Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4188 of 5571)
Page / 5571
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I agree.. I think that there must have been a large push across and they blew the damn...how bad it hurt Ukraine and it's offensive plans are yet to be seen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By MKSheppard:
I'm circling back to this theory:

The Russians were filling the reservoir to overflowing -- they got to 17 metres (50+ ft) over the normal water levels; so that they would have a water weapon to use against any Ukrainian river crossing -- let a sizeable force cross the river and then open the floodgates and trap them there.

Only the problem is, to avoid water "topping" the dam, leading to total failure (see Oroville dam -- it didn't fail, but was pretty dangerous), you have to leave a sluice gate or two open to maintain equilibrium.

I think what happened; was that soviet era construction standards combined with Russian incompetence led to that sluice gate failing; followed by a rapid "unzipping" of the dam as a cascading failure occurred.

I suggested a long time ago that Ukraine would cross the Dnepro between Kherson and Nova Kharkovka.
The fact that the Russians closed the gates to retain water pretty clearly indicates they were aware of the possibility and used the dam to counter it.
At the same time this would be equally obvious to the Ukrainians, who would be closely watching water levels.
IMO the UA either feinted a crossing or were in the early stages of conducting a crossing and the Russians blew the dam.

I agree.. I think that there must have been a large push across and they blew the damn...how bad it hurt Ukraine and it's offensive plans are yet to be seen

Hopefully they had these game planned and have a Plan A, B, and C.

If the dam being blown wasn’t accounted for then that would be a huge problem,
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Infantry26:
I think it could have been either side, I'm sure the Ukrainians could figure out a way.  The only thing certain is that the US tax payers will be on the hook for a new dam.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
So I'm not totally willing to discount Ukraine blew the Dam. Although it was under Russian control... and I don't know how they could clandestinely put enough explosives on the structure with Russian forces noticing....

but would blowing the dam; emptying the reservoir and thus the river a few days after, enough that they could send their army across say a bunch shallower or tiny stream of river? Or does hitting the dam have not temporarily lower the level of the river?

Doesnt make sense tactically or strategically. The dam was already rigged to blow per reports from last year. The only way I could blame Ukraine is if they attempted some commando raid to disarm the demo and failed.
I think it could have been either side, I'm sure the Ukrainians could figure out a way.  The only thing certain is that the US tax payers will be on the hook for a new dam.

Meh, I'd rather us and Europe rebuild Ukraine than China, which is what will happen if we don't.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Is this the dam where the Ukrainians dropped the roadway last year, and the Russians just filled the space around the spillways with dirt?  Or am I thinking of another dam?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strykr:

The dam failed in at least 2 places. The middle section with a large gap, but there is also a missing chunk from the control room which was also sitting higher. Either way, it was destroyed intentionally since the overflow must have been disabled to reach the high levels of water before the dam broke.

Is this the dam where the Ukrainians dropped the roadway last year, and the Russians just filled the space around the spillways with dirt?  Or am I thinking of another dam?

Yes, the Russians claimed that Ukraine has shelled the dam but I have not seen evidence. It seems more likely that the Russians were planning to sabotage the dam for some time since they were in control of it.

https://news.yahoo.com/nova-kakhovka-dam-ukraine-russia-kherson-154829368.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What a cunt i an beyond done with Cucker Carlson.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I should prolly just stay in this thread I am gonna end up telling the RuskieBros what I really think of them eventually...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So I'm not totally willing to discount Ukraine blew the Dam. Although it was under Russian control... and I don't know how they could clandestinely put enough explosives on the structure with Russian forces noticing....

but would blowing the dam; emptying the reservoir and thus the river a few days after, enough that they could send their army across say a bunch shallower or tiny stream of river? Or does hitting the dam have not temporarily lower the level of the river?

View Quote

I tried to reason out scenarios where UA intentionally did it. My conclusion is there are none. If they did, it would be monumentally stupid. The damage it does to Ukraine is immense, ranging from flood water destruction to crippling water supplies to significant areas of the country. There seem to be concerns about how bad ramifications will be for agriculture. It probably takes a decade to recover from this. There is no temporary tactical advantage that remotely comes close to being worth it, IMO.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

I tried to reason out scenarios where UA intentionally did it. My conclusion is there are none. If they did, it would be monumentally stupid. The damage it does to Ukraine is immense, ranging from flood water destruction to crippling water supplies to significant areas of the country. There seem to be concerns about how bad ramifications will be for agriculture. It probably takes a decade to recover from this. There is no temporary tactical advantage that remotely comes close to being worth it, IMO.

