Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
3/4" mats it is then. Thanks!

However, reviewing the pics in this thread I noticed many of you have a sheet of plywood or something similar under the power racks.

Lifting platform? What is the advantage and do I need that?

The floor in the shop is concrete. At first I thought I wouldn't put mats under the rack, then thought maybe I would. Is is advisable to have mats under the rack and plywood on top of that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

However, reviewing the pics in this thread I noticed many of you have a sheet of plywood or something similar under the power racks.

The floor in the shop is concrete. At first I thought I wouldn't put mats under the rack, then thought maybe I would. Is is advisable to have mats under the rack and plywood on top of that?
View Quote
Just lay down mats and put the rack on the mats.  You're thinking too much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The mats aren’t really very squishy but I prefer to squat on the concrete. I had one extra I split down the middle and put on either side of my rack just in case I ever dump a bar. That was only because after rolling it up, bear hugging it and carrying it down into the basement I felt like I needed to do something with it. Those things are motherfuckers to carry around.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of the time people make the platforms specifically so they can bolt their racks to them rather than into their concrete. I cut out holes for the feet of my rack in my pads and bolted it straight to my concrete and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just lay down mats and put the rack on the mats.  You're thinking too much.
View Quote
I am. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Laid down the mats last weekend. Still a work in progress but can now cancel my big box membership!

Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah that's looking like a gym.

The stall mats on concrete will work fine, no need for a wood platform.

Like others have said the rack won't move much, especially once you get several hundred pounds on the storage pegs.

My rack sits on a platform because the room is carpeted. I was intending to fasten the rack down but soon realized it was a waste of time.

Is that a magnetic resistance upright exercycle I see in the foreground? I just bought the Marcy version of one last month, so far it seems to be an "inexpensive" piece of gear. If it breaks/malfunctions in less than a year I'll call it "cheap" junk.

I wanted a recumbent bike but only had a 38" x 40" space so...
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Made some upgrades to the ol home gym.
Titan T-2 rack, platform, magnetic glass white board, a Rogue Ohio bar, and a set color echo bumpers.
I'm a very happy man.

@D_J I built a variation of the art of manliness platform.
I just used 3 pieces of 3/4". It is very sturdy! I know a while back you were looking into a platform.

ETA: If anyone is interested in a decal, below is where I got it. I'm very happy with it, and the cost was minimal.

Amazon Product
  • vinyl decal made from oracal 631 matte vinyl- thin material makes it look like it has been painted onto wallsinyl decal made from oracal 631 matte vinyl- thin material makes it look like it has been painted onto wallsinyl wall decal made from oracal 631 matte vinyl- thin material makes it look painted on
  • measures 36"x17"- black
  • goes onto walls, mirrors, boards, flat surfaces,not recommended for walls with flat paint or heavily textured

Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a lot of room but I squeeze it in. Just some of my equipment
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, so I am starting to firm up the garage at the new house, but I have absolutely ZERO wall space available.  Has anyone used a NON connected 2 piece squat stand with safety catches on it?  I figure that I can use that and maybe find a lower profile/collapsible bench to minimize space and make the footprint moveable...I have other overhead connections if I want a pull up bar.

Would want to do squat, OHP, bench on it...

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
A little dungeon upgrade, stripped off the high gloss slippery paint on my second set of change plates. Went with extra-flat "camo paint" for better gripping. Now I can grab 3 plates in one hand without the middle plate slipping out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
New bar for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a wall-foldable rack of some sort (Rolando?)

