Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2020 10:01:25 PM EDT
My 12 year old has been bugging me for about 6 months now about how he really wants to get into smithing. I'm willing to indulge but am a bit intimidated after researching online with all the different methods or home-brew stuff.

Does anywhere sell a "starters" kit as it were? Propane forge type thing, small anvil, hammer and tongs, etc? He would start out making small odds and ends, probably working his way up to a small knife.

I don't want to break the bank necessarily as I have a sneaky suspicion he's gonna lose interest once he discovers its hard work but willing to throw a few 100 at it at least. I'm sure I'll mess around with it too

Have asked him about casting but he seems...reluctant on that. I guess hitting shit with a hammer is more what he wants to do as opposed to pouring a mold.

TIA for any leads
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that. I'll definitely get him out there. I'd love for him to start off learning properly.

Only concern is that he might be too young? Most people I've talked to (like at the renfest) said 16 to start. I'm sure its for legal and liability reasons.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Centaur is great place for supplies.    Starting out look for used equipment.
Anything and everything you might need.
centaur forge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top