Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/28/2018 12:09:09 AM EDT
So I’m at 350 6’3”, a good bit is muscle weight, but I got a gut (no lie).
I was hospitalized for pneumonia about two months ago and had my “come to Jesus” moment with myself. Not that my weight had anything to do with the outcome, but I had time by myself to think.
So I started making changes.
July I cut pop out of my diet. If I have pop, it has liquor in it.
August 1 I quit sweets. No candy, no ice cream, no sugar that isn’t needed

August 15 I started a new diet, slowly transitioning towards the carnivore diet (meat, meat, and more meat)

To give you an idea of where I’m at,
Breakfast: 3 eggs over medium, two pieces toast, sausage, and water.
Lunch: 4oz of ground beef
Dinner: venison tenderloin with honey mustard sauce and ground venison.

Went to the gym and did a mile on the eleptical and then did bi/tri workout, then did 8 flights of stairs (damn near killed me) and then 3 miles on a recumbent bike.

Thinking of tapering off the carbs and getting rid of the breakfast toast.

What do you guys think of the carnivore diet?
My goal is to drop weight, that’s my primary goal.
Will eating carbs early in the day help?  I was told that it made a difference.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
In 2018, if you have a problem with weight, and especially if a problem with blood sugar, then SOME version of a reduced carbohydrate diet is the default place to start.  Permanent, long term, not a diet.  Every day, all the time.

Best to you, OP, in all seriousness.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of the carnivore diet?
View Quote
You gotta be eating at least SOME fiber, or you're going to have conversations with yourself on the toilet like "Funny, I don't *remember* swallowing a softball covered in broken glass."

Cut out sugar, keep portion sizes reasonable, and exercise, and you should be losing weight.  If not, cut *some* of the complex carbs as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In 2018, if you have a problem with weight, and especially if a problem with blood sugar, then SOME version of a reduced carbohydrate diet is the default place to start.  Permanent, long term, not a diet.  Every day, all the time.

Best to you, OP, in all seriousness.
View Quote
Thanks for the support. I am lucky that I have avoided any issues with diabetes. I’m at risk though, Dad had it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You gotta be eating at least SOME fiber, or you're going to have conversations with yourself on the toilet like "Funny, I don't *remember* swallowing a softball covered in broken glass."

Cut out sugar, keep portion sizes reasonable, and exercise, and you should be losing weight.  If not, cut *some* of the complex carbs as well.
View Quote
I actually haven’t had any issues on the throne.
If anything I have gone less. Still haven’t gone today.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I started eat a Ketod diet 30 days ago. I have lost 11.4 pounds last time I weighed. I a, under 200 pounds, though. I do not work out at all. I would like to start but use the excuse that I don't have time.

When you really look at all the carbs in just about everything it makes you realize how much of that we take in. We eat a lot of stuff that is pure crap.

I was talking to one of my customers the other day. He is probably 65. i told him I noticed he has lost some weight. He to.d me he has lost 68 pounds but still weighs over 300. He cut out all fried foods but has stalled out.

So, as an experiment, try to cut out more and more carbs. Beings that you are already working out I have a feeling you can meet your goals. Let me challenge you, no bread, no beans, no rice, no sweets, no more carbs that what is absolutely necessary, and those should come from vegetables. If you don't see a noteworthy improvement in 2 weeks, that you won't have lost anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Eat 1800 calories.

Low carbs.

No sugar or candy.

Walk 3 miles a day.

You'll lose 100 pounds in 1 year.

I did
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Low carb brother.  I drink diet drink and do zero exercise.  
333lbs  eat until I’m full just low carb stuff.

265lbs
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuSgwCNSgE
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Weight everything you put into your mouth (and swallow), track with my fit pal.
Do that for two weeks eating what you eat now.
Then you will really know your "cals in"
Then cut 10-15 % of your intake until you stall and cut again.

Keto=works if there is a calorie deficit
Weight watchers=works if there is a calorie deficit
Hig carb==works if there is a calorie deficit
Low carb=works if there is a calorie deficit
All diets=work if there is a calorie deficit

Calorie deficit is the only answer, no magic diet.
If you think otherwise, you also believe in perpetual motion.
That pesky 1st law of thermodynamics

"Hibernation mode"=BS, yes if you are in a large deficit you will not have as much energy=you sit on your ass more = thus burn less cals, but not because of a magical metabolism shift.