Moving to the basement-free SouthEast soon and space will be at a premium in the garage (why don't more people spring for 3 car garages when you have no basement!????!)
View Quote
This is what we have.  We got it from Fringe Sport.  They have packages, but will also allow you to customize a package as well.  We dropped some stuff like kettle bells and added more plates to ours.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Rogue rml-390bt rack
Rogue Ohio bar w/ grey cerakote & black sleeves
Vulcan absolute power bar
Vulcan curl bar
Fringe 9 barbell storage rack
Rogue tb-2 trap bar
Rogue echo bumpers
Rep bumper storage
Rep fb5000 flat bench
rep ab-3100 adjustable bench
Concept 2 model d rower
Rogue echo rings
Spud lat pulley
Bowflex 552 dumbbells (technically the wife's)
Rogue landmine handle
Matador
80lb weighted vest
Rep sandbag loaded to 120lbs (I think).

Goodies on the rack:
Multi grip pullup bar
Change plate storage
Couple storage pins
Rogue landmine
Rogue strap safeties
Rogue sml spotter arms
Extra set of rogue sandwich j cups

Random bullshit/all the crap on the wall:
DIY lifting platform
Wall storage courtesy of costco for like 35 for two sets
Stall mats courtesy of tractor supply
Belts, wraps, sleeves
slingshot
abmat
Random bands
OSO collars x2
Ammonia for shits and giggles
Reebok oly shoes
Neck harness
Forearm roller

Planning on getting a BWTG SSB and press bar, monolift attachment, lever attachment, and the spud low pulley sometime this year. Probably gonna get a GHD/GHR and an echo bike if I can find a way to make room. Just made a DIY calf raise block out of a 2x4 and did a chucked some rice in a bucket for hand/forearm work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/A3boCvg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VF3vznz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x2qMPMc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TI5FMbX.jpg

Rogue rml-390bt rack
Rogue Ohio bar w/ grey cerakote & black sleeves
Vulcan absolute power bar
Vulcan curl bar
Fringe 9 barbell storage rack
Rogue tb-2 trap bar
Rogue echo bumpers
Rep bumper storage
Rep fb5000 flat bench
rep ab-3100 adjustable bench
Concept 2 model d rower
Rogue echo rings
Spud lat pulley
Bowflex 552 dumbbells (technically the wife's)
Rogue landmine handle
Matador
80lb weighted vest
Rep sandbag loaded to 120lbs (I think).

Goodies on the rack:
Multi grip pullup bar
Change plate storage
Couple storage pins
Rogue landmine
Rogue strap safeties
Rogue sml spotter arms
Extra set of rogue sandwich j cups

Random bullshit/all the crap on the wall:
DIY lifting platform
Wall storage courtesy of costco for like 35 for two sets
Stall mats courtesy of tractor supply
Belts, wraps, sleeves
slingshot
abmat
Random bands
OSO collars x2
Ammonia for shits and giggles
Reebok oly shoes
Neck harness
Forearm roller

Planning on getting a BWTG SSB and press bar, monolift attachment, lever attachment, and the spud low pulley sometime this year. Probably gonna get a GHD/GHR and an echo bike if I can find a way to make room. Just made a DIY calf raise block out of a 2x4 and did a chucked some rice in a bucket for hand/forearm work.
View Quote
Sweet ??
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got to expanding the mounting bracket between my Titan cable rig and Power Rack. Also got the plate tower welded. Not sure what I'm going to do on top of the plate tower, maybe a chalk bowl or capped with pole to hang bands.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a start. Eventually I'd like to get some rubber flooring, a rower, and a GHD machine. I'll build a box for box jumps in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ll get some pics up eventually, but I wanted to assure anyone on the fence about buying a safety squat bar that they are awesome. Titan just came out with their V2 version for ~$200ish. The quality of the bar is great, especially for the price. As someone with shoulder pain, this has been a lifesaver.

