Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2019 1:40:47 AM EDT
Do you carry oc on your belt?

Older deputies at the agency leave in the car at my agency and don't have much favorable to say about people who would use it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't carried it in years.  Cross contamination is all too common.

Gives me more room for a trauma kit
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I did at the beginning, but did not at the end. Belt weight and space wasn't an issue, as much as I didn't like the area denial aspect of the stuff, or it not working when I did deploy it.

Do not now as a contractor guard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
We're required to carry it. A lot of officers hate it and will never use it. Having a background in Corrections, I consider it a very valuable and effective tool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
We carried as part of the load doing gate duty on post when the unit was activated.

It was mostly a toy - I estimate what was expended was shot onto the floorboards of the HMMV passenger side to watch someone tear up. Yes, we did get qualified, it's effective in a platoon sized dose, but dtd it was just a way to harass other MP's on duty. "Boys will be boys."

I would suggest that if someone was intent on drawing and firing, they can, and would. It would be less accurate but the situation wouldn't be prevented, if anything, it would escalate. Other LEO's have remarked the individual saturated with spray is difficult to handle, it gets on other officers making them less capable or at least distracted, etc. Saps and nightsticks don't do that nearly as much.

The continuum of force was just fine as long as the Officers used it sparingly and with good decisions, but when things finally got out of hand and other methods came along, I have to wonder how much of that was marketing and how much was it city councils knuckling under to insurance liability and crowds of feel good citizens who were demanding they back down?

And now we have a thread on Home Depot locations which might shut down from theft because nobody enforces anything.

This isn't getting better until enforcement is swift and just. Too many children having children.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Policy violation if not carried and inspections every month for it. The baton is about useless these days. No one wants to use OC because it contaminates everyone and everything. I think the money and time used on the two would be better spent on BJJ training, physical fitness requirements and tasers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Dumped it from my belt as soon as I got off FTO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t mind things getting spicy if it’s called for.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes. Finally took the asp off the belt this year. Shouldn't eliminate all less lethal options and oc takes up almost no room on the belt
I remember when we had straight sticks that noone carried. Back then we had no force options between empty hand and lethal force.

I recall when we were first issued OC.

Tasers have only been issued gear for a few years and have documented failures.

Just can't understand why you would dump all of your options. Maybe if you worked in an urban agency with assured close-by backup
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
No longer carried here. Would be issued if requested, but no one does.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Policy says carry it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was a patrolman we had to carry it.  Used it very regularly to great effect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry it because I have to either carry it or an ASP.  I last used it a couple weeks ago and it just pissed the guy off even more.

I mainly keep it around for dogs, as it will work wonders on a growling dog.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Not required but I carry it. I make the point to ask my officers in training who don't carry it to explain to me what options they have when dealing with anything lower on the continuum than assaultive resistance. I love the looks I get form the older, out of shape guys that couldn't wrestle a kitten when they realize the only answer is hands on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It's part of the uniform, so yes.

But Tazers are optional....
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Until I had to start wearing glasses again, I used to wear sunglasses with clear lenses (not the same thing as safety glasses, oakleys with clear inserts). People made fun of me, but it was because of my experiences with pepper spray and especially in crowds, and to a lesser extent, getting hepatitis in my eye from someone spitting on me or being rude.

This officer now understands me.

guy spits pepper spray back into cop's mouth
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you carry oc on your belt?

Older deputies at the agency leave in the car at my agency and don't have much favorable to say about people who would use it.
View Quote
Mine got moved to my duty bag strap when we got Tasers. More an issue of real estate than anything.

Can't remember the last time I actually sprayed someone, lol.

J-
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#20]
We carry Sabre Red in gel form to try and minimize blowback.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#21]
We are required to carry it.  Ive sprayed 1 person in 18 years
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Not required to carry it.

I do carry it as it has provided me with a deterrent in an hostile environment in the past.

Better option for most other then huffers in a closed environment when dealing with multiple idiots in a hostile environment. Saved my ass a few times in the past.

ETA: In my past in corrections, It worked to keep a guy from being shot off the wire in an escape attempt, He somehow lost all English commands and realized it when a blast hit him in the face and comprehended his anti English no abla stance was not going to work. Also attempting to lockdown inmates a few times that were supposed to be locked down and however refused to lock up in their concrete box. I loved the bulldogging I got on the tiers in the gladiator schools in the day.

Also to note- We used to do forced cell extractions multiple times in a shift. We got so used to having the spray from the ispra jet soaking on our bodies, It became to us as nothing but a bad sun burn. The inmates hated it though. Sometimes 4 extractions a shift in the DOC facility I worked back then. Our teams were only allowed to do 2 a shift at the time per policy. That didn't happen though.

