User Panel

Page / 231
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the best bang for your buck thermal scope? I've been looking for the RXQ30V from Pulsar, but I'm not sure if they've been discontinued
View Quote

Probably the 320 core thermions or the super hogster.  But if you can wait I would wait.  Infiniray is going to release the Rico Bravo sight soon and I hear it will be extremely competitive price and feature wise.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you for the business and trust with our gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered a PVS14 from TNVC. 15-20 week lead time. Should be here before my can stamps are approved at least.

I know it's worth the wait. BTW the guys on the vshott last night (with two Ts) were cracking me up once they broke out the beers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Probably the 320 core thermions or the super hogster.  But if you can wait I would wait.  Infiniray is going to release the Rico Bravo sight soon and I hear it will be extremely competitive price and feature wise.
View Quote

Interesting, haven't heard of them, do you have a link to a site that sells Infiniray products ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My God. I need one. What thermal scope is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My God. I need one. What thermal scope is that?

Quoted:

Can you tell me the model, and how much recoil this thing can handle?

@Mr_Psmith @CamelPatriot

Trail XP38. I think they have been discontinued in favor of the new Thermions.  

Not sure on recoil, but my buddy uses a XP50 on a 16" 308 and mine usually stays on a 12" 6.5G without any issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Why buy just one, when you could get two at twice the price?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know it's worth the wait. BTW the guys on the vshott last night (with two Ts) were cracking me up once they broke out the beers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered a PVS14 from TNVC. 15-20 week lead time. Should be here before my can stamps are approved at least.

TNVC's VSHOTT was some of the most entertaining video that I have seen in years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone figure out how to manually nuc a mh25? I can change it from auto/manual, but that's it.
would have been nice to be able to set the auto nuc to longer intervals too, every 5 sec is a tad excessive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TNVC's VSHOTT was some of the most entertaining video that I have seen in years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I can't wait until the next one. Dudes are funny.

My heart skipped when they announced the winner of the pvs14. She said the first name and when she stumbled with the last name, it almost sounded like she was trying to say my last name. Wasn't me tho
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone figure out how to manually nuc a mh25? I can change it from auto/manual, but that's it.
would have been nice to be able to set the auto nuc to longer intervals too, every 5 sec is a tad excessive.
View Quote

RTFM?

5.3: https://cdn.ultimatenightvision.com/pdf/manuals/InfiRay_USA_MINI_Users_Manual.pdf
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Push in on the button that you use to select options on the menu
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm getting antsy awaiting my poor man's bino build... PVS-5/31 conversion through Nocturn Industries. I consulted with a trusted source who knows the work Jeff @ Nocturn does and said there will be limitations with the tubes, given what they are (expected as they are Gen2+), but realistically I'm not going to be spending $4-10k on a set of duals and mono anything gives me motion sickness like no tomorrow - something I learned while hunting and trying to use my rangefinder and regular binoculars as a monocular/spotting scope. I couldn't imagine trying to do that in the dark without feeling like I was going to puke.

So, sub-$1800ish later, I'll be awaiting this:

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I must have missed it in the manual.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the JP Enterprises 22lr upper zeroed at 50 and put out some bait for the raccoons. Lets see what happens tonight. Probbably nothing, but any night under NV is better than not
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Went to the range tonight and a buddy let me try his MAWL. If you need to laze and illuminate some dude at 200 yards away... accept no substitute.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got the JP Enterprises 22lr upper zeroed at 50 and put out some bait for the raccoons. Lets see what happens tonight. Probbably nothing, but any night under NV is better than not
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20210129_152919-1802526.jpg
View Quote

I am jealous. I want a REAP-IR so bad but just cant bring myself to pony up the duckies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread title has reached meme status for me now. Anytime I read "OMFG" my brain automatically adds "NIGHT VISION" (in all caps of course)
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20210129_152919-1802526.jpg
View Quote

How does that upper do with Center-X?   What size groups are you getting at 50?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How does that upper do with Center-X?   What size groups are you getting at 50?
View Quote
It's too soon to say conclusively but it's not off to a good start. It's either the suppressor or the thermal, or both, but the group sizes are 3 or 4 inches at 50

I ended up switching to the Gemtech subsonic orange box because it was about half the Center-X group size and pretty consistent at 2 inches or so

JP has a great reputation with Center-X but I don't recall seeing many match shooters using suppressors, so I'm still going to bench it with the howitzer sized brake it shipped with to see how it does

