Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2020 9:42:18 AM EDT
We really need an official Miata thread, because as manly men of arfcom, who arent afraid to drive one of the best sports cars ever made, we realize just how awesome they are and that any detractor probably hasnt driven one.

I just picked up a 93, 146K miles, freshly painted silver, rust free model, and than promptly pulled the engine to do a seal, timing belt, and coolant reroute as i am about to throw a turbo kit onto it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
not an expert, but I have been working at a sports car track for three years.  I am very impressed with Mazdas.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not an expert, but I have been working at a sports car track for three years.  I am very impressed with Mazdas.
View Quote

Its one of those that if you appreciate cars you have to drive one, because then you realize when the question involves sports cars:

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]

@LittlePony

My wife’s first car in the USA was a Miata.  They are a blast to drive! (on road trips - not so much ).
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Id buy one for right price/miles/condition.

Also to the poster above, LP took his ball and went home, not posting on arf any more, made big drama speech in gd a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
My 2006 I picked up one year ago. 112k miles and I'm the third owner.
Super clean and pretty much a base model. A/C, short shifter...

I put on Meister R coilovers ($1000) and lowered about 1.5". Handling is greatly improved. Put on new tires and wheels as I didn't like what the PO had on. It's just a fun car for dates and weekend runs.

I need some better pics but here are a few.

The day I bought it.. on the way home
Attachment Attached File

Took it  out for a jog yesterday... lots of fun in the twistys with no passengers.
Attachment Attached File

I have some before after pics of the suspension install... will post later
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a '99 NB and now I have a '07 NC.
The NC is a touring model. Not bad on an all day trip.

The NB was more fun. I had TA Radials on it that were great in wet conditions .

I think the NC could be as fun as the NB. But I am liking the touring aspect at 60 years old.
My NC has almost 24K on it and it is in showroom condition.

NB for fun. Probably better for most drivers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@LittlePony

My wife’s first car in the USA was a Miata.  They are a blast to drive! (on road trips - not so much ).
View Quote

Its a good wittle car
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
What turbo setup are you going with?

If you have the motor out already, I’d skip resealing the 1.6 and swap in a 1.8. More power and earlier spool for not much money.

My 95 has forged VVT motor, NB1 6-speed, and EFR6258. Right at 300 wheel horsepower.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Coming out thread
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Turbo? I prefer being blown.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My 93' only has about 37K on it and I sold off a Mustang GT when I bought it. Just a heavy pig when compared to the Miata when you hit the back roads.

Can't complain either when you bomb around an entire day on back roads and fill it up with premium for $10.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
The Miata was built as a throwback to the classic roadsters of the 50's and 60's. Simple, open air, fun to drive. Never meant to be a dragster, the focus was on balance and cornering. We had one back in the early 90s - picked it up used and primarily my wife's car at that point. It had one of the sweetest shifters I've ever driven - a flick of the wrist popped it into the next gear as you went through the pattern. I got reassigned to Germany in '94 and we could only take one car so the Miata had to go.

We planned on buying a new Miata when we came back to the US in '97 but then BMW came out with the Z3s and I fell in love with that design - ordered one in  April of '96 and am still driving it today.

The fun of these cars, at least for me, is on the twisty backroads where the balance makes them hug tight corners and the lower horsepower just means you need to work the shift pattern.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I installed the Meister R Coilovers last February. It has been a fun summer. The coilovers did two things for me; much improved handling, and better looks at about 1.5" lowering.
The Meister R coilovers have 32 dampening settings, 1 being firm and 32 soft. I set mine at 20 F and 24 R and have not adjusted since. The ride is very nice, not like the 80's when we would cut springs to lower our shit-boxes...

Cost: $995
They now have a newer set with 6kg/mm vs. the 7kg/mm for a more soft ride.

My settings thread, along with others, is here: Meister R coilover Miata.net

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Had my '00 NB OEM color matching hard top 5 sp for 14 years now. Still has never been in the shop. Just turned 100K miles. Just ordered Konig wheels from Goodwin and new tires from discount this morning for Christmas for myself. It got it's yearly wash, wax and interior detail last week. We usually do a weekly day trip to lunch somewhere within a couple hours, Crystal River, St Aug, Flagler Beach or Cedar Key.  We're both retired and love running around out here in the country in our little air conditioned go-cart.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The front fascia appears to be aftermarket.  Check to make sure it wasn't replaced in a wreck.

Make sure to install a new exhaust and a cold air intake if you're going to boost the engine.  Car's gotta breathe..  You should also consider stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars to turn your NA into a real go kart...

Flying Miatas and Good-Win Racing are good places to shop for aftermarket performance parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The front fascia appears to be aftermarket.  Check to make sure it wasn't replaced in a wreck.

Make sure to install a new exhaust and a cold air intake if you're going to boost the engine.  Car's gotta breathe..  You should also consider stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars to turn your NA into a real go kart...

