Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 5/18/2020 11:42:37 AM EDT
Slowly turning my hunting/camping rig for longer stays out with my kids in the outdoors.

Just wanted to see whats everyones setup.

edit: this is my 20yr old Land Cruiser still going on strong.

really the only thing I have added to it is a fridge:

everything else Ive had for camping and hunting
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The "overlanding" craze is retarded. It involves an Instagram feed and being forum famous while dumping 50-100k into a vehicle.  I own A 12Vv Luna fridge. I use a 100AH standalone battery for juice. Charged with generator. Currently upgrading from a wall tent to probably a shiftpod and diesel heater. Trying to get away from the heavy frame setup and cutting firewood. If frequently on the move like scouting for animals we just rough it in a 3 season tent next to the truck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been spending a few nights at a time, over the years, sleeping in the bed of my pickup. Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
The "overlanding" craze is retarded. It involves an Instagram feed and being forum famous while dumping 50-100k into a vehicle.  I own A 12Vv Luna fridge. I use a 100AH standalone battery for juice. Charged with generator. Currently upgrading from a wall tent to probably a shiftpod and diesel heater. Trying to get away from the heavy frame setup and cutting firewood. If frequently on the move like scouting for animals we just rough it in a 3 season tent next to the truck.
View Quote

+1

overlanding is the new hipster thing.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it covers the concept well.  Yes insta overboard is a thing but basically the idea is kinda comfortable camping remotely with a vehicle more capable than a 40 foot RV.  

I don't have anything to add as I'm pretty stock just sleep in the back and have lots of water.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get an RV
Or a vehicle with a tent.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a new Tacoma OR double cab long bed last week.
Ordered op a cap, rack, lighting inside and will be building a modular sleeping platform.

My wife and I, on the road during camping trips, slept in our other truck 2 nights and our Pilot once.
She loved it.
So now we will pull the canoe on a small trailer full of our drybags and if need be, sleep in the back of the new Tacoma.
We usually backpack or paddle, but will be having more time. The set up I'm building will allow more flexible travel with storage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
For the OP. There is an endless amount of information on the expedition portal forum. Watch out because there is no limit to what you can spend on this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing special. Just a RTT on my JKU. Took the rear seats out for more room and a flatter floor.
Had Yeti cooler, general camping stuff (chairs, canopy, cooking stuff, sun shower, etc)
Went from Florida to Joplin, MO to take Route 66 over to Texas and up to Colorado and back.
Spent a couple nights camping, then a night at a hotel for a hot shower and king size bed.

This is only pic I have at the moment, somewhere in Colorado.

Can't wait to do it again.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an "overlander".  But I just call it my camping rig.  It has a roof top tent, a fridge, and all the gear I need to disappear for a week in the woods.  I have done 4k mile road trips with it and camped for all that road trip.  I have been on dirt with it for over 24 hrs (almost ran out of fuel even having 5L extra).  And when I get my real camping rig done I will have even more range and better capabilities.

Current rig, GX470.

My better rig that is being worked on, tripple locked FZJ80 getting a 6.2L Chevy V8 and a 6l90e.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The "overlanding" craze is retarded. It involves an Instagram feed and being forum famous while dumping 50-100k into a vehicle.  I own A 12Vv Luna fridge. I use a 100AH standalone battery for juice. Charged with generator. Currently upgrading from a wall tent to probably a shiftpod and diesel heater. Trying to get away from the heavy frame setup and cutting firewood. If frequently on the move like scouting for animals we just rough it in a 3 season tent next to the truck.
View Quote

and thats what i meant, im not looking for wiz bang stuff, theres ig for that.

i am looking mostly for diy stuff, looking to save $ and get ideas.

like the shower system  I am putting together, is an ATV sprayer!

i dont mind the hipsters with their 100k rigs and gear, as long as they respect the trail and tread lightly.

I for one, think its a good thing the young people are getting inspired to go outdoors.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:

and thats what i meant, im not looking for wiz bang stuff, theres ig for that.

i am looking mostly for diy stuff, looking to save $ and get ideas. 

like the shower system  I am putting together, is an ATV sprayer! 

i dont mind the hipsters with their 100k rigs and gear, as long as they respect the trail and tread lightly. 

I for one, think its a good thing the young people are getting inspired to go outdoors.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

i dont mind the hipsters with their 100k rigs and gear, as long as they respect the trail and tread lightly. 

I for one, think its a good thing the young people are getting inspired to go outdoors.

