who need my trump bux a lot more than I do.

Mathematically how it works is that the most generous givers are likely those most well off and are likely not negatively impacted by the virus so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#16]
My church has a number of seniors who are having a hard time with the online stuff. We stream on FB. Apparently you can view a stream even if you're not a FB member, but I'm not sure how well that works. I know some of our folks are watching YouTube streams from other churches as YT is easier for the seniors to access.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My experience is this:

We are a church replant with less than 50 in attendance

Our usual online viewership is around 100

Since quarantine it’s been around 800

I can’t explain it,  it I’m not complaining
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My experience is this:

We are a church replant with less than 50 in attendance

Our usual online viewership is around 100

Since quarantine it’s been around 800

I can’t explain it,  it I’m not complaining
View Quote

They can randomly church hop/shop with a click of the mouse. They don't have to change out of their jammies and get dolled up. They can kick back in the recliner and eat donuts instead of braving the cold rain and long drive. They can hear the sermon without being surrounded by hypocrites and sinners.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I do not like attending mass via TV. I make it as formal as I can but it just doesn't offer the same effort for me.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Montana has been cleared to hold service in house again with limitations but most if not all are sticking with streaming partly to wait and see and partly to allow time to work out the details. Tough decisions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top