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am jealous. I want a REAP-IR so bad but just cant bring myself to pony up the duckies.
View Quote
I've been extremely impressed by mine but it's not necessarily the optimal price to performance ratio. I doubt anyone makes a better thermal as far as performance goes, but the REAP is also the most expensive out there and missing a lot of the bells and whistles of other commercial grade models. Personally I don't care that much about those features, but maybe the REAP forced me not to care because it doesn't have them

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been extremely impressed by mine but it's not necessarily the optimal price to performance ratio. I doubt anyone makes a better thermal as far as performance goes, but the REAP is also the most expensive out there and missing a lot of the bells and whistles of other commercial grade models. Personally I don't care that much about those features, but maybe the REAP forced me not to care because it doesn't have them
View Quote

I am definitely in the market. Looking into best bang for the buck type setup. I need to do some research.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much sums up my feelings on them as well lol. I've really come to appreciate how well they hold zero after dismounting/mounting too. Really nice when you can swap from rifle to rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pretty much sums up my feelings on them as well lol. I've really come to appreciate how well they hold zero after dismounting/mounting too. Really nice when you can swap from rifle to rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a lot of trouble in the early days with it holding zero then I read that you have to push the DLok all the way forward before tightening it down. After that it has seemed to work pretty well

My REAP is gen 1 and I tried swapping it upside down with a Wilcox weapon mount. It worked ok if you didn't remove it from the mount but it was a disaster as far as holding zero went if you did take it out of the Wilcox mount  

Kinda a shame too, I was enjoying the red dot on top. It let me carry the Grendel AR during the day too which was nice, but it was also a PITA with the view upside down and the controls reversed

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am definitely in the market. Looking into best bang for the buck type setup. I need to do some research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never owned one because I went straight to the REAP, but I would usually say NVision Halo because they get great reviews from people who have them and because the performance is excellent. I've looked through a couple friends who own NVision products and they are impressive

@tmm1270
@jeepinjoe17

These days I have my eye on the NOX 35mm. Seems like it is going to be quite the performer using the same BAE 12 micron core as the REAP but I haven't checked on the full feature list yet. Helmet and weapon mountable out of the box and they make a 25mm 1x version that more people will probably want as a helmet mount. I personally still prefer 2.5 or 2.8x even for a helmet mount

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Well. After considering this for months now, I now see the light. My cousin brought his WP PVS14 around tonight and we did some shooting. Fuck me running. I don’t know how I ever thought it was acceptable to not have NV.

Unless something pops up on the EE in the next few days,  I’ll be jumping in the wait line with TNVC this week. Uppers and optics will be going up for sale. I completely understand the “you only need one rifle” mentality now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well. After considering this for months now, I now see the light. My cousin brought his WP PVS14 around tonight and we did some shooting. Fuck me running. I don't know how I ever thought it was acceptable to not have NV.

Unless something pops up on the EE in the next few days,  I'll be jumping in the wait line with TNVC this week. Uppers and optics will be going up for sale. I completely understand the "you only need one rifle" mentality now.
View Quote
Good for you

It's a fun world for sure and you should definitely have at least one NV capable rifle

One thing to note though, they get heavy fast with lights, lasers and suppressors, so you may not want to sell every other rifle just yet. Not until you get used to your 10 pound night time monster
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good for you

It's a fun world for sure and you should definitely have at least one NV capable rifle

One thing to note though, they get heavy fast with lights, lasers and suppressors, so you may not want to sell every other rifle just yet. Not until you get used to your 10 pound night time monster
View Quote

I hear ya. I plan on keeping two SBRs and a 14.5 pinned lightweight. Definitely not downsizing to only one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a lot of trouble in the early days with it holding zero then I read that you have to push the DLok all the way forward before tightening it down. After that it has seemed to work pretty well

My REAP is gen 1 and I tried swapping it upside down with a Wilcox weapon mount. It worked ok if you didn't remove it from the mount but it was a disaster as far as holding zero went if you did take it out of the Wilcox mount  

Kinda a shame too, I was enjoying the red dot on top. It let me carry the Grendel AR during the day too which was nice, but it was also a PITA with the view upside down and the controls reversed

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20200407_125002-1355949.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20200407_125002-1355949.jpg
Mine is an IR hunter reap, I assume that's the Gen 1 model. I haven't had any trouble with it, aside from its insatiable appetite for batteries lol. Need to find a junk terminator I can jack a hydrogen power cell from.

I have the tnvc batteries for it, but I'd like to try the 16650 extension tube to cut down on weight.

