Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2020 11:23:32 AM EDT
I have a TV that is around 12-13 years old.  Vizio VP422 HDTV10A , 42" Plasma in glorious 720p.  I game (console, emulators) and watch TV/Movies (OTA and streaming HD media from internet and my media center) with the family on it.  I'm going to be replacing it soon and have been doing some research and would like to know if I'm on the right track or if I should be looking somewhere else.

I would rather have a better gaming TV due to input lag, refresh, repsonse, etc than one that better reproduces color/images.  I've seen friends and family's TVs that would have image issues (rip, tear, jitter?) during sports and movies and it's big turn off for me. I think I'll be happier with a more gaming centric TV for those reasons.

Rtings lists the LG OLED as a contender, but I don't trust the family to not burn it in due to pausing a show to chase kids, wash dishes, channel symbol burn in, etc.  To be safe I'd like to stick to something like the Samsung QLED types.

The TV will probably be mounted to a wall with an adjustable mount, so viewing area isn't super important.  The viewing distance is about 12 feet, from couch to mounting location.  I don't give a shit about smart TVs and would rather the TV not be on my network.  I also don't really care much about the built in speaker(s).  I will be using a home stereo for movies/gaming but for every day TV shows, the built in speaker should suffice.

I'm looking in the 65" size range and am torn between the Samsung QN65Q80RAFXZA and the Vizio VIZIO P SERIES QUANTUM X.  They are nearly neck and neck in lots of areas, but the Vizio is a decent amount cheaper, but the Samsung does eek out the Vizio in some areas.  My price is around $1,500 to $1,800 range and remember, I haven't looked into TVs in over a decade, so I don't really know what to expect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Samsung does not have an OLED available in the US...it is a QLED.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoops, edited!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top