Also, a GHD was another great addition. People have told me that they take up too much real estate and that it would wind up an expensive coat rack. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Huge increases in hamstring and glute strength. I went from not being able to do one good unassisted rep to being able to crank out 20+. Definitely helped with injury prevention at BJJ and overall posterior chain strength.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the Titan SSBv2.  I like mine a lot.  However,  the chrome on mine was peeling within a few weeks.  Doesn't matter to me and I'd buy it again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
This has been an inspirational thread. So much so that I decided to put together my own home gym. Based on the advice of many in this thread I bought a Titan T3 rack and a Rogue Ohio Power bar. Waiting for delivery of my Rep Fitness FB-5000 bench and I can get back to work on a 5x5 regimen again. I went with the Titan iron weights due to the low initial cost and free shipping. As I progress I'll probably add Rogue bumper plates. I plan to build a plyo-box to use in conjunction with the olympic rings to do suspended pushups and bodyweight rows.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice job.  You really like red.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Cleaned up and move my tools to my little shop I built.  No more stepping over shit and getting frustrated..

i redid the home gym.  Treadmill will stay inside.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Subbing for later reading.  I've GOT to start working out.  Being over 40, combined with bunch of time in front of a computer, has me blowing up.  I'm currently about 30lbs overweight (206, 5'10", 43 years old).

Having owned a Bowflex Revolution that was so complicated I never started, I've decided to follow the advice of "all you need are a squat rack, some dumbbells, adjustable bench, powerbar, and weights".  I've got the space in my computer/whatever room downstairs in the house.  I understand that used weights (Facebook Marketplace, etc) are often the best place to score actual weights, dumbbells, and even bars.  Probably a bench, too.  Not so sure what I'm looking for in a squat rack, though.  I'll come back and re-read this thread.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I started with this last April.   We took about 25% of the 30x50 insulated shop and turned it into our home gym.

Most of our stuff has been scavenged from Craigslist and FB Swapshop for pennies on the dollar.

Still some stuff on our wishlist but it's functional.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife and I started with this last April.   We took about 25% of the 30x50 insulated shop and turned it into our home gym.

https://i.imgur.com/F4KnLgA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6JsuoM1.jpg

Most of our stuff has been scavenged from Craigslist and FB Swapshop for pennies on the dollar.

Semper Fi
View Quote
Looks good ??
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Semper Fi
View Quote
How tall is your TDS Power Rack?

I can't help but notice the variations between your rack and mine. The numbers for the adjustment holes on mine start at the bottom and there are 31 of them. My rack is 83 inches from the floor to the top of the uprights.

I really like mine, it's not quite like having a Rogue, but it's rated for 1000 lbs which is more than almost anyone would need. Not counting guys like Brian Shaw!

I'm also a little envious of the amount of room you have to work in, very nice. I've got "enough", but it's a little cramped.

The whole thing looks good!
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Added a treadmill to the equipment last night. The wife wanted one and we waited to find a good deal. Found one on FB yesterday. Nordictrack 950i. Went and looked at it and put it through a test. All the way up incline and speed and back down with me on it.  Belt has no fraying and the deck is still solid.

Wife did an Aaptiv workout on it this morning and loved it. Im going to be using it as well for incline work with rucks and sandbags. Has a 350# limit and has a 3.0 CHP motor.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is the free-weight area of our home Gym. The free-weight machines are all I really use. My wife has a couple different types of bikes and machines she uses that sit next to the free-weight area. The treadmill sitting next to the leg sled pretty well stays folded up until my son visits, since he's the only one who ever uses it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0771PVH79/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

I think is just the mode it's in.  Time, timer, countdown, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's my current home gym.    Can't figure out how to get image specific URL's from imgur

Ironmaster Dumbbells (w/fat 2" grips)
Ironmaster Super Bench PRO
" " Pullup attachment
" " Dips attachment
" " Leg press/curl attachment
" " Sit Up attachment
" " Hyperextension attachment
Ironmaster EZ Curl bar
Ironmaster Pulldown/Row tower w/seat
Various handles and rope for tower/row
Weight Trees/stands for both olympic and 1" plates

Lifespan Fitness TR5000-DT7 Treadmill Desk

1, 2, and 3lb weights for when the kids want to annoy and or copy me during a workout

Ironmaster has the Low Row Footrest on backorder so rowing right now is a little awkward.  Wore boots while hitting back over the weekend cuz my regular shoes felt like they were slipping

Edit: I should also add, I cropped the hell out of those pics because this is all in my freakin bedroom.  About 4" to the left of my dumbbell stand and 8" behind the end of my treadmill is my Queen sized tempurpedic lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Semper Fi
View Quote
Looks like mats off your platform are screwed down?  What did you layer or how many layers are there?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#36]
My little slice of heaven every morning.

