Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 3:49:22 PM EDT
I like the high growth, low cost stocks like these that I can dividend reinvest. I read the other day that OXLC may continue to pay dividends by some moves on their preferred stock, but I want to diversify into some others.

What would be some recommendations on stocks like this?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OLC isn’t a stock, it’s a CEF (Closed End Fund):  a metal fundcthat trades like a stock.

And they invest primarily in junk bonds.

As such, I wouldn’t ever recommend investing in junk debt, but especially now as many companies are potentially going to run out of cash...with which to service their debt.

There are two reasons why it’s yield is what it is:

a.  Risk (high).
b.  It’s recent price drop (10.85-3.40).
View Quote

That's fine, I don't have that much invested, so if it goes all to hell, it won't that big of a deal.

I enjoy starting to play with this a little.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OLC isn't a stock, it's a CEF (Closed End Fund):  a metal fundcthat trades like a stock.

And they invest primarily in junk bonds.

As such, I wouldn't ever recommend investing in junk debt, but especially now as many companies are potentially going to run out of cash...with which to service their debt.

There are two reasons why it's yield is what it is:

a.  Risk (high).
b.  It's recent price drop (10.85-3.40).
View Quote

I don't discount any of that, however that doesn't answer his question.
That tells why you don't care for OXLC... And again, don't discount that.

I think he was wanting some tips on some possible stocks that are in the lower price range, say $5-35.00 a share and pay a dividend vs. $100-325.00 a share

My suggestion, which I need to do this myself is, get a list of the "Dividend Aristocrats" and look for some of the lower priced ones..

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think he was wanting some tips on some possible stocks that are in the lower price range, say $5-35.00 a share and pay a dividend vs. $100-325.00 a share

My suggestion, which I need to do this myself is, get a list of the "Dividend Aristocrats" and look for some of the lower priced ones..

View Quote

Thanks...You are exactly correct...

I don't follow this closely enough to do meticulous research, that's why I ask here...I like stuff under $5 that pays a small dividend that I can reinvest...Obviously, the risk factor is going to be higher, but just some general observations about these stocks would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
you may want to look into brokers that offer fractional shares.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct...They are all risky, we know that, but the exponential factor of a share that cost $3 bucks that pays .13 cents a month is mathematically better than a $75 share that pays .35 a quarter.

I own Boeing and it pays nothing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
PFLT, NMFC, NLY, all of these are way risky and may not be able to make their dividend payments. VTR, not as risky but not paying double digits.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
DNP has been a solid performer for me, aside from the recent drop.  I did manage to grab a bunch of shares down at $6.98.  

It is currently $11.39 as of this post and pays $0.065 per month.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at MMP or CTL
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Most energy and oil type stocks pay decent dividends.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have OXLC and up almost 10% in the past couple months.   I did get the dividend at the end of June.  
I’ll hold it till it does me no good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Dividend harvesting is a risky tactic. Don't let the price scare you away.

1 share @$100 paying 3% = 100 shares @$1 paying 3%.

Your are best just to look at the fundamentals and growth of of a stock that happens to pay a dividend. So if you happen to have a list of good, interesting stocks, let the % dividend be the tie breaker. I would not target a stock looking for high dividends.

That being said, do a little homework on AT&T (T) ~$30 paying about 7%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top