Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 9:57:41 PM EDT
Need some input on looking for a new OBD scan tool.  Currently have a basic wifi obd2 module that I hook up to my phone to run codes but it doesn't offer much in the way of looking at specific data.

Not a mechanic by trade but have been doing more and more work and that will increase in the near future.  Not necessarily looking for bi-directional support but advanced diagnostics.

Budget is around $700 at the moment.

Have looked at the Autel MK808 which will do what I need for the job I am on currently but as I am not an expert in the market don't know what else I should be looking at.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a Toyota and you’d like to do transmission maintenance, get a ScanGauge II. It will display temps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a Toyota and you’d like to do transmission maintenance, get a ScanGauge II. It will display temps.
View Quote

The scan gauge is a little basic for what I am looking for.  

Current fleet is:
14 Durango
16 Duramax
98 Sierra 3500
98 Silverado 1500
00 Sierra 1500

However, I am getting a dealers license to be able to buy/sell more than I am now.  That means I'm going to need some better diagnostic tools.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
OBD Link MX+

Then just use their software, or find something else you like.  I use AlfaOBD for our WK2 Jeeps.  I can do all sorts of dealer-level programming and troubleshooting with it.  Including tire size changes, which the dealer said they couldn't do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I currently have a blue driver and it works great but I want to disable the afm in my 08 sierra. will this scan tool allow me to do that?
View Quote

You will need a tuner to turn off a AFM. Technically you are bypassing the emissions system.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OBD Link MX+

Then just use their software, or find something else you like.  I use AlfaOBD for our WK2 Jeeps.  I can do all sorts of dealer-level programming and troubleshooting with it.  Including tire size changes, which the dealer said they couldn't do.
View Quote

Interesting, hadn't seen that one before.

A lot of the PIDs are things I can track with my scanner now but they don't show a couple that I need on their software.  None of the software mentions GM but I'm gonna look into it more to see.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I currently have a blue driver and it works great but I want to disable the afm in my 08 sierra. will this scan tool allow me to do that?
View Quote
@striker

I just got done unsticking a lifter and disabling the afm on my dad's 08 Sierra. I sent his PCM to this guy. He only charged $50 and that includes return shipping. I had a collapsed lifter so the VLOM had to come off. I blocked off the oil passage with a plug from Crazed Performance. His truck is running great. I'm curious to see what happens to his fuel economy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We have an Autel MT906 and a CV model for the heavier trucks. It may be over your price point. The 906 does a lot with a huge array of models. I think we paid about $1400 ( wholesale) 2 years ago. We just renewed the subscription for $550 a year. It can handle quite of programming. It won't do mercedes sprinter van stuff but it appears to work on most everything else. We're happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOL..I used his site to get all the parts I need to remove it completely..
Just have to wait for warmer weather to get at it.
If the dealership won't disable it I will send my ecm to him.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@striker

I just got done unsticking a lifter and disabling the afm on my dad's 08 Sierra. I sent his PCM to this guy. He only charged $50 and that includes return shipping. I had a collapsed lifter so the VLOM had to come off. I blocked off the oil passage with a plug from Crazed Performance. His truck is running great. I'm curious to see what happens to his fuel economy.
LOL..I used his site to get all the parts I need to remove it completely..
Just have to wait for warmer weather to get at it.
If the dealership won't disable it I will send my ecm to him.

Dealership can't deactivate it. I used to work at a Cadillac dealer. I still have an MDI and access to their software. Factory tools only do factory things. We used to be able to call tech-line and have them make changes to the programming. Like changing the gear ratio. They would change it in the system so the next time a tech with licensed software programed the PCM it would be correct. They stopped letting us do that quite some time ago.

Aftermarket tuner tools are basically hacking your PCM. A lot of the commercial, user friendly ones charge per VIN, something like $100. Then you can play around with that one VIN. If you take it to the dealership, they're going to stick the factory tune back in. There are cheaper ones available now that are purpose driven but I haven't looked into them at all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
okay tks. Off to the stealership I go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will need a tuner to turn off a AFM. Technically you are bypassing the emissions system.
okay tks. Off to the stealership I go.

You can’t do it with a Tech 2 (GM scan tool) see if you buy a tuner.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have an Autel MT906 and a CV model for the heavier trucks. It may be over your price point. The 906 does a lot with a huge array of models. I think we paid about $1400 ( wholesale) 2 years ago. We just renewed the subscription for $550 a year. It can handle quite of programming. It won't do mercedes sprinter van stuff but it appears to work on most everything else. We're happy with it.
View Quote

Actually ended up with an Autel MK808BT.  Was looking at some of the higher end models but it seems like the 808 will do everything that I would need.  

Came in today and should have a chance to try it out tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me know how you like it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Current fleet is:
14 Durango
16 Duramax
98 Sierra 3500
98 Silverado 1500
00 Sierra 1500

However, I am getting a dealers license to be able to buy/sell more than I am now.  That means I'm going to need some better diagnostic tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have a Toyota and you'd like to do transmission maintenance, get a ScanGauge II. It will display temps.

Current fleet is:
14 Durango
16 Duramax
98 Sierra 3500
98 Silverado 1500
00 Sierra 1500

This is the one I bought. Very good tool for my needs. Only thing I kind of wished I sprung for one with bidirectional control, not that I have need that option so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKZJ86W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the one I bought. Very good tool for my needs. Only thing I kind of wished I sprung for one with bidirectional control, not that I have need that option so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKZJ86W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

Thats the one that I ended up getting except I got the bluetooth model.  Bidirectional was about $300 more and didn't want to spring for it at the moment as I don't think i'll need it.  I may regret that but I can always upgrade.

So far I like it.  Had to check base timing on a 4.3l V6 and this made that a quick and easy fix.  Paid for itself on that one too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
@gloftoe

You don't need to relearn the tb. The computer will correct itself after a while.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't have an aftermarket tune..it's stock. I just want the #@^*$ afm turned off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealership can't deactivate it. I used to work at a Cadillac dealer. I still have an MDI and access to their software. Factory tools only do factory things. We used to be able to call tech-line and have them make changes to the programming. Like changing the gear ratio. They would change it in the system so the next time a tech with licensed software programed the PCM it would be correct. They stopped letting us do that quite some time ago.

Aftermarket tuner tools are basically hacking your PCM. A lot of the commercial, user friendly ones charge per VIN, something like $100. Then you can play around with that one VIN. If you take it to the dealership, they're going to stick the factory tune back in. There are cheaper ones available now that are purpose driven but I haven't looked into them at all.
I don't have an aftermarket tune..it's stock. I just want the #@^*$ afm turned off.

You need to get an aftermarket tuner to turn off the AFM. There are kits too, but the tuner is a lot easier.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats the one that I ended up getting except I got the bluetooth model.  Bidirectional was about $300 more and didn't want to spring for it at the moment as I don't think i'll need it.  I may regret that but I can always upgrade.

So far I like it.  Had to check base timing on a 4.3l V6 and this made that a quick and easy fix.  Paid for itself on that one too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a big difference in update prices between the 808 and say, the 906. 808 is reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is a big difference in update prices between the 808 and say, the 906. 808 is reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a new MX808K that is bidirectional on my cars. They are corded not blue tooth and are like $799 on Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top