Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 4:14:56 PM EDT
Are there any old school hex and chit wargamers here?  I've gone on a kick lately, with a focus on solitare games.  Here's what I've acquired recently:

Tank Duel
Corsair Leader
Tiger Leader
Enemy Action Ardennes

Tank Duel is pretty fun, you are running a tank or two vs other players, or it has an AI system to run the opponents.  It's card driven for actions and moves and things, and you have to figure up your range, accuracy, armor penetration, individual crew member wounds, etc.

Corsair and Tiger Leader games are a bit 'higher up' you're controlling a full squadrons and battalions, doing weeks long campaigns.  More abstract combat, at least in Corsair.  I just started the Poland Invasion in Tiger Leader and it feels a bit more 'real' when moving panzers into cover and taking long shots at other tanks.  Very detailed on the various units and personnel.  We'll see how that actually translates to the board.

EA:A is supposed to be The New Hotness in the card driven, chit pull style.  I haven't set it up yet, but it's the Battle Of the Bulge.  It's technically 3 games in one: Has a board and rule book for 2 players, or solo as Allies or solo as Germans, with an AI system to run the other side.  It's quite intimidating to a wargaming n00b like me!  Especially where you are running brigades and divisions compared to that tank or that rifle squad.  gives a very You Are The General feel.  (There is a TableTop sim mod that I'll probably actually play this on.  Just setting up the dozens and dozens of chits will take me a looooong time on the real table!)

Then, I am already looking at the 'Ace' series of games from Compass.  Might pull the trigger on Interceptor Ace, and am very interested in the still-under-development Western Front Ace, which will be WWI.  In these games you are a single pilot and your plane, going on missions.  Very granular details of those aspects.  If they put out a Corsair Ace, holy shit, I'm in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh god yes
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been playing Lock'N Load and Conflict of Heroes some, but against AI (Steam).  It can be played solo.  Actually pretty much any wargame can be soloed with rules, house rules, or just play both/all sides and be honest with yourself.

Just recently ordered Panzer Blitz/Leader and Tank on Tank which has Solo rules.  Tactical Game X (https://www.relativerange.com/tactical-gamex) has a small bit about solo gaming with Panzer Blitz/Leader.

If you have Tabletop simulator on Steam, you can try a lot these games and see what they are like.  Tank Duel is on there as well as Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Advanced Squad Leader, ATS, other old Avalon Hill, SPI games and shit loads more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought AH's 'Panzer Leader' and 'Squad Leader' (along with 'Cross of Iron' expansion set). Back in the late 70's. I still have Squad Leader/Cross of Iron.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip

If you have Tabletop simulator on Steam, you can try a lot these games and see what they are like.  Tank Duel is on there as well as Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Advanced Squad Leader, ATS, other old Avalon Hill, SPI games and shit loads more.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm a big TTS fan.  I've got Tank Duals and EAA on it, along with some of the other tabletop games I play.  It's been a boon during covid.  Still able to play with my friends, and setup and take down is a breeze!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You might check out Undaunted. Normandy and North Africa are fun.

Normandy is platoon vs platoon while North Africa is asymmetrical since the Italians are more of a traditional army and the Aussies are more of a spec ops team.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a civil war strategy game (turn based) that ran Windows 98, I believe. Anyone remember its name?

Also an extremely buggy but realistic modern submarine game... Red something. It was simulator style.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought AH's 'Panzer Leader' and 'Squad Leader' (along with 'Cross of Iron' expansion set). Back in the late 70's. I still have Squad Leader/Cross of Iron.
View Quote

Ya this .

I have a bunch of Avalon Hill stuff . Thinking of setting up a board in my dining room for solitaire since nobody I know  does this old school stuff .

Recently found my rules to invasion of Crete and bonus Malta  game s . Even the massive Third Reich .
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm getting into Band of Brothers.  Not crazy about the turn structure of Valor & Victory, but it's free.  BoB (screaming eagles, ghost panzer, texas arrows) seems better.

Been spending more of my time making my own chits for Panzer Leader/Blitz then playing it.  I printed them out on colored card stock and stuck them upon adhesive backed foamies from wal mart.  Color coded by country (red=Russia, green=USA, etc)  The original chits from PB/PL are decades old and discolored  They are also harder to pick up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top