So what do you even have now in terms of vehicle and setup?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By xLucidx:

+1

overlanding is the new hipster thing.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xLucidx:

+1

overlanding is the new hipster thing.

Only ON Instagram. Go to something like Overland Expo and the vast majority of the vehicles in the parking lot just have a few things on them. I just have a rack, a tool box, and mounts for jerry cans. That's it. Everything else just gets tossed in the bed and tied down. Even ones with the pop up tents and tricked out kitchens make up less than 10%. Most people go to these expos to ooh-ahh at the neat stuff that costs thousands of dollars- like if gun owners went to SHOT or the international arms shows.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
If you aren't a member here, it's a good starting point:  https://expeditionportal.com/
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Overlanding is car camping with a Instagram account.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is an ATV with a gas can and some camping equipment.  Have done 3-6 day trips, as much as 130 miles per day, carrying camp with me.  Although I generally stop in some little town at least every other day for gas and water.

No fancy trailer or gear, just a tent, tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and some food and water.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried the whole Roof Top Tent thing, I prefer a ground tent still. OZ Tent has been my favorite.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
“Rig.”

LOL
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been looking in to overlanding as well. I've done a lot of tent camping. I enjoy off roading in the southwest. I've been considering a small overlanding trailer set up with a rooftop type tent. I'm the type that would prefer to trailer in to NP or BLM land, set up a base camp then go trail riding/exploring. As I have been doing it, I unload everything from my pickup and set it all up. A self contained trailer set up appeals to my style.

Edit;

A vehicle mounted rooftop tent is a hard no for me. You must break it down every time you want to leave your camp.
A popup camper would be fine, but not suitable for some of the trails that take you to dispersed camp sites.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Rig."

LOL
View Quote

Is that like "kit"?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Been working on my overlanding rig since February,  so far all I've done is lifted an xj.

But that was the slow, painful part.  The mods should start moving faster now.

I'm not doing a RTT, and a fridge will have to wait for next year.

So pretty much car camping with a 4x4.

I'm actually building it as my bugout/boogaloo vehicle.  

I have a theory that the current craze is a way for people to step into prepping without feeling like a crazy person hording 55 gallon drums of baked beans.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Why did they rename car camping?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Yeah it's called car camping.  But you can't call it that on instagram and get a like from the hipster crowd.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife and I have a Chrysler Pacifica that we use for car camping. We love it for what we do. In fact, we both took a 3 hour nap in it yesterday. Got tired on a job site and just took a nap.

I have spent 45+ nights in it so far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why did they rename car camping?
View Quote

They started going places that you can't take a car.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
I have an "overlander".  But I just call it my camping rig.  It has a roof top tent, a fridge, and all the gear I need to disappear for a week in the woods.  I have done 4k mile road trips with it and camped for all that road trip.  I have been on dirt with it for over 24 hrs (almost ran out of fuel even having 5L extra).  And when I get my real camping rig done I will have even more range and better capabilities.

Current rig, GX470.

My better rig that is being worked on, tripple locked FZJ80 getting a 6.2L Chevy V8 and a 6l90e.
View Quote

@tmleadr03

link to Expo or MUD build thread ??
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm interested in it because I'd like to find the ideal vehicle or vehicle+trailer to go on sketchy Forest Service and BLM roads and then boondock for 2 weeks at a time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Eh, there are worse ways to spend 50-100k.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I prefer a ground tent. 1986 Toyota FJ-60

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

Yeah it's called car camping.  But you can't call it that on instagram and get a like from the hipster crowd.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

Yeah it's called car camping.  But you can't call it that on instagram and get a like from the hipster crowd.

Car camping is usually just that, taking your car and going camping.

"Overlanding" is a bit of a misused term, it originally described long range, vehicle dependent travel in rough conditions.
Say from CA to AK and back or NY to Central America, that sort of stuff.

To me, there are 3 variations.
"Car camping": Put tent and gear in car, drive to campground, camp. Maybe do some hiking or fishing.
"Weekenderlanding" (phrase coined by a youtuber who is likely a member here): 2-4 day long trailrides in moderate offroad terrain, camping for the night at different spots along the way.
"Overlanding" Week+ long trips that are a mix of pavement and offroad, often crossing into other countries and into locations where few people travel.

I have been doing the "weekender" version of this on and off for over 20 years (before the phrase was even coined or Insta existed). As I have gotten older, I have wanted more comforts of home to go along with my exploring. The  cheapie Walmart tent, styrofoam cooler full of beer, some gas station snacks and beater truck with no AC have been replaced by more extensive things (I have a fridge and a travel Keurig in my truck among other creature comforts).