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Our basement gym...

Nebula 6021 rack with 6021-B docking bench
Bigger Faster Stronger lat machine, leg ext/curl bench, and GHD
Power Systems adjustable pullup bar
Nebula 1080 dumbbell bench
Two sets of Powerblock dumbbells w/stands
Continental VKR
Airdyne
Schwinn IC Elite spin bike
Sunny Health & Fitness spin bike
Cannondale Optimo 3 on Kinetic Road Machine w/InRide
42" TV for Zwift & spinning videos
Dip stand, slam balls
Lynx Endurance bumpers and technique plates, with misc. iron change plates
8, 12, 16, 20, and 24kg kettlebells
Quest Power Bar
200 lb adjustable dumbbells on Titan stand with Powerhooks
Custom 7' curl bar, football bar, CFF 7kg training bar, Lynx Hybrid Bearing bar,  Titan camber bar

There's also a Lynx barbell stand in the corner with a York 6' bar and three EZ curl bars.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I see a lot of Glute Ham Developers in this thread. How do people like them?  Use them much?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I see a lot of Glute Ham Developers in this thread. How do people like them?  Use them much?
View Quote
Ours sees far more use as a Roman chair than a GHD, to be honest. It was a killer deal though ($40, plus the cost of a new pad from BFS), so I don't feel too bad about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]
whoops, nevermind.

Got a small gym setup going again. Everything I need...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I need to break down and get a lat pull down rig. I just do pull-ups and use bands now... which is cool but one can never have too much gym equipment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m just getting set up with the basics. I have a rack, platform, iron weights and a nice bar. I’m looking to get some bumper plates and a bench.

I really want to like Rep Fitness but their shipping prices take their stuff up to Rogue dollars.

Right now I’m looking at getting 160 lbs of Rogue HG 2 bumpers and a Rep FB 5000. This comes out to about $500.

Rep bumpers and a FB 5000 come out to about $350 plus $150 shipping.

Am I missing a better deal out there?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#43]
https://prlifting.com/

See how these guys compare for shipping
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd buy a reverse hyper if I did it again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'd buy a reverse hyper if I did it again.
View Quote
The $400 one from Titan is hard to ignore. Also a few used ones for $400 around here.

Bret Contreras, a fitness youtuber, recent said you’re better off with a 45 hyperextension bench and doing Nordic curls than tying up the money and space on a GHD. So I think I’m swaying away from them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://prlifting.com/

See how these guys compare for shipping
View Quote
They were $100+. Didn’t seem like small orders were their gig.

I’ll probably grab Rogue echo bumper plates this week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fray Fitness has a 15% off code this week; Fray15 I think. It’s on their social media. Much cheaper than Rogue even without the code. But resale value isn’t as high.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Might also be worth checking Walmart's website. They can get a handful of different bumper plate brands, and usually offer free shipping to the store.

If you're not going to be using them powerlifting and/or moving 400+ lbs, the crumb rubber bumpers from Diamond Pro or Hi-temp can be pretty economical. They're a bit wider than some of the other options, so you're typically limited to about 400 lbs or so on the bar.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fray Fitness has a 15% off code this week; Fray15 I think. It’s on their social media. Much cheaper than Rogue even without the code. But resale value isn’t as high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The code is Love15. That saved me about 40 bucks, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The code is Love15. That saved me about 40 bucks, thanks!
View Quote
Most all bumpers for sale come from one of a few factories. So these should be as good as any.

It’s all I can do not to pull the trigger one some stuff.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top