Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 31
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I received mine today, having never touched an MP5 before this is all new to me.

The safety selector is so tight I can’t actuate it with my thumb, I’ll be buying a Magpul version this week, I also don’t like the trigger housing and the slim handguard but I already have a navy style housing and wide handguard on the way.

Now I have to decide if I’m going to use a brace or file a form 1, it’s pretty much useless in its current format.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
So, I can basically get an MP5 for $1100 (core), and then another $200 or less parts to make it an SBR?

I really do need to do this...I already have a 9mm can... And 10 acres to shoot on out back.

All I'm missing is a receding hairline.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got a Sig Romeo 5 on mine and think it's perfect.
View Quote

Noted - Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks to me like the one MKE includes with the gun if you get the full package version that comes with the mount, flashider, extra mags, and cleaning kit.

For something like that mount or similar height, a micro red dot like he has there in a standard "low" mount will give you a sight picture where just the top 1/3 or so of the front sight hood is in the lower 1/3 of the optic window, so you're seeing over the irons.  Some companies make ultra low rail or direct mounts that allow you to fully cowitness with the irons, but IMO these kinda suck due to how busy the irons are on the MP5, it just looks too distracting to me.
View Quote

Thank you as well. I haven't had any guns with hk style sights.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like the one that comes with the gun.

I tried a few red dots, a PRO, sparcAR, an MRO, and even a few prisms, but none really clicked. The irons work great up close.  I'd like to try an RMR or equivalent
View Quote

My eyes just aren't what they were. I'm a recent RMR convert for my glocks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I received mine today, having never touched an MP5 before this is all new to me.

The safety selector is so tight I can’t actuate it with my thumb, I’ll be buying a Magpul version this week, I also don’t like the trigger housing and the slim handguard but I already have a navy style housing and wide handguard on the way.

Now I have to decide if I’m going to use a brace or file a form 1, it’s pretty much useless in its current format.
View Quote

Somewhat concerning, but I hope that eases up in time, like charging handles, triggers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Somewhat concerning, but I hope that eases up in time, like charging handles, triggers, etc.
View Quote

It will, but it's still a reach. Get the magpul ESK
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The selector is tight out of the box, but the best remedy is to use it. The detent will start to wear a track in the plastic and become easier to move over time.

If it's still too tight, take it off and bend the tab the detent is on a bit. Or get the Magpul selector, it's much smoother.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It will, but it's still a reach. Get the magpul ESK
View Quote

More stuff! I'm starting to hope she doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. You need one.  Or two.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
MAGPUL might be releasing this year their collapsable SL stock for the MP5.

They said 2022 but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up my AP5 Core, or whatever it’s called, on Thursday. Ordered from ATL. It looks and feels every bit as good as the one is I shot the piz out of in the BP. It looks a lot cleaner and better built than any of the several Coharie jam o matics I’ve owned. I still need to shoot it…
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]
$1,100?  What the hell?  I looked a year or so ago and MKE's were $2k.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
It would be interesting if the major manufacturers like Ruger, S&W, etc would start to make MP5 clones. They already make AR's, might as well dip their feet in the MP5 world.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It would be interesting if the major manufacturers like Ruger, S&W, etc would start to make MP5 clones. They already make AR's, might as well dip their feet in the MP5 world.
View Quote

All else being equal. The pcc intended role was before 300 blk and using urban rifle (ie Clint smith). Between 1970 and 1990 (ish). After that, the use was diminished by carbine and shorter lengths of 5.56.

I still think it'll be fun and much more economical to shoot. You find that lpk?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$1,100?  What the hell?  I looked a year or so ago and MKE's were $2k.
View Quote

Turkey's dollar is collapsing
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks to me like the one MKE includes with the gun if you get the full package version that comes with the mount, flashider, extra mags, and cleaning kit.

For something like that mount or similar height, a micro red dot like he has there in a standard "low" mount will give you a sight picture where just the top 1/3 or so of the front sight hood is in the lower 1/3 of the optic window, so you're seeing over the irons.  Some companies make ultra low rail or direct mounts that allow you to fully cowitness with the irons, but IMO these kinda suck due to how busy the irons are on the MP5, it just looks too distracting to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone identify the claw mount @1:47 ??

All the above.  I mounted a 509t on an American Defense low qd mount and the front sight hood is barely visible. Super lightweight and I really like the choice of 3 reticles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I dig the 509T, have the same "lower 1/3" ADM mount setup on the MI rail on mine.

The "low" style mounts can get it in full cowitness if so desired - infolink
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
MAGPUL might be releasing this year their collapsable SL stock for the MP5.