Yes, I am an A-hole, but calorie deficit is the ugly, unpopular truth=no magic diet, no magic time of day to eat, just plain calorie deficit over time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I lost 100 lbs.  I tracked calories using the myfitnesspal app.  I took long walks.  I followed people who had lost weight and other fitness type channels on youtube.

The biggest thing for me was the mental aspect of it on multiple levels.  I had told myself eating was one of the few things I enjoyed in life. I would binge eat to attempt relieve stress.  There was no advice or anything someone could have said to me that would have made me change.  I got sick and tired of being fat, I hated it and one day it clicked in my head that I had it in my power to lose weight.  People with more stressful jobs or family or money situations had lost weight or were normal weight and my mind cleared out all the excuses. It was literally one thing in my life I had almost absolute control over.

Several people at work have asked how I did it or ask for advice.  I don’t know what to say, how does anyone lose weight, they eat less.  What I did was all stuff I already knew, it was something that clicked in my head that changed.

You will be hungry, it will stress you out, you will confront things that eating and/or drinking were helping you avoid, it’s not easy but it is something you can do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I lost 99.5 pounds from 300 pounds having a Doctor's report saying I was "Morbidly Obese". I just couldn't get that last half pound off.
Got back to the weight I was following basic and AIT many years back doing Keto. The majority of the weight absolutely fell off over just a handful of months with that last 20 pounds taking another 8 months. I went back to eating some carbs and bumped up 13 pounds in 3 days.
Since quitting Keto last December I've been lifting weights and doing cardio and consuming a little more carbs. Physically I'm a stronger and healthier person. I'm 30 pounds up some added muscle and some fat, heading into another Keto bout to cut fat again. Looking just to stay under 220lbs my overweight/obese BMI line. At 220lbs I still have plenty of fat to hide those shy abs.

A few things I've learned that works for me. If I'm stagnant in weight then I'm consuming enough to maintain that weight. So if I want to have lower numbers on the scale, I need to consume less. Your body weight is controlled strictly by what goes in the mouth hole. If your Obese you adjust your weight in the kitchen. Your physical strength and endurance is controlled by simply doing more. So, if you want to loose weight - eat less. If you want to be stronger and have more endurance - do more.

This is a typical food daily intake: Breakfast is normally a fried egg with 2 pieces of sausage with a black coffee. Lunch a small salad with some meat, cheese, and some low carb dressing/oil. Dinner is low glycemic vegitables and some meat. Also a low carb whey protein shake during workouts if doing any that day. Drinking almost always water occasionally with some 0 calorie Propel packets.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
There is no magic way to lose weight, it’s all calorie deficit.  I use the IIFYM method (calculate how many grams of protein/fat/carbs you need based on age, activity level, etc).  You use an online macro calculator and recalculate with your new weight after a few weeks.  All the best.

Here is a link for a calculator:

https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

Then buy a scale, measuring cups to measure all of your food.  4 calories per gram  for protein or carbs, 9 calories per gram of fats.  You can find the grams of protein/fat/carbs/serving size on most food labels and use Google and the weight for the foods without labels.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
You're telling me you can't find some way of including vegetables?

I like meat as much as the next guy, but the idea of a carnivore diet is silly. Get some broccoli in there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Keto. I lost 100lb doing that a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Nature likes balance in EVERYTHING so cutting all carbs is silly and unsustainable.  Extreme fad diets are just that, extreme and fads.  Cut out the extremes and try to bring that balance into your life and diet.

There are three macro nutrients; protein, carbs and fats.  Your body needs all three (balance).  But along with that there are different kinds of carbs; simple and complex.  Simple carbs are sugars.  Cut those out.  Vegetables are complex carbs.  These are great for you.  They'll provide sustained energy.  So as others have said, get My Fitness Pal and use it to track your daily calories plus your macro nutrient breakdown.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Screw all that hardcore diet shit for now. You need to get your head wrapped around changing daily habits into second nature. The mental aspects are tougher to get through but give better long term results than crash dieting.
Start off by not changing too much in what you eat right away but stay focused on the amount. Get mentally used to not having that extra taco or two. In short order you will not miss it. You will overcome that mental block that you needed it.
Couple that with a 3-4 day a week exercise routine of some kind..? Matters little what. Just start doing it.
Short answer: Move more eat less for the first 6-8 months. If you get that down as your normal routine of everyday life. You are then in great shape to then make other changes and they will come easy.
The mental aspect is realy tough.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nature likes balance in EVERYTHING so cutting all carbs is silly and unsustainable.  Extreme fad diets are just that, extreme and fads.  Cut out the extremes and try to bring that balance into your life and diet.