View All Quotes

On the other hand, it is a solid tactical-level decision for Russia to slow the advance of the AFU and deny the river crossing towards Crimea. Literally drown the south push of the counter offensive in mud. So much so that the ISW has literally called this a probable move last year, and they also said Russia would deny being responsible.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

Still on the Russian payroll I see.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Cruise Missles!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Time for some atacms and more himars
Cruise Missles!

And we should lend them a submarine to launch them from.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

When you consider that all of freaking Europe needs to drastically increase their defense spending only to protect themselves from Russia, it's no surprise that a bunch of people want the Russian military bled down to nothing.
View Quote

That is the plan friend ...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#11]

View Quote

I'm with ya. The flooding mucks up the ground and even if you pretend that wasn't the case, the part of the river that is drained still has a meter or so deep mud, so still impassable for any vehicles. So no crossing with or without a river running there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
🌐 Place: #Nevelske
🗓 Date: 06.2023
🇺🇦 Unit: 59 OMBr
📌 Geolocation: 48.03789, 37.58497
📂 Description: Assault positions, from the first person. South of the village of Nevelske, Donetsk region.
❗️ Source

https://t.me/WarArchive_ua/1563

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By doc540:
PLEASE   STOP   QUOTING   THE   TROLL
View Quote

I'll buy everyone a drink who hasn't responded or quoted him/them in the next 20 pages.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:

I'll buy everyone a drink who hasn't responded or quoted him/them in the next 20 pages.
View Quote

I’ll take an ole fashioned, just don’t look at the thread he started about the dam.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I just wanted to flag that I have very expensive tastes...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So how long will it take to empty the lake and level out the river again?  And then the mud to dry?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I don't think I have quoted anybody in this thread for at least a month.

Since you are buying, I'll take a blue Margarita please.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Give them LRASM
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400_GIF-121.gif

I am pretty sure ATACMS has been unlocked.

Give them LRASM

At this point they should get Davy Crockett to fight the eco terrorists.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]

The Russians were filling the reservoir to overflowing -- they got to 17 metres (50+ ft) over the normal water levels; so that they would have a water weapon to use against any Ukrainian river crossing -- let a sizeable force cross the river and then open the floodgates and trap them there.

Only the problem is, to avoid water "topping" the dam, leading to total failure (see Oroville dam -- it didn't fail, but was pretty dangerous), you have to leave a sluice gate or two open to maintain equilibrium.

I think what happened; was that soviet era construction standards combined with Russian incompetence led to that sluice gate failing; followed by a rapid "unzipping" of the dam as a cascading failure occurred.
View Quote

On the surface, that is a very reasonable theory.  But as an engineer that built a business out of figuring out why things failed, I can tell you it is not supported by the images we are seeing.  The most obvious tell is the missing sections of the powerhouse, which would not have been impacted by a sluice gate failure.  

Your theory has far more substantiation that what passes for critical thinking outside of the boat.    
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#22]

View Quote
That is correct. Ukraine dropped the small bridge over the lock, and Russia filled it in with gravel. This section was all the way on the left bank, not particularly close to the main dam.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
What's your website? PM me if you don't want to post it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
Good Luck My brother, keep your head on a swivel and listen to the experienced guys. Let us know your ok once and awhile.

Of course you know I will.

As far as looking into where I am, if you don't hear from me,  my son's contact info is on my website. Those of you that bought Ukrainian stuff from me know where that is. Don't post that info here please. He will be taking over that email account as well.
What's your website? PM me if you don't want to post it.
Same
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Apologies to the good guys here. Stressful day saying good byes, listening to explosions in the city. Fuck orcs.

En route to the volunteer garrison for more goodbyes and to drop off some gear i don't need to them. Train leaves this afternoon. Can't believe they blew up the dam.
View Quote

Good luck and be careful.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Rye and Water please...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By B5Sluggo:

Rye and Water please...
View Quote
I'm gonna need grain alcohol after reading GD.

Holy fuck.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Lagavulin 16yo, a touch of spring water.

m
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

What about the earth shattering kaboom?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Obviously Russia
Ukraine war: Who stands to gain from blowing up Kakhovka dam? | DW News
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Yes! A few threads in GD where they are stroking each other off to the putin ball gargling douche!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#31]
The peak of water spillage from the Kakhov reservoir will be until tomorrow morning. In 3-4 days it will begin to subside, and within 10 days all the water will go into the Black Sea.

This was announced by the general director of Ukrhydroenergo.