Didn't know they made a weapons mount for it, that's pretty cool. Shame it doesn't return to zero though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Just got this puppy.  Working on cutting it down to 13 inches, attaching a flip to side mount, and a suppressor.  And then killing a bunch of hogs

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an Arisaka/Malkoff  EX IR 250 head inbound. Now if I can just find an evening to go play in the woods...
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just got this puppy.  Working on cutting it down to 13 inches, attaching a flip to side mount, and a suppressor.  And then killing a bunch of hogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIo5JsagbA

View Quote

That's bad ass
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've never owned one because I went straight to the REAP, but I would usually say NVision Halo because they get great reviews from people who have them and because the performance is excellent. I've looked through a couple friends who own NVision products and they are impressive

@tmm1270
@jeepinjoe17

These days I have my eye on the NOX 35mm. Seems like it is going to be quite the performer using the same BAE 12 micron core as the REAP but I haven't checked on the full feature list yet. Helmet and weapon mountable out of the box and they make a 25mm 1x version that more people will probably want as a helmet mount. I personally still prefer 2.5 or 2.8x even for a helmet mount

https://nvisionoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/NOX35_weapon-600x401.jpg

View Quote

Trijicon and nvision are top of the line. You’ll pay for that, but you’ll never want for anything. I’ve had good CS out of both. If you want to make videos/be IG killa, get pulsar, it’s the easiest to do that . CS want excellent in the past, no idea about current situation. The hogster is “made” in US(insert smiley face that I’m too dumb to figure out) and apparently is so good it need mentioned in every thread, ever, about anything. Full disclosure, I don’t/won’t ever own one, but have used them , so my opinion on that should be taken at face value. The rest I’ve drug through mud, and beat the hell out of.

One piece of advice, buy quality. It doesn’t have to be 640, it doesn’t have to be the most expensive, but it needs to be quality.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Trijicon and nvision are top of the line. You’ll pay for that, but you’ll never want for anything. I’ve had good CS out of both. If you want to make videos/be IG killa, get pulsar, it’s the easiest to do that . CS want excellent in the past, no idea about current situation. The hogster is “made” in US(insert smiley face that I’m too dumb to figure out) and apparently is so good it need mentioned in every thread, ever, about anything. Full disclosure, I don’t/won’t ever own one, but have used them , so my opinion on that should be taken at face value. The rest I’ve drug through mud, and beat the hell out of.

One piece of advice, buy quality. It doesn’t have to be 640, it doesn’t have to be the most expensive, but it needs to be quality.
View Quote

Coincidentally I was just minutes ago trying to figure out where the Hogster is made. So is it assembled in the US with foreign parts or something?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#37]
In.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Coincidentally I was just minutes ago trying to figure out where the Hogster is made. So is it assembled in the US with foreign parts or something?
View Quote

To be clear, I don’t currently, not have I ever worked at/for Bering optics. So it’s entirely possible the are currently manufacturing every single piece of it here in the USA. They were advertising originally, as made in the US. I believe it switched over to assembled in the US .....

The thermal imaging world is actually very small. Essentially in consumer mkt, you have nvision, Trijicon, pulsar, atn, Bering , and until very recently, flir/armasight. A guy could do some research about ATN original players, and compare them to above listed names .

If made in the us is important, I’d suggest going top shelf. If it’s not, spend your money where you see fit . Boris thanks you in advance
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To be clear, I don’t currently, not have I ever worked at/for Bering optics. So it’s entirely possible the are currently manufacturing every single piece of it here in the USA. They were advertising originally, as made in the US. I believe it switched over to assembled in the US .....

The thermal imaging world is actually very small. Essentially in consumer mkt, you have nvision, Trijicon, pulsar, atn, Bering , and until very recently, flir/armasight. A guy could do some research about ATN original players, and compare them to above listed names .

If made in the us is important, I’d suggest going top shelf. If it’s not, spend your money where you see fit . Boris thanks you in advance
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine is an IR hunter reap, I assume that's the Gen 1 model. I haven't had any trouble with it, aside from its insatiable appetite for batteries lol. Need to find a junk terminator I can jack a hydrogen power cell from.

I have the tnvc batteries for it, but I'd like to try the 16650 extension tube to cut down on weight.