There are three macro nutrients; protein, carbs and fats.  Your body needs all three (balance).  But along with that there are different kinds of carbs; simple and complex.  Simple carbs are sugars.  Cut those out.  Vegetables are complex carbs.  These are great for you.  They'll provide sustained energy.  So as others have said, get My Fitness Pal and use it to track your daily calories plus your macro nutrient breakdown.
View Quote
You realize you eat vegetables on keto right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I did 100lbs on myfitnesspal and cycling...I wont win any benchpress contests but ill probably whoop some guys half my age at the local crit race tonight
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you eat them, in very limited quantities.  It's just the latest high protein, low carb fad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
All kinds of approaches can work. Extremes like carnivore or raw vegan may work for some, but I would consider them tools to be applied when necessary.

To keep things simple:

1). Eliminate processed foods from your diet completely.  Eat meat, fish, and vegetables seasoned with herbs and spices, not sugary honey mustard, teryaki, and bbq sauces. No bread, crackers, pretzels, or sports nutrition products including protein powders.

2). Don’t drink any calories. Walter, seltzer, unsweetened tead, coffee. Maybe a dab of milk or cream in the coffee.

3). Limit fruit and nuts, especially nuts as they are calorie dense. Only whole fruit in its natural state, not dried, sweetened, and only 1-2 pieces per day.

4). Strength train with barbell compound movements 2-3 days per week

5). Low intensity endurance like walking as frequently as you can.

Ride this train until it stops, then adjust.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure you eat them, in very limited quantities.  It's just the latest high protein, low carb fad.
View Quote
I am not a keto pusher (though I think it is definitely a good option for many people), but I would NOT call it High protein.  More like high fat.

I figure if that set of macros and "rules" is what gets a person to "eat well"--then by all means do it!  (compliancy is more important than the actual macros, I would wager)
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong.

I use keto occasionally, and understand it's a useful tool in the toolbox for people with certain goals (like losing 100 pounds).

When on keto, I eat 1-2 cups of broccoli a day, sometimes substitute spinach. With dinner I eat more broccoli and/or a large salad. You do not have to eat vegetables in limited quantities, and in fact you SHOULDN'T. Not only are vegetable good for you, but on keto you only have to worry about NET carbs...which means total carbs - fiber.
Guess what is loaded with fiber?
That's right, vegetables.

You do NOT eat vegetables in limited quantities. Further, keto is not high protein, as high protein will actually knock you OUT of keto. Keto is high fat, moderate protein.

Please don't spread misinformation about things you clearly don't understand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All kinds of approaches can work. Extremes like carnivore or raw vegan may work for some, but I would consider them tools to be applied when necessary.

To keep things simple:

1). Eliminate processed foods from your diet completely.  Eat meat, fish, and vegetables seasoned with herbs and spices, not sugary honey nistard, teryaki, and bbq sauces. No bread, crackers, pretzels, or sports nutrition products including protein powders.

2). Don’t drink any calories. Walter, seltzer, unsweetened tead, coffee. Maybe a dab of milk or cream in the coffee.

3). Limit fruit and nuts, especially nuts as they are calorie dense. Only whole fruit in its natural state, not dried, sweetened, and only 1-2 pieces per day.

4). Strength train with barbell compound movements 2-3 days per week

5). Low intensity endurance like walking as frequently as you can.

Ride this train until it stops, then adjust.
View Quote
OP- whether or not you do keto (it's an option you MAY want to explore) this right here is a well rounded and smart approach. Do this, or something very much like it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Please forgive my phone keyboard induced misspellings. I was not drinking that early in the day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Just make better choices in what you eat. Learning a little about nutrients and reading labels, eating actual serving sizes (buy a food scale and measure/weigh everything for a while and you'll realize how much you've been over-eating your entire life), and recording your food intake (MyFitnessPal is easy) will make you naturally start to make better choices if you care even a little bit about your health and appearance. I've made an admittedly kinda half-assed attempt at dieting for a year and lost 63 pounds. I probably could've lost 100 had I really been dedicated all those weeks I chose comfort food over my goals.

Track your calories, don't go over your limit, make better choices on individual foods and meals. It's not as hard as some make it out to be.

I did this for two weeks with no diet changes and I was SHOCKED at how bad I was actually eating (far worse than I'd figured, to the tune of 1-3k calories a day worse).

