Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 129
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My 20 round CPD mag began to swell when it was loaded, making it difficult to insert into the magwell.

I contacted brownells and they sent me a pre paid return label

I think I'm gonna have them replace it with an E-lander
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whether I'm shooting groups at 100 or trying to hit targets at 1k I would adjust the magnification on my variable scopes to wherever I was comfortable with. After a while I noticed more often than not I was keeping it around 10x. The only time I'd really crank it up to 18x or whatever is when I as spotting shots for a buddy. So I figured I'd give the SWFA a try. The price tag was appealing too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since my 18" is pretty much a target rifle these days I ended up putting a SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 on it. I've got some relatively expensive optics and I like them but wanted to try this one since I've read alot of good things about it. So far I like it, haven't really stretched the rifles legs with it yet though.
Thats exactly what I have on my Larue 18" UU.
Whether I'm shooting groups at 100 or trying to hit targets at 1k I would adjust the magnification on my variable scopes to wherever I was comfortable with. After a while I noticed more often than not I was keeping it around 10x. The only time I'd really crank it up to 18x or whatever is when I as spotting shots for a buddy. So I figured I'd give the SWFA a try. The price tag was appealing too.
People don't think exit pupil be like  it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a reason the Marines used a 10x on their rifles for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not 1980 anymore. Theres no reason to roll a fixed anything this day and age.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Satern is having a sale on their grendel barrels

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/t/grendel-sale
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's not 1980 anymore. Theres no reason to roll a fixed anything this day and age.
View Quote
When it's a great scope at $300 odd it is.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, though don’t understand the small objective obsession these days. I guess it stems from my time hunting at dawn and twilight hours. For other applications I’m sure they’re great.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Agreed, though don’t understand the small objective obsession these days. I guess it stems from my time hunting at dawn and twilight hours. For other applications I’m sure they’re great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a fixed 4X in Iraq
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually run fixed on some of my kit.  A couple reasons.
1) You can't find a large objective on a 1-4X variable.  Large objective is good - it lets you see stuff at dawn and dusk, which is when a field gun is actually fired most of the time if hunting.  Apparently there's some physics or something that makes this hard to do on a variable that goes low, but a fixed 4X can have one.
2) Variable means an extra adjustment/knob.  Things go wrong.  With a fixed power, what you see is the same, every time.  Objects at the same distance look the same size every time.  It's never on the wrong setting.  The bullet-drop tick is never on the wrong power.  You pick it up, and that tick at 4 MOA and the next tick at 8 MOA, is always 4 and 8 MOA; always.  And while FFP sounds tacticool and in theory eliminates that issue;  in my experience I kind of hate it, as your retical pretty much disappears at the lower settings.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/18-65-grendel-med-mid-1-8-ss

What does this barrels description mean?

They're satern made barrels,  branded as brownells? Brownells is making changes in their barrel line up so these were left with Satern to liquidate?

Are these Satern cut barrel, or liberty  button?
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Every one I clicked on said liberty button rifled
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had a fixed 4X in Iraq
View Quote
I love ACOGs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
A great 300 dollar scope doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I love ACOGs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I actually run fixed on some of my kit.  A couple reasons.
1) You can't find a large objective on a 1-4X variable.  Large objective is good - it lets you see stuff at dawn and dusk, which is when a field gun is actually fired most of the time if hunting.  Apparently there's some physics or something that makes this hard to do on a variable that goes low, but a fixed 4X can have one.
2) Variable means an extra adjustment/knob.  Things go wrong.  With a fixed power, what you see is the same, every time.  Objects at the same distance look the same size every time.  It's never on the wrong setting.  The bullet-drop tick is never on the wrong power.  You pick it up, and that tick at 4 MOA and the next tick at 8 MOA, is always 4 and 8 MOA; always.  And while FFP sounds tacticool and in theory eliminates that issue;  in my experience I kind of hate it, as your retical pretty much disappears at the lower settings.
View Quote
I agree for hunting in particular. That's why my hunting rifles wear a fixed or variable that's low end is what I would want as a fixed. Gives the flexibility to increase magnification if needed but is exactly how I want it otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They're satern made barrels,  branded as brownells? Brownells is making changes in their barrel line up so these were left with Satern to liquidate?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Satern provided button rifled, Grendel 2 chambered barrels to Brownells for sale under Brownell's name. That's functionally a Liberty. Some of the really deeply discounted barrels in this sale will have Brownell's name on them. Many of these sale barrels will include a headspaced bolt.

