Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 9:21:30 AM EDT
Does anyone have any good resources to programming and exercise guides for beginners?

I might be able to move my rack out to the barn by the end of the summer, and I'll have enough room overhead to actually try it out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The usual response is Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
The usual response is Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5.
View Quote

How much O lifting in either SS or SL?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

That doesn't help me even a little.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
To learn the movements:

Old Pendlay
1 of 3 - follow the youtube for the C&J
Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting

Juggernaught - Max Aita
Beginners Guide to Snatching with Meg Squats | JTSstrength.com

Greg Everett - Catalyst
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOe24b2O8eoeHz9fwWuKRVA

Just go down the rabbit hole watching training and competition videos, some great stuff out there.  Check out the old Iron Mind vids, lots of 80's and 90's lifters.

Programming is a little tougher, here's a couple "starter" programs.  A lot of places are doing online programming and coaching, which I'd look into if you're serious, you really need good coaching.

Pendlay Beginner
https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/comments/8lkz6o/glenn_pendlay_3day_beginner_routine/

Catalyst - lots of good free stuff, but even more paid
https://www.catalystathletics.com/article/131/Starter-Program-for-Catalyst-Athletics-Online-Workouts/

Big coaching/gym names in American weightlifting, Bob Takano, Cal Strength Dave Spitz, Juggernaut Max Aita, John Waxman, John Broz, Dan John, Glenn Pendlay, Danny Camargo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
To learn the movements:

Old Pendlay 
1 of 3 - follow the youtube for the C&J
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk

Juggernaught - Max Aita
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2t9xkKzATU

Greg Everett - Catalyst
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOe24b2O8eoeHz9fwWuKRVA

Just go down the rabbit hole watching training and competition videos, some great stuff out there.  Check out the old Iron Mind vids, lots of 80's and 90's lifters.

Programming is a little tougher, here's a couple "starter" programs.  A lot of places are doing online programming and coaching, which I'd look into if you're serious, you really need good coaching. 

Pendlay Beginner
https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/comments/8lkz6o/glenn_pendlay_3day_beginner_routine/

Catalyst - lots of good free stuff, but even more paid 
https://www.catalystathletics.com/article/131/Starter-Program-for-Catalyst-Athletics-Online-Workouts/

Big coaching/gym names in American weightlifting, Bob Takano, Cal Strength Dave Spitz, Juggernaut Max Aita, John Waxman, John Broz, Dan John, Glenn Pendlay, Danny Camargo.
View Quote

I watched the Meg Squats videos with Max last week.

I think I need to work on shoulder mobility though, I have always had trouble getting through the window with overhead presses, I was messing around with snatch grip behind the neck presses with a steel pipe and could get it back there but it was tight.

It's mostly curiosity for me at the moment, I can't do overhead work in my basement very well, so I've never gotten a chance to try it. I have to press between floor joists, and even then sometimes I clip one. If I can get my barn floor poured I'll have a pace to move my rack and plenty of room to both lift overhead and drop the bar.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, what they said.

If you have a university program nearby, maybe contact them and see if they might help you out.  At least be able to send them vids, and offer a little critique.

When I first tried overhead squats my shoulders were so tight it was about 3 months before I could even start to put weight on it and maintain balance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Greg Everett's stuff. I used a lot of it when it was free, and I lifted up there a few times.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I watched the Meg Squats videos with Max last week.

I think I need to work on shoulder mobility though, I have always had trouble getting through the window with overhead presses, I was messing around with snatch grip behind the neck presses with a steel pipe and could get it back there but it was tight.

It's mostly curiosity for me at the moment, I can't do overhead work in my basement very well, so I've never gotten a chance to try it. I have to press between floor joists, and even then sometimes I clip one. If I can get my barn floor poured I'll have a pace to move my rack and plenty of room to both lift overhead and drop the bar.
View Quote

A good warm up with the pipe could be:
    Muscle Snatch
    Snatch grip BTN press (Klokov press)
    Overhead squat

This will open up your shoulders/chest, condition the wrists, and get you used to a bar overhead when squatting, add in a snatch balance and/or sots press too.

Shoulder dislocates are good, start wide and narrow the grip as you loosen up.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I will also add that despite all the shit talking, you can actually sometimes find some crossfit coaches that are pretty decent at teaching the lifts- especially at the beginner level. Once you get intermediate, there's very few...but to learn the basics you may want to try to check that out and do a few drop ins for weightlifting classes because you DO need some face to face instruction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Might want some jerk blocks for that stuff. They are expensive, though. You could build your own.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
Might want some jerk blocks for that stuff. They are expensive, though. You could build your own.
View Quote

They're great, but I've been weightlifting for years without them...a beginner definitely doesn't need them until he decides he wants to pursue it more seriously.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

They're great, but I've been weightlifting for years without them...a beginner definitely doesn't need them until he decides he wants to pursue it more seriously.
View Quote

Exactly.

They're more for addressing specific weaknesses or overloading parts of the movement.  You can always stack your bumpers and lift off them.

Gotta post some off block lifts if we talking about it.

Ilya Ilyin 205 kg snatch off blocks
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Look up the Prilepin chart.

For Olympic lifting, do no more than 5 reps and stay above 70% of 1RM.

More information, pm me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Look up the Prilepin chart.

For Olympic lifting, do no more than 5 reps and stay above 70% of 1RM. 

More information, pm me.
View Quote

What fascinates me is how deep and long most state sanctioned training programs go throughout the years (and have developed).  Both the Russians and Chinese having vetting programs starting from very young ages in order to guide young athletes into fields which they respond to.  

I believe there's a huge gap in American vs. other countries in weightlifting training.  While other countries vet 6 year olds and begin training in the weightlifting movements, Americans don't experience it until their Crossfit 20's, putting their bodies at a substantial disadvantage.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#16]

What fascinates me is how deep and long most state sanctioned training programs go throughout the years (and have developed).  Both the Russians and Chinese having vetting programs starting from very young ages in order to guide young athletes into fields which they respond to.  

I believe there's a huge gap in American vs. other countries in weightlifting training.  While other countries vet 6 year olds and begin training in the weightlifting movements, Americans don't experience it until their Crossfit 20's, putting their bodies at a substantial disadvantage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Look up the Prilepin chart.

For Olympic lifting, do no more than 5 reps and stay above 70% of 1RM. 

More information, pm me.

What fascinates me is how deep and long most state sanctioned training programs go throughout the years (and have developed).  Both the Russians and Chinese having vetting programs starting from very young ages in order to guide young athletes into fields which they respond to.  

I believe there's a huge gap in American vs. other countries in weightlifting training.  While other countries vet 6 year olds and begin training in the weightlifting movements, Americans don't experience it until their Crossfit 20's, putting their bodies at a substantial disadvantage.

Probably for the same reason we don't have any big Cricket or Rugby teams, it's just not as popular here compared other sports, so we don't prioritize it. Kids are put into soccer, baseball, football and gymnastics.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#17]

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

lol

what's really funny is that Olympic Lifting was the title, not in the post, so it's not like he missed it in the post.  Literally had to  see it to open the thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top