The insta crowd can be overbearing at times but the numbers of them have driven product innovations since there is more of a market for this type of stuff.

Old (now semi retired) "overland" truck.

Attachment Attached File

New one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I don’t overland, but I truck camp in a Tacoma with a canopy. I built a platform in the back that works great as a bed, and gear fits underneath. Have a Goal zero battery that charges electronics and a small fan at night to keep us comfortable.

Have saved bookoo bucks on hotels and had a lot of fun all over the country in it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's my setup, it's currently on the DL after an incident where I snapped the axle. (Field fixed; new axle installed, but had to take a leaf out to make it work on the trail, and there's some cosmetic damage to fix also)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Smithsonian Buttes Near Zion Utah.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Overlanding, sticking a buncha expensive shit in your truck, to drive somewhere cool, to eat good food, and do it all for the ‘Gram.

Of all the 4x4 centric vehicle crazed stateside, I think this one is hear to stay. And I’m good with that — so long as people treat the outdoors with respect and know their limits. A lot more people are starting to explore parts of this country that few ever did. They’re seeing that there’s a lot of beauty in their own backyard.

My setup is rather simple. Fridge. Roof rack. And of course lifts, skids and such but that’s not needed for overlanding. My fridge slide I built myself for like $30 the ones on the market is in the hundreds. I’ll also be building a removable camp kitchen just to make it more organized and easier to use.

It’s awesome to get out there and not take the interstate.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@tmleadr03

link to Expo or MUD build thread ??
View Quote

I might have some pics somewhere but don't have a build thread sorry.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Taco with lifted(7") Fleetwood pony/15A generator/ 5gal propane for heater and stove.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
My standard entry into the usual GD Overlanding thread:

Our 200 and Turtleback are in that video but our 100 is what we started with and it's also been all over the US and Canada. Been doing overlanding since before instagram and the monetizer leeches. Most of our compadres have too. It's been a lifestyle that has enabled my kids to visit 47 states and 3 provinces and the oldest is in middle-school. Don't do it for the 'gram; do it for your family!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
My standard entry into the usual GD Overlanding thread: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyto-sfw64

Our 200 and Turtleback are in that video but our 100 is what we started with and it's also been all over the US and Canada. Been doing overlanding since before instagram and the monetizer leeches. Most of our compadres have too. It's been a lifestyle that has enabled my kids to visit 47 states and 3 provinces and the oldest is in middle-school. Don't do it for the 'gram; do it for your family!
View Quote

beautiful shot! makes me want to add a drone.

i am doing it for my kids, they love the outdoors, and now i am about to push the camping rig to further distances.

i am going to do the Georgia Traverse with them, camping out on the trail for 3 days. Being out that long changes alot of things vs being in a regular camp w electricity.

now i have to think of everything we need for those 3 days to fit in the rig. food, gas, water, shower, bathroom, kitchen, lodging etc.

so, yes its car camping, its overlanding, but id rather get info from here who are hunters and actual adventurers vs most of the other forums who do it mostly for the gram and have skinny jeans.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I get it.  I really do.  

But fucking A man, I find many of the young guys out in their tricked out 4runners havent the first damn clue about trail etiquette, leave no trace, etc.  Do a minute of web search on local rules and regulations, pack out your trash and put out your campfire and we shouldn’t have too many problems.  

Btw I work out in CO And patrol a couple of areas that are popular with the overland crowd.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Uhm....We just call that camping or hunting...

Main hunting camp...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A quick camp...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have slowly built my 2003 4Runner into a car-camping/overlanding/whateveryouwanttocallit vehicle.  Mild lift, decent tires, winch, drawers and a sleeping platform.

Haven't used it for more than campground camping yet, but I plan on hitting a few trips out west next year for some five to six night trips out in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Other than the 4WD vehicle, I prefer a standalone tent and kitchen area under a popup canopy.

98 Ford Explorer - rebuilt the entire suspension.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I go out into the middle of nowhere with a popup truck camper. Works fine. Not really overlanding but it gets more offroad than almost everyone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:
Why did they rename car camping?
View Quote

its because Overland implies going out of the way on a 4wd were a car cant go. But still includes car camping in regular camping grounds.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]
A few years ago I ran across a 70-something couple in their Mitsubishi cab-over diesel box truck that had something like a swiss cottage themed camper where the box would normally be. They had been all over S. America and were heading to Canada, then putting it on a boat to end up in St. Petersburg.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top