Satern cut rifled barrels have SAAMI chambers. If it's a Grendel 2 chamber, it's a Liberty.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. Tracks extremely well, great clarity and no problems but I'll get rid of it immediately.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. Tracks extremely well, great clarity and no problems but I'll get rid of it immediately.
View Quote
I'm sure for 300 dollars nothing was sacrificed compared to say a kahles, NF, Vortex HD etc. If it works for you rock on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
What is the quality of the Satern barrels like?

Red
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the quality of the Satern barrels like?

Red
View Quote
If you're asking about the Liberty (button rifled, Grendel 2 chamber) barrels Satern makes, mine's pretty good. I recently built a 12.5" upper. Using a coarse-reticled 2-7x scope, my two best five-shot groups are 1.16 moa and 1.24 moa. Good ammo produces 1.5ish groups, mostly. These targets were shot after putting 180 or so rounds through it, thoroughly cleaning, and refouling. The two-shot target is the zero adjustment after shooting the first.

Attachment Attached File

The headspaced bolt it came with seems good. Function has been perfect. The barrel is dimpled for a gas block set screw. My gas port is oversized at .089. If they're all that size, you'll want an adjustable block (which I use anyway). If Satern's website shows in stock, they arrive in a few days.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking for loading opinions for range and deer.

I have a bunch of 123gr SSTs.  Looking for other options just because I'm bored at work.

120gr Gold Dot
120gr Sierra Pro Hunter
120gr Sierra GameChanger GameKing
127gr Barnes LRX (new one to me, supposedly a better TSX)
129gr Hornady SST

Any other options when I get my dies set up for Grendel?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]
129 nosler ablr
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
How are the Sabre Defence barrels?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking for loading opinions for range and deer.

I have a bunch of 123gr SSTs.  Looking for other options just because I'm bored at work.

120gr Gold Dot
120gr Sierra Pro Hunter
120gr Sierra GameChanger GameKing
127gr Barnes LRX (new one to me, supposedly a better TSX)
129gr Hornady SST

Any other options when I get my dies set up for Grendel?
View Quote
Mostly good results with the 120gr Gold Dot so far on the forum

120gr Pro Hunter has been good.

Wasn't aware Sierra had a 120gr Game Changer- I think that's a typo.  They have a 130gr Game Changer:

Not a lot of results with the 130gr TGK yet, just some initial work a few people have done.

127gr LRX seems really long, but people have used it without getting the memo.  A guy took Oryx with it in TX using an 18" JP Grendel.

129gr SST has been a factory load from Alexander Arms from the start, pretty brutal on deer and hogs.

123gr SST has probably been used more than any other bullet for medium/large game though.

I stacked them deep when we did a group buy through the forum and Hornady.

I also have been hoarding 129gr ABLR, but have't dialed-in my own load for it yet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
You're probably right on the gamechanger weight. I saw a couple posts about the Gold Dot, and was surprised I hadn't seen more.

Once I actually wake up I'll reread, thanks for the reply

Edit:  At work now, researching the 129gr ABLR.  That one is intriguing.  I'm assuming is has a relatively low expansion threshold, do we have any real confirmation on that?  I'd really like something like that for my 12" SBR.  Around here, average shot for a whitetail is 60-75 yards on the land I have available, so it's probably not a HUGE deal, but I like trying to control the variables.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Answered in 2011
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Answered in 2011
I replied in that same thread... in 2011.

I'm not in the 6.5g thread asking generally about SDI, I'd like to know how their barrels are with respect to the 6.5g.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You're probably right on the gamechanger weight. I saw a couple posts about the Gold Dot, and was surprised I hadn't seen more.

Once I actually wake up I'll reread, thanks for the reply

Edit:  At work now, researching the 129gr ABLR.  That one is intriguing.  I'm assuming is has a relatively low expansion threshold, do we have any real confirmation on that?  I'd really like something like that for my 12" SBR.  Around here, average shot for a whitetail is 60-75 yards on the land I have available, so it's probably not a HUGE deal, but I like trying to control the variables.
View Quote
129gr ABLR expands down to 1300fps.  It's very soft, but bonded.

It also has an excellent BC, so it doesn't like to slow down.

If your realistic ranges might go out farther like near farm fields, it's something to consider and train with.

If you're in tight like that, the 90gr TNT will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The poster between our replies has had some good replies on the subject in the past. Maybe he’ll repeat them?

I have a few, taking them one at a time, this one below seems promising.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

129gr ABLR expands down to 1300fps.  It's very soft, but bonded.

It also has an excellent BC, so it doesn't like to slow down.

If your realistic ranges might go out farther like near farm fields, it's something to consider and train with.

