Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/16/2018 9:10:41 PM EDT
Looking for info from leos........ is there a legal requirement for rolling windows all the way down during a traffic stop or dui check point???  Yes or no.  I know an officer can request me out of the car at any time..... fine.   But as I drove home today I see yet again officer friendly all up in cars passenger side .  Leads me to ask the question...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Shotar....heres your time to shine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
In!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Who is Shotar?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is Shotar?
View Quote
A local ohio popo...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking for info from leos........ is there a legal requirement for rolling windows all the way down during a traffic stop or dui check point???  Yes or no.  I know an officer can request me out of the car at any time..... fine.   But as I drove home today I see yet again officer friendly all up in cars passenger side .  Leads me to ask the question...
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote
I just watched a court case where that was used as obstruction....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to show ID if you are operating a motor vehicle. I don't  think you have to roll your window down farther than needed to hand over your DL.  You can be ordered out if the LEO has PC that you are intoxicated or have committed another crime.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, not a lawyer but seems that would be self incrimination.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You have to show ID if you are operating a motor vehicle. I don't  think you have to roll your window down farther than needed to hand over your DL.  You can be ordered out if the LEO has PC that you are intoxicated or have committed another crime.
View Quote
That's what I thought too... ...but I'm hearing troopers in court using not rolling windows down as pc......
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
On a traffic stop If you don't roll the window down for me if I ask you to I'll just have you get out of the car and we can do business standing on the side of the road.

We don't do checkpoints here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FIFY
View Quote
Roger that...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Cop Blocker's are pro's at this sort of thing. I would seek their advice and counsel on this matter.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol

let's just say you shouldn't ever give advice.  ever.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't need pc to have an operator  get out of a car. Pennsylvania v Mimms
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#16]
@Miami_JBT
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
It would have to be articulated as obstruction somehow. But no there is no distance it must be rolled down.  But all DWI checkpoints are unconstitutional bullshit, don’t care what the court says.

They are the polar opposite of what’s legally required for EVERY other traffic stop.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On a traffic stop If you don't roll the window down for me if I ask you to I'll just have you get out of the car and we can do business standing on the side of the road.

View Quote
No problem with that....totally in your tool belt.  What I'm not down with is using that as evidence as lack of cooperation or obstruction.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for your input Justice.  I get ya.  You can pull a driver.....damn...I wish I could inbed this video...but a guy who blew zeros is in court based upon the window not being down all the way
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mimms was being issued a summons
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you for your input Justice.  I get ya.  You can pull a driver.....damn...I wish I could inbed this video...but a guy who blew zeros is in court based upon the window not being down all the way
View Quote
post a link to the video
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Did they partially roll down the window or not at all? I've had a few incidents during OVI checkpoints and traffic stops where folks partially rolled down their windows. No big deal - they still provided me with their operator license and they went on their way when I was done with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

post a link to the video
View Quote
Go to youtube...the header is. Man charged with obstruction at dui checkpoint goes before
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did they partially roll down the window or not at all? I've had a few incidents during OVI checkpoints and traffic stops where folks partially rolled down their windows. No big deal - they still provided me with their operator license and they went on their way when I was done with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
I'm seriously impressed.... thank you for what you do...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That would be laughed out of court where I am from. Hell, it wouldn't, and shouldn't, even make it to court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be laughed out of court where I am from. Hell, it wouldn't, and shouldn't, even make it to court.
Good to hear ....seriously
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I have manual crank windows.

I don’t want to get shot for reaching.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wrong. Pennsylvania VS. Mims

You can be ordered out of the vehicle regardless.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do the same. And when the driver refuses that it gets messy.

I should add that check points are more or less illegal here in WI. We don’t do them and the fuckery used to get around the 4th amendment is garbage regarding them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not arguing having to get out....... they can make you.   My question is is there a limit on the window being rolled down.....many Leo's will say all the way
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mimms v Pennsylvania and Maryland v Williams said that the driver and all passengers can be ordered out of the vehicle. It doesn't matter whether or not they're getting citations. If there is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause for the stop/detention then any cites/arrests/evidence collected become "fruits of the poisonous tree" and can get thrown out in court.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not arguing having to get out....... they can make you.   My question is is there a limit on the window being rolled down.....many Leo's will say all the way
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
post a link to the video
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

post a link to the video
Rogue....watch the video.....its a multi part deal but....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It depends. I guess my question is why gamble? Roll the window down, do whatever is mandated, be on your way?

I guess I really don’t understand the game.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I should add that check points are more or less illegal here in WI. We don’t do them and the fuckery used to get around the 4th amendment is garbage regarding them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure why it would be messy...I'd much rather face you for my speeding  ticket than half your torso in my car sniffing for my diving wetsuit....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It depends. I guess my question is why gamble? Roll the window down, do whatever is mandated, be on your way?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old game was ok.....again...as I see the young Leo's hanging all the way in from the passenger side, I'd say that changes things no?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s entirely wrong
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The old game was ok.....again...as I see the young Leo's hanging all the way in from the passenger side, I'd say that changes things no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't watch the video, but if there are LEOs sticking any parts of their bodies into an occupied vehicle they really need to consider changing their tactics.
ETA: I won't even stick my hand into a vehicle to grab a license or paperwork - the driver or passenger is dangling that stuff out the window for me to easily reach.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
OR for the officer's safety
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not sure why it would be messy...I'd much rather face you for my speeding  ticket than half your torso in my car sniffing for my diving wetsuit....
View Quote
It gets messy when the driver won’t roll down the window or step out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I didn't watch the video, but if there are LEOs sticking any parts of their bodies into an occupied vehicle they really need to consider changing their tactics.
ETA: I won't even stick my hand into a vehicle to grab a license or paperwork - the driver or passenger is dangling that stuff out the window for me to easily reach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that seems like a big risk for the officers.  I am not a cop, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be in a compromised position like that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Generally if you blew less than a .08 the magistrate would nol pros it (hope I remembered
the term right) and turned you loose. There were exceptions to that, but it normally worked
that way. If you wanted him to the officer was supposed to give you a ride back to your car.
The reason was the magistrate just declared you not guilty.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It gets messy when the driver won’t roll down the window or step out.
View Quote
 I got ya....I would imagine that would be sporty
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Miami_JBT
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#47]
So my take away even with a few boys in blue here is there isnt a specific distance the window has to travel.  If I can hear you and you can hear me we are good.  No?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#48]
At that point, you are going to be arrested and go to jail.  You are just negotiating points for your defense lawyer to argue you aren’t guilty after several thousand in legal fees, court costs, bonds, and lost time.

You know who thinks that is a good deal?  Guilty people.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
At that point, you are going to be arrested and go to jail.  You are just negotiating points for your defense lawyer to argue you aren’t guilty after several thousand in legal fees, court costs, bonds, and lost time.

You know who thinks that is a good deal?  Guilty people.
View Quote
Arrested for??
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrested for??
View Quote
Driving while intoxicated.  Because contrary to GD’s masturbatory fantasies, sober people don’t go around refusing to roll their window all the way down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top