Didn't know they made a weapons mount for it, that's pretty cool. Shame it doesn't return to zero though.
View Quote
IR-X RECHARGEABLE POWER KIT: TRIJICON REAP-IR

That's what I bought for the REAP to solve the battery problem. I didn't like the overpriced external USB battery pack or the wire associated with it, but the IR-X works really well (even though it's also expensive). I get about 3 hours of operation depending on the temperature and 17500 batteries are pretty cheap so I carry a few extra with me

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1691/2963/files/IRX_Bobro-17_grande.jpg?v=1554732674

That's what I bought for the REAP to solve the battery problem. I didn't like the overpriced external USB battery pack or the wire associated with it, but the IR-X works really well (even though it's also expensive). I get about 3 hours of operation depending on the temperature and 17500 batteries are pretty cheap so I carry a few extra with me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1691/2963/files/IRX_Bobro-17_grande.jpg?v=1554732674

Awesome, definitely ordering that one. The pack is nice for the extended life, but I hate having to baby my gun to keep from yanking the cord out, and that battery just adds too much bulk for my liking. Pretty well stocked on batteries already for it since it's the same ones the mh25 takes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Awesome, definitely ordering that one. The pack is nice for the extended life, but I hate having to baby my gun to keep from yanking the cord out, and that battery just adds too much bulk for my liking. Pretty well stocked on batteries already for it since it's the same ones the mh25 takes.
View Quote

Mh25 uses 16340, and 16650 batteries (and 123s of course).  The reap model uses 17500 batteries
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s another similar setup made by third coast thermal. Uses 2 x 16650. Can get about5-6.5 hrs run time . Design is almost identical, just different dimensions. Cost about same if I remember right
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mh25 uses 16340, and 16650 batteries (and 123s of course).  The reap model uses 17500 batteries
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll be damned, I completely missed that battery spec, I was looking at the other kit for the other models by IR defense.   Idk why they wouldn't make them the same, I'd imagine the 17500's are tight in that factory battery tube part of the reap.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's another similar setup made by third coast thermal. Uses 2 x 16650. Can get about5-6.5 hrs run time . Design is almost identical, just different dimensions. Cost about same if I remember right
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's another similar setup made by third coast thermal. Uses 2 x 16650. Can get about5-6.5 hrs run time . Design is almost identical, just different dimensions. Cost about same if I remember right
Looking at that one now, thanks!

eta..having trouble finding that one, guess I could give them a call.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

In years past, their website isn’t the most up to date. Might try calling. Quality is same as others, design allowed for slightly longer run time. Not the end of the world to swap at 3 hrs. Just have to be diligent about doing it, otherwise, it dies right before you shoot...  as a side note, Trijicon battery indicators, are extremely inaccurate. You’ll go from 25% to dead . It’s more of a rough guideline.  NONE of the extended batteries will give you a reading of anything except 100%, right up until they die. No warning. Unless something has changed in last 8 months or so .  Never was a big deal, just get used to it
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In years past, their website isn't the most up to date. Might try calling. Quality is same as others, design allowed for slightly longer run time. Not the end of the world to swap at 3 hrs. Just have to be diligent about doing it, otherwise, it dies right before you shoot...  as a side note, Trijicon battery indicators, are extremely inaccurate. You'll go from 25% to dead . It's more of a rough guideline.  NONE of the extended batteries will give you a reading of anything except 100%, right up until they die. No warning. Unless something has changed in last 8 months or so .  Never was a big deal, just get used to it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In years past, their website isn't the most up to date. Might try calling. Quality is same as others, design allowed for slightly longer run time. Not the end of the world to swap at 3 hrs. Just have to be diligent about doing it, otherwise, it dies right before you shoot...  as a side note, Trijicon battery indicators, are extremely inaccurate. You'll go from 25% to dead . It's more of a rough guideline.  NONE of the extended batteries will give you a reading of anything except 100%, right up until they die. No warning. Unless something has changed in last 8 months or so .  Never was a big deal, just get used to it
Ok, will do, I appreciate the heads up!

I have noticed that with the batteries, kinda annoying when you use it for short periods lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Video when it happens please!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIo5JsagbA

Video when it happens please!!!

I definitely will.  The flip to side mount was ridiculously hard to find.  The poles made them for a few years in the late 50’s/early 60s.  I ended up tracking one down in Belgium that was still in cosmoline.  I wanted to get it up and running in factory configuration before messing with it.  It’s off being cut down/threaded now.  When I get it back I’ll flute the barrel and drill/tap for the scope mount and weld it in place.  I found a M240 can to go on it.  Should be a nice hog killer with a thermal scope on it
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 231
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top