Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2018 5:20:21 PM EDT
I have plenty.
I thought a thread for posting stuff like this would be interesting and helpful.

Not sure what it is, or wth it is used for post here.

Me first.  Scubapro MKVI, pneumatic yoke c1969.  A mkv with pneumatic mechanism.  I picked this up locally for $15 as seen.  Mint condition.  I upgraded the 2nd and overhauled the 1st.
This design has it's setbacks though.....first stage can be knocked off tank valve at very low pressures.  Also, it is a finger crusher, ask me how I know.  One and done occurrence.

Installation Video
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want a couple of those center fed spgs
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nah, the needle will just be pegged for a bit

Another find, $25.  I was after the Sherwood 1st really, so got some gravey.
I know most will scoff or laugh at this stuff as junk, but hey.
Sherwood 1st's are my go-to regulator.  Already have enough to overhaul everything except maybe the Beuchat.
The Apeks Sentinel might be my new pony reg, even has a button gauge (what the seller used it for). Zeagle offered this model as well.
I also dig older brass 2nds as safe 2nds for the abuse they can take.
The Prosubs, we'll see.  My go to 2nd stage is the Prosub Command Air (g250ish). These, orange ones, are an earlier model.
Dacor Olympic will sit as well as the Enduro.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Sherwoods as a primary only and am very familiar with their patented dry bleed system.  Not opposed to using them on a bailout charged though.  I use a mkll or an Aquarius (old model) on a bailout.
I will not divulge how many Sherwoods I have, have serviced, or mongrelized.  If I did I will have to admit to a problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You need some jetstreams?

I have a pile.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You need some jetstreams?

I have a pile.
View Quote
Lol
I bought three sets last month...sold one off to fund my problem
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Beuchat Vx 10 Iceberg's were my primary and 2nd back in the day.  I had zero issues with them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a big fan of Beuchat.  Too bad they pulled out of US market
I had a VX Evolution that is still the best breathing reg I have tried to date.
Body got cracked when someone crashed into the bench on a charter in heavier seas.
Beuchat made the first gen or so regs for Apeks.  They eventually split and made there own.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a good day today until I see wtf is going on....

Took mkvi out with a backpack I picked up not long ago.
No bc, just backpackin' with a 3mm and 4lbs of lead and lp72.
Nice breather - didn't expect less.

Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]

New to me.  Torpedo 2500.
Turns out the guy selling was original crew with Mel Fisher.  They used these to blast the bottom.
When I first saw it, I thought no problem cleaning up the hand paint job, but after the stories, it'll stay as is.  
Battery is toast, but it runs.
$75

Got the Beuchat mentioned earlier running.

ETA: Spain called and wants the dpv
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Overhauled and updated the Aquarius.  Had a yellow body with cracks, so used some parts from it.   A la conshelf extreme now

From this..

To

Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
More sharing and caring
Had a wonderful Thanksgiving with fam down in KL.  I hope yours was special too.

A Seapro bcd I found a while back.  Really the first of it's kind as far as the wing concept and weight integration.  Haven't found much about this model, as it is smaller that the At Pac.
I suspect the wing has about 25lbs of lift.  Still functional too.  Will need to acquire a red speedo or something to blend in.

Plenty of attachment points for stuff, mostly velcro.

lead was marble shape and size and stashed inside the back pack itself.  I have read that if neglected and left inside, the lead would would stick together and not dump.  To dump lead, simply pull the pin at the base plate, the weight of the lead would blow out the plate and fall out.  Need to be vertical of course.

Most intriguing, and kinda unnerving is the auto-inflate feature.  If a diver stopped breathing, overpressure would develop in the dual piston first stage and would flow to the bcd inflator which has an overpressure feature as well and inflate the bcd and bring the incapacitated diver to the surface.
The inflator mech on the bcd weighs about 1.5 lbs.

I don't have the regulator.  Do see them time to time and am tempted.

The more commonly seen At Pac with fairings.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Those 1085's are great second stages. Service is a snap and you can beat off a curious shark with one if you need to. Had to donate one in anger to a friend who was having an issue in Cozumel, she didn't notice any difference between it and a modern second stage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, for sure.

