Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2022 5:39:43 PM EDT
I need a bolt action. I either want the Steyr or Ruger. Either in .308. Don’t try to sell me on something else. I like the platform. I also love and carry a 1911. I’ll be 40 in October so not a boomer

I had the Ruger before but ended up trading it. Curious more about the Steyr. What’s the quality like?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I also had the Ruger and traded it. I wish I had kept it. But now I am thinking about one in .450

ETA: Dear sweet lord this is sexy…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both. My only issue with the Steyr is the bolt handle configuration, had to use medium height rings on the scope to get the necessary clearance.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you even find a Ruger scout new?  I thought Ruger quit making most of their guns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the original Ruger Frontier, and it is one of my favorite ‘walkin’ around’ guns
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need a bolt action. I either want the Steyr or Ruger. Either in .308. Don’t try to sell me on something else. I like the platform. I also love and carry a 1911. I’ll be 40 in October so not a boomer

I had the Ruger before but ended up trading it. Curious more about the Steyr. What’s the quality like?
View Quote

M1A scout. Like God intended.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
One thought I had about a Scout Rifle - Use a conventional scope base pic rail, place a RDS forward position and utilize a removable magnifier (flip-to-side if you must).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA: Dear sweet lord this is sexy…
View Quote

Yep I would love to buy one if Ruger was still in the gun business.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I want the Ruger Scout, but the MSRP is about $200 higher than the new Ruger .308 AR.

I wanted the 18" blued barrel with the synthetic stock which is a combo they don't currently offer. I've read that the rear sight and scope rings hold zero when removed so my idea was to zero the rear sight for M80 and a Leupold 4x33 for hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you even find a Ruger scout new?  I thought Ruger quit making most of their guns.
View Quote

I had wondered this as well. Haven’t seen any
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The Steyr is very well made but it incorporates a lot of plastic! Not likely an issue if you enjoy the AR-15, but the traditional bolt-action fans are often not impressed.

My experience is you want a brake or suppressor for bipod use; the rifle is extremely light and has significant muzzle jump without either.

The only ‘issue’ I’ve had with it is the BUIS are too low. I physically cannot get a cheekweld low enough to use them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Mossberg MVP Scout in .308 that I really like.

I also have a M1A Scout Squad that I also really like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Steyr and I’ve been hunting with it for 4 or so years.  In my opinion it’s the best hunting rifle you can find. It’s length and weight (without scope) are comparable with the Winchester 94, it has a very smooth , very quick bolt, and has lots of other cool features.  With high quality hunting ammo, I can do about 1/4 - 1/2 inch MOA
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I want a Ruger but I want a stripper clip cut and a flush mag.  Scouts carry best from the action.  I wish I could find a bubba’d  03A3, I’d put a scout mount on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Love my ruger scout but it is a mehh gun. Heavy for a scout rifle and the action is not smooth. You can jam up the action just by cycling while pulling up on the handle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Ruger Scout, it's a great hunting carbine:

I had a Steyr Zephyr 2 for about a week that had absolutely gorgeous worksmanship, but the bolt mechanism and trigger were horrendous; soured me on the whole brand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Every time I think these horrid things have died, they reemerge like some syphilis ridden zombie.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Ruger GSR.  I've been thinking about getting rid of it.  It just doesn't fill any needs.  The idea that it fills *every* need, just doesn't quite work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every time I think these horrid things have died, they reemerge like some syphilis ridden zombie.

View Quote

It's just a bolt action rifle, nothing to be afraid of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why? What's wrong with them?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

well for one thing, you're liking something that I don't like
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love my ruger scout but it is a mehh gun. Heavy for a scout rifle and the action is not smooth. You can jam up the action just by cycling while pulling up on the handle.

View Quote

Been saying the same about the action on my Hawkeye Compact. The action is SLOPPY. About the only way I found to operate it without having to worry about the bolt slop causing interference during reload is work it fast and with authority. Sucks if you’re using a scope with a larger ocular bell but using taller rings is the fix for that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]
When did M1A Scouts get so expensive?  I swear these were $1200-1500 just a couple years ago...  now they start at $1800

Really digging this one

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If playing Counterstrike on dial up internet in the 90’s taught me anything it’s that the Styer is the one you want.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 6.5 CM Ruger American I put in a Boyd's laminate. Pillar bedded with Boyd's aluminum hardware kit. It is by far my favorite rifle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t care what the haters think I love my Ruger Scout rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One thought I had about a Scout Rifle - Use a conventional scope base pic rail, place a RDS forward position and utilize a removable magnifier (flip-to-side if you must).
View Quote

Some of the reasons for mounting forward was to clear the top of the action to facilitate eyes-off reloading and grasping the piece at the balance for carry in one hand; if the rifle had a charger guide, it also facilitated reloading with chargers.  I do wonder if anyone makes offset scope mounts that keep the top of the action clear while mounting the scope to the rear.  Some military rifles had mounts like this back in the day (like for the K-31 or Garand, and even the FAL).