They said 2022 but I'm not going to hold my breath.
View Quote

Been watching and watching... It was supposed to be out like soon.. q3 soon.. so next month ???..
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just picked up my AP5 Core, or whatever it’s called, on Thursday. Ordered from ATL. It looks and feels every bit as good as the one is I shot the piz out of in the BP. It looks a lot cleaner and better built than any of the several Coharie jam o matics I’ve owned. I still need to shoot it…
View Quote

Bet ya pmag it fires beautifully and you become an MKE convert!!! okay i cant beat. my state will arrest me if i sell/transfer/obtain any kind of standard cap... but you get my point :)
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Turkey's dollar is collapsing
View Quote

More like Century's is!~ LOL.. these started out at like 2499 like HK price.. what where they thinkin??? and no one bought.. so 1900.. and no one bought.. so 1600 and no one bought.. and 200$ rebate.. and finally people started buying...

I'm guessing they have a warehouse full of tens/hundreds of thousands of these and they weren't moving at their high prices.. but bringing it down closer to 1k core.. or 1400 with accessories... Is far far more attractive to people.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where can I acquire that shoulder rig? I need one.
View Quote

Don't know about the leather, but eagle used to make nylon ones, but discontinued them several years ago.  Mine is an airsoft clone, but those discontined years ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Apologies if this has already been asked, but the barrel looks threaded? Is it the (I think standard) 1/2" 28 fine thread for most 9mm cans, or something funky euro/metric?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Apologies if this has already been asked, but the barrel looks threaded? Is it the (I think standard) 1/2" 28 fine thread for most 9mm cans, or something funky euro/metric?
View Quote

It’s 1/2x28
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't know about the leather, but eagle used to make nylon ones, but discontinued them several years ago.  Mine is an airsoft clone, but those discontined years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where can I acquire that shoulder rig? I need one.

Leather rig is from M&L
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Literally not a single thing you said was correct. We are all stupider for having read this. Congrats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a real HK.  Many of the clone are either cosmetically deficient or mechanically not competent.

The POF guns especially have issues.

Literally not a single thing you said was correct. We are all stupider for having read this. Congrats.

Literally one of the Best replies in the history of GD ..!

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Literally one of the Best replies in the history of GD ..!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1600x1200q90/923/FUupm4.jpg
View Quote

Is there a reasonable place to get SF handguards, and can those heads be replaced with a more modern solution?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I went ahead and bought the AP5-P to go with my AP5 that hasn't even shipped yet. I am going to have to work some overtime this week.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is there a reasonable place to get SF handguards, and can those heads be replaced with a more modern solution?
View Quote

They're often found here on EE and also on the HKPro forum/Marketplace.  The old fat torch heads are definitely replaceable with modern factory LED units that have thinner heads and higher lumen output.  I actually have one scheduled for delivery, today.

FYI....:
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/surefire-628%E2%80%99s.537714/
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you find one, let me know

The B&T integrated handguard isn't half bad, not as nice as a surefire though
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went ahead and bought the AP5-P to go with my AP5 that hasn't even shipped yet. I am going to have to work some overtime this week.
View Quote

Exactly what I did.. cept I cant g4et overtime.. Just have to pay off creditcard slowly!

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They're often found here on EE and also on the HKPro forum/Marketplace.  The old fat torch heads are definitely replaceable with modern factory LED units that have thinner heads and higher lumen output.  I actually have one scheduled for delivery, today.

FYI....:
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/surefire-628%E2%80%99s.537714/
View Quote

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I replaced the old Surefire bulb with a Malkoff led unit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#35]
bought a ap5-p in March. I absolutely love it. Also got started on a YHM R9 to go on the end of it. Hoping to get the stamp approved within ~60 days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
bought a ap5-p in March. I absolutely love it. Also got started on a YHM R9 to go on the end of it. Hoping to get the stamp approved within ~60 days.
View Quote

@NapTown

When did you start your paperwork on your R9?

Mine was submitted in process on the 29th of July
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the difference in the MKE and a "Navy" housing?  I usually want metal over anything plastic.  Anyone make a metal housing that will work with these?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What's the difference in the MKE and a "Navy" housing?  I usually want metal over anything plastic.  Anyone make a metal housing that will work with these?
View Quote
The MKE comes with a "contoured" trigger housing.  It's an older plastic style that has ribbing mike lines on the body and molded finder grooves/rests:

A newer revision would be the ambidexterous design with the same SEF markings.  You can usually swap to one of these easy on the MKE:

A true "Navy" housing technically is like the above and also added pictogram selector markings over the SEF markings.  These are usually also setup for an ambidextrous safety on both sides and would need a different trigger cage to use.

The metal housings are the styled similar to the G3, it uses a separate pistol grip part.  These were never used on true HK MP5s, they were a product of their old commercial market HK93 import models back in the day.  POF clones still come with these IIRC.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#39]
ETA: D man covered it.

I shot my AP5 today, I’ve seen a break in of a few hundred rounds of 124gr NATO highly recommended, but mine had no problem with WWB so far.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The MKE comes with a "contoured" trigger housing.  It's an older plastic style that has ribbing mike lines on the body and molded finder grooves/rests:

https://hkparts.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/hk-sef-contoured-grip-frame-used-surplus-1.jpg

A newer revision would be the ambidexterous design with the same SEF markings.  You can usually swap to one of these easy on the MKE:

https://hkparts.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/hk-sef-navy-style-polymer-housing-push-pin-3.jpg

A true "Navy" housing technically is like the above and also added pictogram selector markings over the SEF markings.  These are usually also setup for an ambidextrous safety on both sides and would need a different trigger cage to use.