You can improve its performance with minor modifications:  refine the lp cone and tweaking the the demand lever for optimal performance.  I have been enjoying using the one photo'ed above as my primary for a summer of diving (a lot around here).

Safe second in for a service.  I cut the t's to make them more compact

Ongoing project.  Will strip the chrome and refinish with experimental stuff.  Will post if successful.  

I am close to finalizing a deal on some holy grail tanks (triples).  Hope to pu this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up another 1085, this time a Kirby Morgan
It was mated to a Conshelf xll
Just serviced it.  Interesting that it has the improvements I noted earlier done to it.
Also, it has a semi clear diaphragm.  Very supple compared to the beige ones I find.
I believe their Superflow is a 1085 with added adjustent assembly.  They did modifications in house

Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Been neglecting the lil twins so got them wet today.
With MkVl mentioned earlier.

Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Shit- ALL my gear is old and odd.

Sherwood and Beauchat are my go to regs, with 1 Dacor being the newest at 12 years old.

If this thread is still alive when I get outta the hospital, I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can you even still get parts for a honker?
View Quote
Honker is the MKVII
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shit- ALL my gear is old and odd.

Sherwood and Beauchat are my go to regs, with 1 Dacor being the newest at 12 years old.

If this thread is still alive when I get outta the hospital, I'll post pics.
View Quote
Get well!
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
In process of moving and still have time for deals
Picked up a Faber LP75.8 (76).
Will need hydro, but not worried.  2700-2800 will put it at 85ish, @3k 93
Brown tank next to hp117. 6.75" × 26". -5 full, about -1 empty, which is close to the old lp72s.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#28]
My gauge is a pan of water

Missed out on a deal recently for the real deal.

I charge mine (slowly) a few times and let sit for 15 or 20.

More odd stuff hoarded
Picked up an Aquascooter.  Found 1 or 2 in the past but too much or beaters
This one is in great shape.
Should haul me to 3rd reef in short order.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Set looks to be in great condition.
Good find.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Squeezed in a dive today off Hibiscus before the Pirates of the Caribbean storm blew in.

Old Dive Rite ABS plate.
PST 100 with Sherwood 6300 slant back
Sherwood SRB3600 first.
IDI Seaira 2nd

I like the 6300, however parts are scarce.  I snapped the stem overhauling it after I bought the neglected tank ($80).  LDS had a used one in good shape and saved the day.

Tarpon and an abundance of usual tropicals seen.   Even got inked by a Reef Squid.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
LP76 ready to dive today.
This is officially my LAST lp tank.  Way easier to go large capacity HP (including rare short fills - had 3 shorted last weekend)
Managed to get local hydro shop to test for "+".  The REE is not stamped on the tank, but I acquired it through Blue Steel Corp.

Never say never though, unless I found another one

I got the Aquascooter running, but am having an issue with it stalling after a minute in the water.

Happy Independence Day!
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I still use a US Navy Conshelf 21, my dive team guys disassembled it, ultra sound cleaned the parts and added new hoses. Found it on eBay years ago for $60.

I use it for all my local non nitrox diving, I will post some pics later. My son is starting his open water class and used the above rig in some pre classes I gave him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Can't go wrong with the Conshelf series.  As far as nitrox goes, I believe the only part that changes [besides type of oring] is the backup ring on the sinter filter.  I haven't used service kits in while as I make up my own.

Early model, Conshelf Xii I used on a double hose project.  All early regulators used 3/8" HP ports.  That is a 3/8" male to 7/16" female adapter to run modern HP hoses.

Link Posted: 7/21/2019 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#39]
My one and only dive computer. Actually never used it, won in a raffle long ago. Strictly mechanical, gas bag and metering valve?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice, the "bend-o-matic".
In good shape

Eta:  I have a pdf manual if you or anyone else is interested.
Quite revolutionary for 1966 technology
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eta:  I have a pdf manual if you or anyone else is interested.
Quite revolutionary for 1966 technology
View Quote
Been meaning to find a way to share pdf's, here is a go at it..