If you're in tight like that, the 90gr TNT will be fine.
View Quote
Good thinking. I appreciate the insight. I'll probably grab a few boxes of each to load and keep a mag with me of each depending on where I'm at location wise
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Isn't that the best time to research bullets and whatnot?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Isn't that the best time to research bullets and whatnot?
View Quote
Well I had an AR slung at the time so it makes sense to me!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#33]
LAX ammo has the 123 American gunner for $139 a can and free shipping over $200.

Finally dipping my toes in the Grendel pool after my hog hunting partner has been raving about his 12" PSA Grendel.

Picked up 2 cans of American gunner, suppressor mount, some Elander 17s, and a pulsar XP38. Should be quite the step up for me once our hog hunting "season" kicks off in a few weeks.

Might finally be a build worthy of putting my Gremlin lower together.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LAX ammo has the 123 American gunner for $139 a can and free shipping over $200.

Finally dipping my toes in the Grendel pool after my hog hunting partner has been raving about his 12" PSA Grendel.

Picked up 2 cans of American gunner, suppressor mount, some Elander 17s, and a pulsar XP38. Should be quite the step up for me once our hog hunting "season" kicks off in a few weeks.

Might finally be a build worthy of putting my Gremlin lower together.
View Quote
My Grendel upper spends most of its time on a Gremlin lower.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Any one have info/ load data on powders that have worked well with Ballistic advantage barrels?

Ive read CFE223 is hit or miss on certain barrels.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any one have info/ load data on powders that have worked well with Ballistic advantage barrels?

View Quote
I’m doing load development with CFE223 out of a BA barrel & will hopefully wrap it up tomorrow.

I was planning on doing a write up on it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m doing load development with CFE223 out of a BA barrel & will hopefully wrap it up tomorrow.

I was planning on doing a write up on it anyway.
View Quote
I'm also very interested in your findings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It didn’t shoot 129s worth a damn out of my carbine but AR Comp is acceptable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Has anybody tried the Nosler Varmageddon ?

I want to use them for hunting Coyotes and hogs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I've built my 6.5 grendel 18" SPR upper over 2 years ago now.  I finally picked up some ammo for it (hornady eld and sst).  Can't wait to break this bitch in.  And damn I figured the casings would be a bit bigger.... hard to imagine that it would push a 123 grain bullet supersonic to 1200 yards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#41]
OK, some load development for 6.5 Grendel using CFE223, 123 and 120 ELDs, 123 and 120 SMKs.

This is out of a Ballistic Advantage 20" DMR Fluted Stainless Steel, Premium Series barrel.  I think @ballisticadvantage is locked and I don't know who the industry sponsor is for Ballistic Advantage so I'm going to @ him anyway.  Its shot with a 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster, SSA-E trigger, front bipod, and rear monopod.  All bullets were loaded to where they just fit the magazine.  They would fit in the magazine, but they would not feed so I fed them one at a time as I shot.

And, shout out to my cola bros, its built with the ALG rail I got at Flyover.

You guys (should) know the standard disclaimer by now - I'm not a professional, all of my degrees are in the liberal arts so numbers aren't really my thing.  This information is for entertainment value only, consult a reloading manual before loading any ammunition and follow the formulas found in your manual only.  Reloading can be dangerous, you do so at your own risk.  Sometimes I type fast enough that I don't catch mistakes that I make so double check my work before you try to replicate any loads found below.  Plus its after midnight and I'm not at my clearest after midnight.

According to the Hornady reloading manual, max load for 120/123 bullets is 31.2gr of CFE223.  I backed off max 0.2 grains and started at 31 grains and then continued to reduce my loads by 0.1 grains.  I was planning on stopping after the 30.1 loadings, but a lot of my better groups were at the lower end of the spectrum so I may push into the 29 grain range and see what happens.  So this may still be a work in process, but here's where I'm at right now.

Raw data is in excel below.  The formula is;

(Target number)-(Bullet info)
Powder charge
Group Size
Velocity for each of the 5 rounds

Best groups per bullet were;
123 ELD - target 37 - .641 MOA - 30.2gr CFE223
123 SMK - target 38 - .769 MOA - 30.2gr CFE223
120 SMK - target 35 - .419 MOA - 30.3gr CFE223
120 ELD - target 12 - .868 MOA - 30.9gr CFE223

Raw Data:

My targets with measurements on them from onTarget:

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Just realized that I forgot to include COAL.

123 ELD:

123 SMK:

120 SMK:

120 ELD:

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Any reviews of Atheris Rifle Company uppers? I'm going to dip my foot into 6.5G and their uppers fit my price range. But i can find almost nothing on them, besides a 4 post thread from here with not a lot of information.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone know if Magpul's L Plates or Ranger Plates fit onto E-Lander mags?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I put together a 6.5G specifically trying to build the cheapest rifle I could. It’s a spare lower and an on-sale upper.  I finally got to shoot it today.