The metal housings are the styled similar to the G3, it uses a separate pistol grip part.  These were never used on true HK MP5s, they were a product of their old commercial market HK93 import models back in the day.  POF clones still come with these IIRC.

https://hkparts.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/94-93-semi-grip-frame-sef-metal-hk-german-1.jpg

View Quote

Found a video of swapping a SEF poly housing to replace the POF housing, so it appears most people want plastic instead of metal.    I guess maybe I'm just old, but wouldn't a metal housing be preferred to plastic on this thing?  Is there a benefit to using plastic, other than possibly a very minor weight savings?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Found a video of swapping a SEF poly housing to replace the POF housing, so it appears most people want plastic instead of metal.    I guess maybe I'm just old, but wouldn't a metal housing be preferred to plastic on this thing?  Is there a benefit to using plastic, other than possibly a very minor weight savings?
View Quote
The original first gen from the 60's of the real HK MP5 used the plastic housing, the contoured one with finger grooves.  The metal one was part of the HK94 imports as one of several changes from a standard MP5 design that made it harder to covert to full-auto.  These have a different geometry if they're legit HK94 pattern and wouldn't work with the MKE (nor front pin for example).  Most of the people fitting these MKE clones with metal housings are probably taking original G3 housings and modifying them, which can be done.

That said, all of the plastic housings have molded-in metal reinforcements at the mounting points and there's really no a lot of stress on it when firing, that's all up in the main receiver.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you!!
View Quote

@Marksman14

another listing...

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/lots-of-mp5-items-mp5sd-surefire-b-t.551087/#post-3983069
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The original first gen from the 60's of the real HK MP5 used the plastic housing, the contoured one with finger grooves.  The metal one was part of the HK94 imports as one of several changes from a standard MP5 design that made it harder to covert to full-auto.  These have a different geometry if they're legit HK94 pattern and wouldn't work with the MKE (nor front pin for example).  Most of the people fitting these MKE clones with metal housings are probably taking original G3 housings and modifying them, which can be done.

That said, all of the plastic housings have molded-in metal reinforcements at the mounting points and there's really no a lot of stress on it when firing, that's all up in the main receiver.
View Quote

Thank you for that explanation! I didn’t realize the plastic housing had always been that way.

My only experience with roller locked was an old cetme century build I had 20 years ago complete with canted sights and a ground bolt lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I own an SBR'd MKE full size with an A2 stock.  I got it back when ATI was importing them.  It runs pretty well. The only issue I have had with it is that it won't run with straight magazines.

I also own an H&K SP5 and an H&K HK91.  There is no comparison between H&K and MKE and in terms of fit and finish.  And my SP5K runs like a raped ape with straight mags.

If you can't afford an H&K and want to buy a copy, then by all means get an MKE.  It is what it is.  But what it isn't is "just as good."
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find the geometry of the Navy lower to make it easier to operate the safety.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I own an SBR'd MKE full size with an A2 stock.  I got it back when ATI was importing them.  It runs pretty well. The only issue I have had with it is that it won't run with straight magazines.

I also own an H&K SP5 and an H&K HK91.  There is no comparison between H&K and MKE and in terms of fit and finish.  And my SP5K runs like a raped ape with straight mags.

If you can't afford an H&K and want to buy a copy, then by all means get an MKE.  It is what it is.  But what it isn't is "just as good."
View Quote

I cant see any difference in fit and finish between my MKE and the 94 I used to have other than the HK was a bit shiny. Definitely better than the MP5K PDW we had at our shop.  Our 53 didn't even look as good. Welds looked like a middle schooler did them in shop class. Besides this is a $1500 platform at best.  No where worth over 2k no matter who makes it.

Still miss my old 94 though. Well ok maybe I would pay 2k for one right now,  but mainly because of the name and nostalgia lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I cant see any difference in fit and finish between my MKE and the 94 I used to have other than the HK was a bit shiny. Definitely better than the MP5K PDW we had at our shop.  Our 53 didn't even look as good. Welds looked like a middle schooler did them in shop class. Besides this is a $1500 platform at best.  No where worth over 2k no matter who makes it.

Still miss my old 94 though. Mainly because of the name lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still miss my old 94 though. Mainly because of the name lol

A bunch of people upset the MKE riff raff will be joining their forums.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Were the ATI versions Pakistani Ordnance Factory or MKE manufactured?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:07:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Mine arrives on Thursday. The MP5 is probably my grail gun, so the turk clone will be just as gud.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mine arrives on Thursday. The MP5 is probably my grail gun, so the turk clone will be just as gud.
View Quote

You're gonna love it.. and your wallet is gonna love you.  Report back.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top