Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 7:53:35 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these?  I recently picked up an E-PL6 (older version but in perfect condition) and it's much more complicated than I expected.  I really want to maximize it's capability for close up shots/video.  

Any guidance and tips would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have that camera but do shoot with a OMD-EM1. Olympus cameras have some deep, complicated menus that can be very confusing. It has been said that Olympus cameras are small computers with a lens attached.
My suggestion would be to search on YouTube and watch as much as you can and also play around with it. Only way you will learn it is to use it.
Search Robin Wong & Peter Forsgard channels, they are both Olympus Visionaries with very good content.
Best of luck
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PEN-F.

Close up is going to be more dependent on lens choice more than anything else. The 45mm F1.8 is considered to be a fantastic portrait lens. As the poster above mentioned check out Robin Wong. He can do some pretty impressive stuff with the M 4/3rds system.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn the basic functions of the camera.

Olympus' menu structure seems weird at first, but once you get familiar with it, it's pretty easy. I'm not sure about the E-PL series, but the OM-D series has a neat quick menu you can pull up on the screen with the menu and either tap on a setting or arrow to it and select it to edit.

I'm used to it, but I've been using an OM-D E-M5 (MkI, II and now III), so I'm a bit used to the menus.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got around to messing with it a bit.  Video mode seems pretty straightforward.  Clarity is amazing.  I checked out a few videos from Robin Wong, unfortunately he doesn't use the Penlite series too much.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally got around to messing with it a bit.  Video mode seems pretty straightforward.  Clarity is amazing.  I checked out a few videos from Robin Wong, unfortunately he doesn't use the Penlite series too much.
View Quote

The older E-M5 MkII used the same sensor, IIRC, and only shot video in 1080p... but it looked pretty good. Autofocus was occasionally really wonky, tho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top