Zelensky, commenting on the consequences of blowing up the dam at the Kakhovskaya HPP, said that there will be big problems with drinking water. We are also talking about non-flooded areas, in particular Dnipro and Zaporizhzhya. In general, the consequences will be clear about a week after the water recedes.

https://t.me/newspn/57886

18.30 ... New Kakhovka ... the water stopped rising
https://t.me/supernova_plus/20922

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't decide whether I should be disappointed in how many posters here I thought were intelligent, or relieved to know how wrong I was. It's disappointing, though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Very sad for me to see.   I used to like watching him, and agreed with his analysis more often than not.  Then came the war in Ukraine, and he lost his marbles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Free Drinks will be provided in Murrells Inlet, SC on August 24th or 25th.  Transportation not included...

Whatever you want, just don't mention or quote the troll.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm with ya. The flooding mucks up the ground and even if you pretend that wasn't the case, the part of the river that is drained still has a meter or so deep mud, so still impassable for any vehicles. So no crossing with or without a river running there.
View All Quotes

Yeah good point. I imagine mil vehicles would really dig into silt too. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a planner for a crossing and end up sending men into a newly formed marsh or something.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

Holy fuck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Originally Posted By B5Sluggo:

Rye and Water please...

Holy fuck.

Root beer or prune juice here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By general_cluster:

On the surface, that is a very reasonable theory.  But as an engineer that built a business out of figuring out why things failed, I can tell you it is not supported by the images we are seeing.  The most obvious tell is the missing sections of the powerhouse, which would not have been impacted by a sluice gate failure.  

Your theory has far more substantiation that what passes for critical thinking outside of the boat.    
View All Quotes

This is why I love this place.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#40]
Originally Posted By sq40:
So how long will it take to empty the lake and level out the river again?  And then the mud to dry?
View Quote

If I come across it again I'll post it but going off of memory UA said something like 5 3-4 days for the lake to empty and 10 days for the flooding to subside.
No clue on the mud.

ETA: Beat. See Prime's post above.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I suggested a long time ago that Ukraine would cross the Dnepro between Kherson and Nova Kharkovka.
The fact that the Russians closed the gates to retain water pretty clearly indicates they were aware of the possibility and used the dam to counter it.
At the same time this would be equally obvious to the Ukrainians, who would be closely watching water levels.
IMO the UA either feinted a crossing or were in the early stages of conducting a crossing and the Russians blew the dam.

Given that Ukraine would have to be monitoring the dam and the water level as a part of their planning, I doubt they were surprised or that they were counting on crossing the Dnepro as their primary/only plan.  Particularly when it’s been pointed out that Ukraine knew the dam was mined in October of 2022.
Maybe the Ukrainians staged a commando raid to take the dam which failed and the Russians blew it.  Who knows.
Crossing the Dnepro might’ve been their dream/best case plan and it still might happen, but probably not until fall or even winter.
The Russians may have bought themselves some short term relief but they probably made more significant problems for themselves by granting the west a free escalation card.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#42]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I think the Russians just fucked up like they usually do. I think they intended to blow up part of the dam and create flooding downstream. But I don't think they intended to completely wipe out the dam. The stupid fuckers likely used 100x more explosives than necessary out of ignorance, and in doing so, probably drown hundreds or thousands of their own troops. You can never underestimate just how fucking stupid the average Russian is. They are the dumbest motherfuckers on earth.
View Quote

A controlled flood could be achieved just by opening the sluice gate. No need for explosives.

And once you blow a little hole in a dam, that hole gets bigger very quickly. Plus it's wasn't a little hole, it was a power plant building sized hole ..
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

Doesnt make sense tactically or strategically. The dam was already rigged to blow per reports from last year. The only way I could blame Ukraine is if they attempted some commando raid to disarm the demo and failed.

Actually Europe has been making the pledges to rebuild Ukraine,
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

I made it about 15 seconds and had to stop watching.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

As well has the frozen bank holdings of Russia in several countries. Billions.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#47]

View All Quotes

Yep. Just cleared out several more Twitter followings of folks promoting this Episode 1 that starts right in on the dam and Ukes done it diatribe. Tucker has zero facts on this subject but sure puts in the time to rant about the corrupt Ukes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Dunno man he's been right about everything so far, still wondering the apocalyptic wasteland that was America since the diesel ran out last November and everything shut down.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I saw a sat photo in one of the twitter links this morning dated the 5th.  The curved section of road and 3 or 4 gates were missing, power house was not damaged.  I'll look for it again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

The river level got to 17 meters above sea level (almost 17.5 ASL I think), not 17 higher than normal. If the charts are accurate it fluctuates between 15.5 and 16.5 meters ASL.
Page / 5571
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4188 of 5571)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top