Must confess I’m a little disappointed, but only a little. It appears to be a “minute of pie plate@100y” rifle. It’s a cheap rifle that shoots like a cheap rifle. For blasting through cheap wolf ammo it might be perfectly acceptable, but it’s nothing I’d trust for making a tough shot.

Still might have to build a better one out of better components.  Either that or a creedmoor...
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I put together a 6.5G specifically trying to build the cheapest rifle I could. It’s a spare lower and an on-sale upper.  I finally got to shoot it today.

Must confess I’m a little disappointed, but only a little. It appears to be a “minute of pie plate@100y” rifle. It’s a cheap rifle that shoots like a cheap rifle. For blasting through cheap wolf ammo it might be perfectly acceptable, but it’s nothing I’d trust for making a tough shot.

Still might have to build a better one out of better components.  Either that or a creedmoor...
View Quote
Who's upper?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
You went cheap and are a little disappointed...makes sense.  My first 6.5G I spent $50 on a BCA barrel and it shoots MOA.  My second 6.5G I went with a used Lija barrel and it shoots better than my BCA, but not so much better when you consider the price difference.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Who's upper?
View Quote
I’m not ready to badmouth any components quite yet.  I’m going to blow this off and shoot it again next week before I blame the equipment.

Part of it may be a question of expectations.  I don’t shoot cheap rifles, generally.  I need to remind myself that I built a sub $500 rifle, and that expecting it to perform like a $1500+ rifle is probably unrealistic. Jackrabbits, hogs, and beer cans still need to be shot, and this rifle is perfectly good for that purpose and making occasional contributions to the lead content of the soil.

Also, you can’t judge a barrel’s performance from the first 50 rounds run through it. While it did pattern like a shotgun, it did settle down a little over time.  I expected better than I got though.

Finally, some of it could very well have been me.  I wasn’t on top of my game today. What I saw was beyond what I would normally expect from a bad range day, though.

The pros:

1. No mag trouble at all. 80 rounds, 100% reliability.
2. First shot had a light strike. Took out the BCG, lubed it. Worked flawlessly afterward.
3. Consistent 3:00 ejection

What did I think of my first 6.5G experience?

- recoil was about what I expected, totally manageable. Not sure if my little niece would like it, but not a bruiser by any stretch.
- accuracy wasn’t what I expected, but withholding final judgement
- overall, 6.5G hits a sweet spot for velocity/projectile size for me. I’d really like to find a way to make this work.  For cull hunts, hogs, and general purpose critter killing in a compact, semiauto package it should be almost ideal.

Ammo used:
Hornady 123gr BTHP
Hornady 123gr ELD
Hornady 123gr SST
Had some Federal 120gr, didn’t shoot it

Last 50 rounds belong on the wall of shame.

These would be shitty groups at 300-400y. At 100? Unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’m not ready to badmouth any components quite yet.  I’m going to blow this off and shoot it again next week before I blame the equipment.

Part of it may be a question of expectations.  I don’t shoot cheap rifles, generally.  I need to remind myself that I built a sub $500 rifle, and that expecting it to perform like a $1500+ rifle is probably unrealistic. Jackrabbits, hogs, and beer cans still need to be shot, and this rifle is perfectly good for that purpose and making occasional contributions to the lead content of the soil.

Also, you can’t judge a barrel’s performance from the first 50 rounds run through it. While it did pattern like a shotgun, it did settle down a little over time.  I expected better than I got though.

Finally, some of it could very well have been me.  I wasn’t on top of my game today. What I saw was beyond what I would normally expect from a bad range day, though.

The pros:

1. No mag trouble at all. 80 rounds, 100% reliability.
2. First shot had a light strike. Took out the BCG, lubed it. Worked flawlessly afterward.
3. Consistent 3:00 ejection

What did I think of my first 6.5G experience?

- recoil was about what I expected, totally manageable. Not sure if my little niece would like it, but not a bruiser by any stretch.
- accuracy wasn’t what I expected, but withholding final judgement
- overall, 6.5G hits a sweet spot for velocity/projectile size for me. I’d really like to find a way to make this work.  For cull hunts, hogs, and general purpose critter killing in a compact, semiauto package it should be almost ideal.

Ammo used:
Hornady 123gr BTHP
Hornady 123gr ELD
Hornady 123gr SST
Had some Federal 120gr, didn’t shoot it
View Quote
FWIW, I feel very very similar about my budget build. It's hard to be "ok" with a gun that seems to be less accurate then you are and remind yourself that it is good enough, or more than enough, for its intended purpose. Try to view it as a learning experience and go from there.
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top