Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2019 7:32:48 PM EDT
Hi fellas,

These have been in my wife's family since they were written, I assume. Hopefully they are clear enough. She thought they were old land title documents. I finally read them and thought this would be a good place to share. I saw TBS mention his researching of Masonic history in another thread and was going to contact him. I did not know there was a Mason section until today.
I don't know much about the Mason's. I believe my grandfather was one. I remember him mentioning it and wearing a ring with the symbol and having a ruby on it.
Anyway I hope you guys find these interesting.
If any of you can shed any light on them, that would be great.

TL;DR sharing old documents

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take a look at it tomorrow at the office.  It's too small on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The second letter is from the Master and Wardens of Lodge No. 599 in Aughnacloy, Ireland stating that William Montgomery is a Master Mason, in good standing in their Lodge.  It is attested to by the Lodge Secretary.

The first letter is from the Chapter of Royal Arch and Superexcellent Masons of the same Lodge stating that he is a Royal Arch and Superexcellent Mason of their Chapter.  It also identifies him as a Past Master of Lodge No. 599.

You'll notice that the three Principle Officers and the Secretary of the Chapter are also the three Principle Officers and Secretary of the Lodge.  At that time, Royal Arch Masonry was still part of "Regular" Lodges.

In a nutshell what these are is a document stating that William Montgomery is qualified to be a Royal Arch and Superexcellent Mason; and a document that says he is.

Aughnacloy is in what is now Northern Ireland, just north of the border with the Republic of Ireland.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you PSI!
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That’s a very cool piece of Masonic history you have right there. Take very good care of that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
That's an amazing piece of family history you have there, take good care of it.
I can't help but admire the precision and care taken in producing that letter. Looks like a work of art compared to modern writing. I have great doubts that anybody will have retained nor admire current scribbling 200+ years from now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top