I didn't "cut" anything out of my diet, either. Last weekend I had a whole Publix sub and a piece of chocolate cake at my girlfriend's house for lunch after I mowed her lawn. Fuck, I had soda AND fast food twice since then... but I had to eat less elsewhere to make it fit in my calorie allowance. There comes a point where the cheeseburgers, sodas, and fries are just not worth the caloric impact to what you're "allowed" to have every day, to continue eating them.

52 weeks, 63 pounds down, 72 more to go.

Caloric deficits work, period. They don't have to be the equivalent level of fun as a botched suicide attempt to work, either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Intermittent Fasting
Portion control
Lower carbs

Know: It's okay to be hungry sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Portion control is hard. Counting calories and food logging is hard. That means compliance is often poor. Not saying it can't be done, but if it was easy, people wouldn't be over fat in the first place.

Modern, industrially processed foods are literally scientifically designed to make us want to eat more of them. Flavor and texture combinations designed and tested for maximum palatability, nutrition either be damned or piled in on the back end with synthetic vitamins.

That is why many will recommend beginning with minimizing processed food or the processing of the food you eat.  What does that mean?  Start with raw and do as little as you can to 1) make the food safe and 2) enable you to eat it.  Have a salad - need dressing?  Extra virgin oils are less processed than commercial salad dressings.  A steak is less processed than a slim jim.  An orange > orange juice > orange gel candy that uses juice.   Raw nuts in shell > roasted nuts > roasted and salted shelled nuts.  Not saying cooking things is bad -cooking destroys some nutrients, but makes others more available.

Less processing generally means more nutrients and co-factors, higher satiety, and fewer calories.  It's also probably more sustainable, affordable, and nutritious than some of the more extreme eating schemes out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Cut carbs
Stop all starch
Stop soda’s

The weight will fall of fast.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
If you can lose weight by just reducing calories then do that.

But the reality is that you are likely insulin resistant and have metabolic syndrome ( and will eventually get type II diabetes and heart disease).  If you cut calories for a short period, a few days to 2 weeks, but then find that you just don't have the will power to keep a cut calorie diet, then you are almost for sure have metabolic syndrome and the excess insulin in your blood from being insulin resistant from eating a lot of sugary foods for decades, is causing you to crave carbs because you have an imbalance between the excess insulin in your blood and the lack of sugar because you are no longer snacking and eating all the time. Giving in to that excess insulin imbalance is what made you eat excess calories and get fat to begin with. You likely will not be able to overcome that with willpower because your hormone insulin is out of wack and will not let you.

That is where a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet triumphs. Too much protein causes an insulin response so be careful of that. The reason why keto works is because you essential stop your body's insulin response and allow your body to naturally burn fat for energy and your insulin level in your blood comes back down to normal and those cravings to eat and eat carbs, goes away and your will power to cut calories triumphs because you no longer have a hormonal imbalance ( excess insulin due to insulin resistance and other hormones out of wack due to the hormone insulin being out of wack) , your body burns fat from your person when you cut calories and you lose weight naturally as nature intended without starving your body of energy because you make up the energy from the calorie cut by using fat on your body for energy.

Good luck.

Go keto and don't look back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]
another proponent for Keto.  I started on 16 Jul [6'2" and 242 lbs] and I'm down 30 pounds already.  The toughest part was giving up beer and sweets.  I don't miss the sweets anymore - but wouldn't mind a beer with my steaks at times.

Figuring out how to eat smaller portions was the toughest part - after a couple of weeks I stopped being hungry all the time and the smaller portions filled me up.  The biggest key for me was making sure the food I eat - was really good.  I bought the tailgater Traeger to smoke some fatter cuts of meat and help make the fat better tasting.  A lot less fuss than the charcoal smokers for making dinners throughout the week.  A scale goes a long way when learning portion control.

Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Portion control is hard. Counting calories and food logging is hard. That means compliance is often poor. Not saying it can't be done, but if it was easy, people wouldn't be over fat in the first place.

Modern, industrially processed foods are literally scientifically designed to make us want to eat more of them. Flavor and texture combinations designed and tested for maximum palatability, nutrition either be damned or piled in on the back end with synthetic vitamins.