The other reason was it was a means for a fast optic with some magnification based on the tech of the time the scout rifle was conceived; Cooper himself was open to the idea of newer stuff like red dots as alternatives.  Of course, a scout rifle can be irons-only as well; an IER optic was not a mandatory feature nor the defining feature of the concept.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Steyr much more closely meets spec if that's something you're concerned about.  Also good quality and has some neat features.  The Ruger is more "scout-inspired".  Steyr should be lighter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
If ruger made the GSR in 300 BLK, I’d be all over it in an instant.  But they don’t, which is really annoying because how hard is it to just put a different barrel on?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If ruger made the GSR in 300 BLK, I’d be all over it in an instant.  But they don’t, which is really annoying because how hard is it to just put a different barrel on?
View Quote

You can put Nodak sights on a .300 Ruger American.

Anyone have a Savage 110 Scout?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Buy once, cry once:

Tikka T3x Arctic / Canadian Rangers C19 Rifle, 7.62 / .308 Win
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Did someone say scout rifles?  What is this fuckery?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 16.5.  It was nice, took several deer with it, but I just don't see it when you can carry a 12.5 6.5 Grendel or whatnot.

Oh, and the fun thing on GSR, you could the firing pin to trip about 1 in 5 times putting the AICS mag in.  My buddy figured that out when he went to use and had one in the chamber and put a full mag in.  I saw it, no finger on the trigger.  I was able replicate it using a full mag and just the rifle cocked.  Ruger took it back to fix, said "that was not good".
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't do anything well...and the concept has zero merit. Forward mounted optics are horrible, and detachable mags make their use irrelevant. The Gunsite is a heavy turd, and the Steyr is a plastic mess.

With lightweight stocks like those from AG Composites and CF barrels, you can build a very usable, very capable sub 8lb rifle with a good piece of glass and avoid all that Cooper nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Ruger Scout

Plenty of new ones on GB. I’ve been looking at one of these. Screw the haters. They are good rifles. I love the Scouts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]
A 1903a3 Sporter would make a good base for a scout rifle. The 5 round stripper clips would be a big bonus. It would also be extra fuddy to drive some nuts.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
This rifle, in this trim with a Bushnell Nitro FFP and 20" tube weights right at 9lbs. After I cut the barrel down to 16", swapped the glass for a LRTSi in Talley LWs, I am under 9lbs with Silencerco Harvester. If I can ever make myself spend the dough on a CF tube, and do some lightening to the bottom metal, I can come in under 8 all in.

To hell with a Scout Rifle.

" />
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

If you have a K98 Mauser, I will send you a scout mount for free. (Have extra that did not work on VZ-24)
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If playing Counterstrike on dial up internet in the 90’s taught me anything it’s that the Styer is the one you want.
View Quote

That's why I want one
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone make any decent scout scopes anymore?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They don't do anything well...and the concept has zero merit. Forward mounted optics are horrible, and detachable mags make their use irrelevant. The Gunsite is a heavy turd, and the Steyr is a plastic mess.

With lightweight stocks like those from AG Composites and CF barrels, you can build a very usable, very capable sub 8lb rifle with a good piece of glass and avoid all that Cooper nonsense.
View Quote

Where am I going to get a rifle with the adjustable LOP, magazine and spare magazine storage and bipod office the steyr for under $2000?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

For how dirt cheap it was, I really like the glass on my Hi-Lux scout scope with the BDC reticle.

I have had it over a year, shooting stout 8x57 loads without any issue.

The company is more well know for vintage reproduction scopes.......... which I also want to get for my rolling block in 44 Mag.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where am I going to get a rifle with the adjustable LOP, magazine and spare magazine storage and bipod office the steyr for under $2000?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You aren't, because that stuff is nonsense.

Adjustable LOP stocks are easy if largely unnecessary, spare mag storage and stowable bipods are just gadgets.

Quoted:

No...because no one buys them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You aren't, because that stuff is nonsense.

Adjustable LOP stocks are easy if largely unnecessary, spare mag storage and stowable bipods are just gadgets.
View Quote

I could take or leave the other stuff but my LOP for shooting prone in the heat is 1” longer than my LOP for hunting from a blind in a late season hunt in the Midwest. Let alone if I want to have a youth use my rifle instead of buying another.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the Mossberg Scout in 308. Nice rifle for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Funny, I use the same LOP year round, whether in t-shirts and prone or coats and and in a blind.....I understand the technical difference, but realistically its a non-issue that adds weight and complexity. For a kid, well, thats an issue I don't concern myself with. If I did, I would probably put him behind an AR.

If adjustable LOP is THAT big of a deal, stocks like the KRG Bravo offer that capability with a sacrifice of weight. For a lightweight build, a chassis from MDT with an AR style stock satisfies that requirement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Funny, I use the same LOP year round, whether in t-shirts and prone or coats and and in a blind.....I understand the technical difference, but realistically its a non-issue that adds weight and complexity. For a kid, well, thats an issue I don't concern myself with. If I did, I would probably put him behind an AR.

If adjustable LOP is THAT big of a deal, stocks like the KRG Bravo offer that capability with a sacrifice of weight. For a lightweight build, a chassis from MDT with an AR style stock satisfies that requirement.
View Quote

A 15.5” LOP and a down jacket don’t go together and an AR can’t go with me to Africa. For that matter I like to change my LOP for prone and upright shooting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top