Flying Miatas and Good-Win Racing are good places to shop for aftermarket performance parts.
View Quote

It was, car is an R title from hitting a deer.
Its getting a 2.5” exhaust from the downpipe back. I installed KYB AGX shocks which seem to have lifted the car a little bit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Submitting a, potato-quality, photo of my ND1 GT.

Most fun, but least practical, car I've owned.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Submitting a, potato-quality, photo of my ND1 GT.

Most fun, but least practical, car I've owned.

https://i.imgur.com/Fgq7iCjh.jpg
View Quote

Its practical at being fun :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Well...I have about 5 of them. One running NB, and the rest drivetrain swap donors.  In the process now of swapping over an NA Miata to an LS3/BMW DCT setup and currently piling up parts for it.

One that IS running is pretty much stock drivetrain NB2/6sp drivetrain setting on all new poly bushings, Good Win Racing 441 Track coils, Flying Miata's Wilwood F/R brakes, Advanti S1 and RE71Rs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Just picked up my second Miata (sold my 04 Mazdaspeed 4 years ago).  Bought an 06 Grand Touring with 67k on the ODO.  Wanted something fun to commute in and keep the miles off of the truck.  I forgot how fun these cars are.  Been finding myself taking short 20 minute detours on the way home on some back road twisties.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well...I have about 5 of them. One running NB, and the rest drivetrain swap donors.  In the process now of swapping over an NA Miata to an LS3/BMW DCT setup and currently piling up parts for it.

One that IS running is pretty much stock drivetrain NB2/6sp drivetrain setting on all new poly bushings, Good Win Racing 441 Track coils, Flying Miata's Wilwood F/R brakes, Advanti S1 and RE71Rs.
View Quote

Mind sending one of those 1.8 rears my way? I dont even need a torsen, trade ya some ammo for it ;)
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mind sending one of those 1.8 rears my way? I dont even need a torsen, trade ya some ammo for it ;)
View Quote

If you want to swing by and grab one, you are more than welcome to it. I have to keep the subframe however.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you want to swing by and grab one, you are more than welcome to it. I have to keep the subframe however.
View Quote

Thats tempting if i find myself in NC again to visit family it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Already needs a bath...hot some back roads that had some mixed gravel here and there, but offered great views. I figure I’ll be parking it in a few days once this snow storm they’re expecting hits...so I took a detour on my way home from work. I want to add an aluminum Copland reservoir to avoid issues in the future and then some new brakes and rotors.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I was planning to drive down to South Carolina to look at one tomorrow. Holding off until after Christmas. I've wanted one for 20 years, figured now is the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was planning to drive down to South Carolina to look at one tomorrow. Holding off until after Christmas. I've wanted one for 20 years, figured now is the time.
View Quote

It will not disappoint. I’ve owned over a dozen vehicles in the past decade alone. Ford Rangers and Mazda Miata’s gold a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Fun...

Rock Auto for shoes and rotors is a pretty good bet. Went with Centric coated and Akebono pads. Pick a set for your driving needs/deeds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Had new Konig helium bronze rims from Good Win mounted to new Dunlop's today at Discount tires. Can't wait to mount them tomorrow. New seat covers next https://ridies.com/Product/26242/1990-2000-Mazda-Miata-MX-5-Leather-Replacement-Seat-Covers.

Thanks Santa.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Snagged a pair of absolutely pristine brand new looking tan NB1 seats today. They we're advertised as OEM but after I returned them home and compared them to my originals they are definitely reskinned, but very nicely done with just a few subtle differences. Gonna cook in a few coats of mink oil and install them after the holidays. Stole them for $250 cash and a 150 mile round trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Snagged a pair of absolutely pristine brand new looking tan NB1 seats today. They we're advertised as OEM but after I returned them home and compared them to my originals they are definitely reskinned, but very nicely done with just a few subtle differences. Gonna cook in a few coats of mink oil and install them after the holidays. Stole them for $250 cash and a 150 mile round trip.
View Quote

The seller is probably thinking he got a great deal too.

It is hard to even give away NB1 seats most of the time. Nobody really wants them, as most people find them to be incredibly uncomfortable. I sold mine for $50, and as "seat covers, but you have to take the seats too".
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The seller is probably thinking he got a great deal too.

It is hard to even give away NB1 seats most of the time. Nobody really wants them, as most people find them to be incredibly uncomfortable. I sold mine for $50, and as "seat covers, but you have to take the seats too".
View Quote

whatthefukever
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Machine shop is hot tanking my oil pan and drilling and tapping for the oil return.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

2001 with 51K

Has a small dent in the door I need to take care of.
Has some sort of low speed idle issue that makes it really hard to drive. New plugs and wires installed, new coil packs and cam pos sensor on the way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/10195/978ECE48-590E-4D78-80E3-2F79096C07A4_jpe-1740603.JPG

2001 with 51K

Has some sort of low speed idle issue that makes it really hard to drive. New plugs and wires installed, new coil packs and cam pos sensor on the way.
View Quote

Make sure the plastic tubing between the MAF and the TB is secure and isn't allowing extra air past the MAF.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/10195/978ECE48-590E-4D78-80E3-2F79096C07A4_jpe-1740603.JPG

2001 with 51K

View Quote

Run some Sea Foam and E free 89 or 91 through it.