That is why many will recommend beginning with minimizing processed food or the processing of the food you eat.  What does that mean?  Start with raw and do as little as you can to 1) make the food safe and 2) enable you to eat it.  Have a salad - need dressing?  Extra virgin ouls are less processed than commercial salad dressings.  A steak is less processed than a slim jim.  An orange > orange juice > orange gel candy that uses juice.   Raw nuts in shell > roasted nuts > roasted and salted shelled nuts.  Not saying cooking things is bad -cooking destroys some nutrients, but makes others more available.

Less processing generally means more nutrients and co-factors, higher satiety, and fewer calories.  It's also probably more sustainable, affordable, and nutritious than some of the more extreme eating schemes out there.
View Quote
I've had something similar explained as "single ingredient only" diet as a good beginning compliance diet.  You can eat anything you want, as long as its only one ingredient (or in the case of a salad for example, everything you put in the salad is just one simple ingredient each)--if that helps the OP any.  There likely still needs to be some look at calories and logging sometime after this, but it might be a good way to "get started" for someone who needs a little introduction into portioning and food selection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've had something similar explained as "single ingredient only" diet as a good beginning compliance diet.  You can eat anything you want, as long as its only one ingredient (or in the case of a salad for example, everything you put in the salad is just one simple ingredient each)--if that helps the OP any.  There likely still needs to be some look at calories and logging sometime after this, but it might be a good way to "get started" for someone who needs a little introduction into portioning and food selection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why many will recommend beginning with minimizing processed food or the processing of the food you eat.  What does that mean?  Start with raw and do as little as you can to 1) make the food safe and 2) enable you to eat it.  Have a salad - need dressing?  Extra virgin ouls are less processed than commercial salad dressings.  A steak is less processed than a slim jim.  An orange > orange juice > orange gel candy that uses juice.   Raw nuts in shell > roasted nuts > roasted and salted shelled nuts.  Not saying cooking things is bad -cooking destroys some nutrients, but makes others more available.

FWIW, this also mostly describes Paleo...but I'm sure that's just a fad too
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]
One of my friends is probably 175 lbs overweight.
~425 lbs, ideal weight is probably 250 or less.

He's really discouraged, sometimes depressed. Started going to the gym, constantly being insulted by people calling him fat or acting like he doesn't have the right to cardio machines because he's not great at them.

He wants to try portion control, reduced calories. Some of his friends don't believe in cutting carbs.  I know you can lose weight without cutting carbs, I'm just not sure it's ideal for him.

I think a great first step would be for him to get a scale that can weigh him. And then start setting small goals with a couple long term goals.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, keto's not high protein.

I guess that big bowl of spinach covered in olive oil and bacon grease last night wasn't keto.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I know to many weight watchers seems lame but they have an online version that allows you to download an app and track your food intake, even has a barcode scanner.  Think of it as a calorie counter for dummies, it is easier to say I have 30 points for a day and eat x number of points instead of counting the calories; at least for me it has been.  In 1 month I am down 10 lbs with no increased exercise and I am not starving and eat very balanced meals now.  Fruits and veggies are zero points and so are eggs; so I eat two eggs a day whether for breakfast or hard boiled as a snack in the day and two to three servings of greens and fruit.  Also helps with portion control, so you can have a piece of cake but maybe just half.

It's pretty easy to follow and for 3 months it was $20 or so, hard to beat that.

Good luck with the journey I am looking to shed 30 lbs, 100lbs is quite a feat but lots of people have done it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not sure a diet that's been in use for nearly 100 years could be considered a "fad" either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not sure a diet that's been in use for nearly 100 years could be considered a "fad" either.
View Quote
Well, when you don't understand the basic tenets of said diet but think you do, it's pretty easy to mischaracterize it as a fad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Like pretty much everyone else said, buy a food scale and weigh all your of your food, everything you eat, and track every calorie. Keep your daily total like 1500.

You'll lose weight as long as you don't cheat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Like pretty much everyone else said, buy a food scale and weigh all your of your food, everything you eat, and track every calorie. Keep your daily total like 1500.

You'll lose weight as long as you don't cheat.
View Quote
I think this is about 1500 calories.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FWIW, this also mostly describes Paleo...but I'm sure that's just a fad too
View Quote
Why do u hate Kraft, Nestle, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Small update.  Keto flu is a mother fucker.  Also. Where did my farts go?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Small update.  Keto flu is a mother fucker.  Also. Where did my farts go?
View Quote
Try some Propel and or some broth/bullion.  The only time I get any odd feeling is when electrolytes are off and need adaptation.
Started back into Ketosis on Sunday, down 7 pounds already.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I lost about 100lbs in 3.5 months doing a combination of Carnivore + Fasting. Similar starting place to yourself. I don't count calories, I don't weigh out portions, I don't track what I eat.

