Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2019 8:25:27 PM EDT
Ok, so we have a 3 yrs old female rottie. She is a great family member and is having some odd issues. I will do my best to describe, has our vet a little stumped as well.

Over the last 4-6 months we have noticed her face and below her jaw change. It's like the skin is firm, kind of leather like. And sorta looks like droopy. Then on each side of her muzzle, there is a vertical kind of roll. Think of a shared pei  wrinkle, but again leather like texture.
This particular wrinkle causes her lower eyelid to roll in, so she gets a discharge from her eye.

At first we figured a few things.
A- could lose a few pounds.
B- maybe a allergy reaction due to change of seasons or something else.

So she was at her eye friday afternoon,  basically wiping at it. Well she irritated it. So saturday we take her to the vet, they confirm she scratched her eye.
I talk about the rolled in eye lid, and the options. Then explain the skin and eye boogers.

The vet is kind of stumped, and says more then likely going to need to do a biopsy.  The leathery way her skin is , is well odd. It is on top of her head, under her chin and part of her neck. Anywhere else, well is normal rottweiler.

By leather, best comparison  I can think of use your belt or jacket. If you try to roll it to a fold, it is stiff and has some resistance.  It is slow to react and return when moved.

It's just weird and hard to describe.

Thoughts?

**update

Well we took her to the vet to do the biopsy. They had drawn blood to run some tests and found a high fat content in it. They then knocked her out and basically checked her over nose to stub.. We are bow waiting on lab work for Hypo thyroid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a dog that was too “yeasty”(vets description).

Apparently some dogs harbor too much yeast. It was very similar to the dermatitis without some of the more noticeable symptoms.

We gave some special baths that did help.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
She does not have the rash or itching part which seems to be part of the above link.
No reverse sneezing or any of the other symptoms.

Just the leathery like extra skin.

No loss of fur either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Mange in the early stages.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mange in the early stages.
View Quote
Kind of doubt for a few reasons.
A- indoors all the time, except to be walked to do her business.
B- in last year has not been around any other dogs or places with dogs.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top