Bend O Matic

Looking more in to it, they first appeared in '59
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a SEAC Icaro bc for $60 a few months ago, did a basic check on it and set aside.
Turns out it needed 2 opv srings and an inflator service.  I pu the springs from McMaster and all seems good.
Took it out today and it works well.  The gusset bungee lost its strength and taco'ed pretty bad.  Stopped of at Hobby Lobby post dive and bought some more.
A lot more lift than I need (50lbs). I like the lightweight aluminum plate.
Could do without the billboards on the wing, but for the price...

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Used again this AM.
Works well. Just need to stitch the cover now.  Surprised I don't need a crotch strap.

Beautiful conditions this morning.  Clear water plus encounters with a Manta Ray, Spotted Maray, Tarpon, ubiquitous nurse shark, and a couple of reef squid.  Countless unnamed tropicals too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Seas have calmed down for a few days. Shore dived one of my favorite spots for coral species today.   Took an old Princeton Tectonics bottom timer.  These are amazingly durable, simple (mechanical) and 'merican.
Boat diving tomorrow and plan another shore dive on Sunday as well.  Will take the timer along.
Today's haul.  Looks like a moon snail got to the Conch.  Should clean up nicely.

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Didn't go yesterday, but went this AM.
About 3' vis near shore, 15' at 2nd reef.  I cut it short (96 min) as I was getting cold (82f) and parking meter was nearing its end.
These are pressure activated and usually turn on and off at around 10'.  
Wind up and go dive.  These came to market around 1975, so not bad considering its age.  The mfg is now known as Princeton Tec.  Definitely not a fan of their lights.
I added the shock cord and SS strap loop.
Night dive Tuesday.

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
All this thread needs is for Jacques Cousteau to do the voice overs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#47]
^haha.  My doublehose thread qualifies.

Got boat dives yesterday on the Lady Go Diver with lake Altantic conditions.  Today I shore dived..bad call.  A lot of surge and poor visibility. I had planned on doing tire removals from the reef with a new to me 100 lb Carter lift bag.  Yes it is overkill, but it gives me options for other items.
I use a small section of SS chain to wrap around the item and simply snap it to the bag.  All works well until I need to vent it.  Where the dump valve is located tends to bend in the middle then its impossible to dump the little amount of air that's in it.   I went negative and inverted the bag.  This was in pretty heavy surge mind you.
It'll work fine when there is more air.  Will add a small piece of narrow pvc pipe with bends at each end to help it stay put and keep the bag's shape.

I repurposed a piece of garbage I found a couple of weeks ago as a sand anchor for my buoy.  I just added a piece of pvc pipe and drilled a hole for a snap.  Works well, screw it in and go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Been meaning to find a way to share pdf's, here is a go at it..

Bend O Matic

Looking more in to it, they first appeared in '59
View Quote
My dive instructor for my basic certification course had one of those. That was in 1969.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#49]
^ ??

Public beaches are closed here, so no shore diving for the peasants
(private beaches excluded).  I got out on the Lady Go Diver yesterday,
good times.  Killed 10 Lionfish. A little bumpy, 40' vis.  A lot of boats
stopped running, some shops closing for the Wuhan.

@heron163 was very generous and gave me an older Poseidon
300 Cyklon.  This is the 2305, unbalanced 1st.
As received, good condition!

Disassembled for service (forgot to take pic of 1st stage)

Complete.  I made my own low pressure seat and used orings that I
have.
I purchased a 1st stage service kit.

This model does not use orings to seal hose connections at the 1st
stage, but has plastic gaskets.  Threads are unique, 1/8 BRT.  I will
be ordering adapters soon to complete the project (set IP add SPG,
LP inflator etc).
Can't wait to dive it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Man, that is fantastic - need a dive report!

I remember doing some overhead work and getting a mouthful of water using a USD conshelf.. that is what moved me to the poseidon line, the jetstream/odin. I still have one - needs service though...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top