Nice Little go cart.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Make sure the plastic tubing between the MAF and the TB is secure and isn't allowing extra air past the MAF.
View Quote

I’ll double check this. When it first starts it idles at 2K rpm then settles down. It does almost seem like an intake leak but I can’t find any leaks. I think I even tried propane around the intake.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
@dino1

clean the TB and MAF... I had a idle issue on my 06 and this was an instant fix.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]
How do these hold up as far as milage. I'm looking at an NC that just past 100k but is otherwise clean. I figure the car should be good for another 60-70k right? Anything problem areas I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How do these hold up as far as milage. I'm looking at an NC that just past 100k but is otherwise clean. I figure the car should be good for another 60-70k right? Anything problem areas I should be looking at?
View Quote

ETA: I'd look for one unmolested by a young driver...

170K mileage should not be an issue. Look for mods or signs of not being taken care of. My 06 had 110K when I bought and it is clean.

Things to do with a 100k Miata NC:
Clean TB and MAF
Put in the correct plugs
Watch the OEM coolant reservoir closely, they develop a small crack at the filler neck and the system is pressurized. Overheats before gauge shows. Blown engine. Many have replaced with aluminum Morso.
Keep oil filled and clean (duh)
The NC's are a  little "tall"... may consider some sort of lowering option, I did coilovers. Love it.
If it shifts a little "tough" from 1st to 2nd, put the unicorn Motorcraft transmission fluid in... works wonders.
Can leak from two spots up by wiper area. Easy fix with silicone.

Fun cars, hope you find a keeper.

miata.net

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a NC and while it was (IMHO) a better car than the earlier Miatas it is the least Miata-like generation.

Overall the NCs are pretty problem free and should be good for >200k. The only issue I can think of is that some of the early years (06-07 I think) had a non-negligible rate of spinning engine bearings.

Besides avoiding the early NCs I think it comes down to picking the facelift styling you like and options. MT and LSD would be requirements for me but everyone has their preferences (there are also some associated differences like later model year MTs having a higher red line).
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#43]
@ORARGB

Do you remove the TB to clean?

If you do would a new gasket be needed?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a 95 with some upgrades, Flyin Miata clutch and lightened flywheel, depowered rack and ac delete, deatschwerks 700cc injectors powered by MSPNP2, mishimoto rad and fans, coolant reroute, other random crap.

I started installing a china journal bearing T25 with bell manifold/DP a few months ago. Got it all torn apart and haven't touched it since. Been seriously lacking in motivation and energy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#45]
F/I or megasquirt people, did you do your own tune or did you take it somewhere? I did a rough tune using the basemap for N/A but I don't trust my skills enough to tune the car with a turbo on it, I feel like I would break something
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@ORARGB

Do you remove the TB to clean?

If you do would a new gasket be needed?
View Quote

@Dino1

yes but it's really only a clamp and four screws. Really easy.
No gasket, rags and cleaner. I used SeaFoam Deep Creep spray. Could use non-chlorinated (green can) brake cleaner too I suppose. Get an old tooth brush and scrub it up. Wipe off with rags sprayed in cleaner.

Do the MAF while your in there. I used real MAF cleaner as I didn't what to mess around.
See this post at miata.net

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=643123
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
F/I or megasquirt people, did you do your own tune or did you take it somewhere? I did a rough tune using the basemap for N/A but I don't trust my skills enough to tune the car with a turbo on it, I feel like I would break something
View Quote

I had a local Miata tuner do my tune. Any tuner familiar with Megasquirt with a good reputation should work, nothing particularly special about the BP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Went to look at one today. I may just pass on buying a Miata. Haven't driven one in over ten years, My head was pressed against the roof. Leaned forward and hit the roof cross bar. I felt so damn high up in the car, I'm only 5'8". No way to adjust the seat down.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My head was pressed against the roof. Leaned forward and hit the roof cross bar. I felt so damn high up in the car, I'm only 5'8". No way to adjust the seat down.
View Quote

Something sounds off. My dad is 6' and can fit in my NB1 with the top up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Went to look at one today. I may just pass on buying a Miata. Haven't driven one in over ten years, My head was pressed against the roof. Leaned forward and hit the roof cross bar. I felt so damn high up in the car, I'm only 5'8". No way to adjust the seat down.
View Quote

I'm almost 6ft [time makes us all shorter] and I have no issues in my NA. Hell, I have to move the seat up to drive though it's easier to slide it all the way back for ingress and egress.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top