First two months of that was zero working out. After that, it was HIIT Cardio every single day(something that came much easier with mental benefits of changing up the diet). The number of benefits that I've experienced that weren't just weight loss is amazing. Primary amount of lbs lost were in first two months. Not changing anything in diet, my weight loss stalled quite a bit in month 3 when I started working out, which makes sense. Body composition continued to change though(4 of the 11 inches off the belt were lost at a time where the scale stayed within a +/- 1lb for 30 days). I don't even weigh myself anymore.

I cold turkey'd the SAD, and went straight into Carnivore Diet and One Meal a Day. There is a transition period, first week was rocky, after that it was easy. I started getting into longer fasts naturally, as what I thought "Hunger" was changed. Tons of 48 & 72 hours, and a couple of extended 2 week fasts(longest being 14 days). I've gone months without a single carb(and never felt better).

Doing carnivore, you'll want to stick to steak primarily, cut down the seasonings except for salts and pepper, and no oils that are not animal products(stick to tallow). Try cutting out dairy as well, then add back in to see response. If you're eating game meats, add in some extra fat. Where it really shines is that it is an extreme elimination diet that will allow you to establish a baseline, plus the added benefits of removing all processed shit from your diet.

Try and learn more about Insulin Resistance, it will really help guide your mentality on what you should be doing. "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung is absolutely worth the money.

Quoted:

View Quote
You do not need Fiber on Carnivore, and a lot of people actually experience a huge improvement in digestion on it(especially vegans moving over). There will be a bit of an initial adaptation which is normal when moving to high fat, but after that it's great.

Quoted:

View Quote
Can you name me all the essential carbohydrates?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#45]
STOP EATING SUGAR! It really is that simple... No sodas, cookies, sugar cereals, etc., etc.,.... Take it easy on the breads as well.

Bottom line, stick to "real food" Doritos are NOT real food - Eggs are real food.

ETA: Did I mention.... STOP EATING SUGAR, eat real food and eat 'till your full, it's that simple. You will drop a shit ton on weight in 6 months - a shit ton! Don't overthink it - just cut sugar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Ok. I realize that I named the title “help me lose 100lbs” and as such everyone is giving two cents without reading... cuz that would make sense.

Update time.
I have lost 5lbs since I wrote the OP and started tracking my meals with the my fitness pal app.
I’m averaging 2k calories a day and less than 15carbs total.
One day I got into some trouble with sodium (5,000mg in a day) as I had turkey bacon, Italian sausage, and snack sticks. Had a bunch of hiccups and actually gained weight (retained water)  The next day I stuck to cuts of meat and limited the prepped meats (bacon, sausage, snack sticks, etc)
I am doing great and feel amazing.  Energy is up and my stomach issues (gall bladder acting up for a year) are gone. I have been to the gym a few times since and love it. When time allows I will go to the gym.
Def sticking to the carnivore diet until I reach my goal (250lbs).
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
STOP EATING SUGAR! It really is that simple... No sodas, cookies, sugar cereals, etc., etc.,.... Take it easy on the breads as well.

Bottom line, stick to "real food" Doritos are NOT real food - Eggs are real food.

ETA: Did I mention.... STOP EATING SUGAR, eat real food and eat 'till your full, it's that simple. You will drop a shit ton on weight in 6 months - a shit ton! Don't overthink it - just cut sugar.
View Quote
You can still lose weight without giving up a whole macro.

It doesn't teach anything. Learning portion control and how many calories are in a certain quantity of food goes a long way towards long term success, especially when you can have some ice cream on Sunday, or some honey in your coffee.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Cutting out all sodas/sweet drinks including artificially sweetened ones to start, if you don't have crap like chips in the house you can't eat them.
I do allow myself an occasional candy bar, they are kept in the garage freezer so it takes a conscious effort to retrieve one.
I just read an article today that reinforces something that I have always done, keep your eating limited to a ten hour window.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This!

Portion control and training your body to eat less is the key.

It sounds weird, but you need to learn to be hungry. Let your body learn to accept smaller amounts of food. If you can learn and practice moderation you can eat whatever you want and still gain/lose/maintain weight as you desire.
View Quote
That's a lot easier when you feel full and your blood glucose and insulin levels aren't making wild swings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top