We recently had an inmate that decided not to comply with directives in the jail and got sprayed. I am sure he spread word to the rest of the invicts to make sure they know OC sucks.

I still carry a can to in front of my duty pistol holster on my strong side.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Carry it every day at work, Phantom. I haven't used it but my staff has, and Phantom is the Devil's own farts. Works like a charm. If you can't judge wind direction don't use it, but if you know how to use gas as a one on one tool OR area denial, it's great stuff. Had a bus go nuts in a sally port - hosed it with Phantom, and whaddya know - everyone wants off nice and neat so they can get to the cool, clear, running water.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I carried it for the last fifteen years on the job.  But, I think I saw as many LEOs get sprayed using it, as I saw suspects.  We all learned to fight through it.  A lot of suspects did, too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#25]
So after having to secure an obese drunk woman into a restraint chair this morning I really wished our jail staff were issued the tools to turn her world into orange spicy hell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OC has to be the most inconsistent and contested tool in the kit.

I hated it, hated using it and never had it produce any real results. I know other guys, like you, that loved it and used it successfully.

Odd indeed.
View Quote
@bcauz3y

Yeah I dunno.  Maybe different brands are better than others. Cant remember the name of ours as this was in the mid-90s but it was a combo of 1% OC and CS mixed together. It was a stream style, not a fog/mist style.  In five years I sprayed 46 people.  It never once failed and took the fight out of dudes with a quickness. We Carried PR-24s and I finally convinced the PD to authorize ASPs as most guys would not carry the PR except on rare occasion.  This was all before Tazers were a thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@bcauz3y

Yeah I dunno.  Maybe different brands are better than others. Cant remember the name of ours as this was in the mid-90s but it was a combo of 1% OC and CS mixed together. It was a stream style, not a fog/mist style.  In five years I sprayed 46 people.  It never once failed and took the fight out of dudes with a quickness. We Carried PR-24s and I finally convinced the PD to authorize ASPs as most guys would not carry the PR except on rare occasion.  This was all before Tazers were a thing.
View Quote
Either Freeze + P, or Sabre Advanced are mixes of CS and OC.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Either Freeze + P, or Sabre Advanced are mixes of CS and OC.
View Quote
Yep!  Thanks!  I called back to my old PD and confirmed it was Freeze +P. Still using it after all these years. Kinda makes me want to order some up out of nostalgia.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine sits in my desk drawer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#30]
we are required to carry it.

Even though we have multiple different less than lethal options available.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Required to carry it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Any combination of 2 less lethal options - taser, oc, or baton. Rural area, I won't use the baton. Tack that on to a corrections background.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Funny story time. We used to go thru pepper spray like a fat kid goes through cake.  It was nothing to use a can a week. A UOF report was a 3x5 card given to your sgt. I used to pepper spray fighting drunks and tell them to go home.

Then tasers came about and everyone forgot about pepper spray.  Then tasers get attention in the media and the paperwork and hassle of using the damn thing became massive. Taser deployment is made a level 2 UOF so it's a long reporting process and review all the way up to Assistant Chief.

This did not apply to other compliance tools so everyone went back to pepper spray.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Used to use pepper spray all the time. Loved it. I’ve sprayed a lot of people and have never seen it fail. I have seen it work better on some than others though.

That said, been carrying a Taser for the past 7+ years and gotta say.....it really works well. Still carry pepper spray but mainly use it on dogs.

One issue with pepper spray and cross contamination is the super hot sprays like Fox. Super hot isn’t needed. I’ve never had a failure from years of using First Defense. First Defense is plenty hot and hotter is only going to increase cross contamination.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Have to by policy, trying to get that changed. I'd throw it in the trash if possible.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep it in my seat organizer. I put it in my back pocket on loose dog calls. Sabre Red has worked on every dog I’ve sprayed so far, and that’s all I plan to use it for.

We are required by policy to carry a Taser while in uniform and our impact weapon is a rechargeable MagLite or a Streamlite SL20.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I know people who's personal force escalation is verbal commands then OC.

I have never used it, but after being hurt a few times fighting with people I may start being more liberal with it's use. I have a straight baton but in today's world the optics are bad. Collapsible batons are worthless.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Required.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope, baton/monadnock are go toos though. Oc is in the bag for crowds though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Carry oc on my duty belt, works great on turds. When they can't see or breath well it cuts their resistance alot. Cross contamination is an issue but it works well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]
For us our tazers/batons/oc are all level 2 uses of force.

Really makes it hard from going to verbal, to control tactics, to level 2.

Not having any intermediary options sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top