Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2023 8:52:51 AM EDT
Back in the mid 80's I bought a Canon A-1 body and various lenses and filters for it.  

I've been wanting a nice DSLR and was wondering if the old lenses I have (Canon and I think a Vivatar zoom lisd) will work on the digital body?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
There are adapters to put old fd glass on an ef lens mount body. Most won’t have electrical contacts so your lenses will become manual adjustment only.

But camera and lens tech has improved a ton in the past 20- 30 years, so running an old lens will be a handicap to a newer body. Not saying you won’t or can’t get good results though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]
There are adapters to run FD glass on new RF mount cameras. There are plenty of Youtube vids about it.

The FD to EF conversion was tricky because it required an adapter with a corrective lens.

I'm thinking about finally diving into RF which will allow me to use all of my EF and FD glass, which is nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  It gives me something else to look at and ponder if I need to do it or not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it may be time to bite the bullet and get a new setup.

My first DSLR is a Nikon D50, haven't used it in years, but I understand the lenses are compatible with the D7200. With mirror less becoming the norm, prices are coming down and I've been watching ebay.

Nikon does have a trade in program "to keep old gear out of landfills", but only towards their new Z series cameras.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Yeah, it may be time to bite the bullet and get a new setup.

My first DSLR is a Nikon D50, haven't used it in years, but I understand the lenses are compatible with the D7200. With mirror less becoming the norm, prices are coming down and I've been watching ebay.

Nikon does have a trade in program "to keep old gear out of landfills", but only towards their new Z series cameras.
View Quote

Just got an EOS R6 MKII, using the adapter for running older EF lenses.  Works great.

But, yeah, those older lenses will be all manual.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
klutz347: Unless you have a super-tight budget, get the modern lenses, they are "head & shoulders" anything 20-30 years ago. The technology and materials have advanced tremendously. Go to the used market.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just won a auction for d7200 body. So we'll see if the lenses are really compatible or not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Just won a auction for d7200 body. So we'll see if the lenses are really compatible or not.
View Quote
Why bother with adapting the old lenses that can be had for a song, you're defeating the purpose of all of the electronic gee-wiz, or if you are just doing it for laughs & giggles. Get some used kit lenses. Those kit lenses are quite useable depending...
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By warlord:
Why bother with adapting the old lenses that can be had for a song, you're defeating the purpose of all of the electronic gee-wiz, or if you are just doing it for laughs & giggles. Get some used kit lenses. Those kit lenses are quite useable depending...
View Quote

Because as I understand it, this camera body and these lenses are supposed to be 109% compatible, no adapters needed, electronics talk to each other.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of those old manual lenses are fucking magic glass that the new stuff cannot touch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DocBull:
Some of those old manual lenses are fucking magic glass that the new stuff cannot touch.
View Quote

This. I once worked with a Pulitzer winning photojournalist. His street lens was an old 50 1.8 that was so old the anodizing had warn off of it. This was at the time when the F4 was being replaced by the F5. I seem to recall he was shooting an N90 most of the time, which was known to be fast. But his view was that he could focus that lens faster and more accurately than the AF cameras worked with newer lenses. He was no-kidding good at his job…

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

Yup.

I've always said the magic is newer sensor with older glass.

Most of the new glass is too clinical.
View Quote

I'd love to hear some of your suggested older lenses.

I've been messing with quite a few older camera platforms and would like to blend the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The Sony E-mount system basically made any manual mount lens available for use.

While I don't have any specific examples as "favorites," but old Russian lenses provide great IQ. All the old lenses provide some form of interesting flavor to images.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top