Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/26/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
UK Defense source says Russia used underwater drones in the attack.  
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russia-probably-bombed-nord-stream-pipeline-with-underwater-drone-says-defence-source-wkkcgshzv

4th leak reported.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/4th-leak-reported-on-nord-stream-pipelines-in-baltic-sea/ar-AA12npDb?cvid=2f9c5c4c85164b5294f18d9a990f793e

The now defunct Russian-owned Nord Stream 2 suffered a gas leak and it has now been followed by a drop of pressure on Nord Stream 1, with German officials reportedly believing that the pipelines have been attacked.  
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-nord-stream-2-pipeline-28088792

Authorities in Germany are trying to establish what caused a sudden drop in pressure in the defunct Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, with a spokesperson for its operator saying it could have been a leak.
The pipeline has been one of the flashpoints in an escalating energy war between Europe and Moscow since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February that has pummelled western economies and sent gas prices soaring.
Nord Stream 2's operator said pressure in the undersea pipeline dropped from 105 to 7 bar overnight.  
The Russian-owned pipeline, which was intended to double the volume of gas flowing from Vyborg, Russia, under the Baltic Sea to Germany, had just been completed and filled with 300m cubic metres of gas when the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, cancelled it shortly before Russia invaded Ukraine.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/26/nord-stream-2-pipeline-pressure-collapses-mysteriously-overnight

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Any chance they just turned it off and then say it was sabotage?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Russia has been known to manipulate undersea cables with their submarines. It wouldn’t surprise me if they scuttled a pipeline.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, there you go.

Anyone wanting to gain knowledge on the global energy environment we are currently living in should search out “Doomberg” and give him a listen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Should’ve never put all of their eggs in Putin’s basket
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Shame no one tried to warn them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole pipeline, all 700 miles and 45 inches in diameter of it, drained from 105 bar to 7 bar? Overnight?!

That's a helluva leak.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Russia has been known to manipulate undersea cables with their submarines. It wouldn’t surprise me if they scuttled a pipeline.
View Quote

Russia doing that would serve them no purpose.

If they didn’t want to send material through all they have to do is say “no” and they get their way AND have a bargaining tool.  

Damaging the pipe only removes their bargaining power.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If they didn’t want to send material through all they have to do is say “no” and they get their way AND have a bargaining tool.  

View Quote

Russia's making plenty of bank on selling discount oil to the Chinese, India, even the Saudi's are buying it and selling it to other countries.

Green Europe is not a cash cow for petroleum a lot of people are trying to make them out to be.   Besides, they were warned.  They can freeze.

There's even a German word for that:  schadenfreude
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Claiming the pipe is "damaged" allows them to restrict flow to prevent Germany & Europe from filling stockpiles to draw against come winter.

Gee Guys - we'd LOVE to send you more gas to stockpile, but the danged pipeline has a leak somewhere ...  Sorry!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any chance they just turned it off and then say it was sabotage?
View Quote
William Shatner Commercial Outtakes
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Russia's making plenty of bank on selling discount oil to the Chinese, India, even the Saudi's are buying it and selling it to other countries.

Green Europe is not a cash cow for petroleum a lot of people are trying to make them out to be.   Besides, they were warned.  They can freeze.

View Quote

Making bank on oil sales while the rest of their economy implodes and all the young and educated males flee the country.

Russia is utterly fucked long term and only has themselves to blame.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Claiming the pipe is "damaged" allows them to restrict flow to prevent Germany & Europe from filling stockpiles to draw against come winter.

Gee Guys - we'd LOVE to send you more gas to stockpile, but the danged pipeline has a leak somewhere ...  Sorry!

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

This pipeline was not in use, and Russia halted sales to Europe overall weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Were they not warned by someone 4 years ago?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought Nordstream 2 was never fully completed?
ETA completed in Sept 21 but never entered service
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]
anyone in Europe who thinks they are getting a drop of energy from Russia this winter are the biggest fools in a sea of fools.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The now defunct Russian-owned Nord Stream 2 suffered a gas leak and it has now been followed by a drop of pressure on Nord Stream 1, with German officials reportedly believing that the pipelines have been attacked.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-nord-stream-2-pipeline-28088792

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like WE shouldn’t have put all our eggs in China’s basket

Bunch of dumb F politicians…all over the place!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Making bank on oil sales while the rest of their economy implodes and all the young and educated males flee the country.

Russia is utterly fucked long term and only has themselves to blame.
View Quote

These aren't the sand people, they actually have a functioning oil economy, so much so, Europe's going bananas because they threw their lot in with Putin.  Member?  Chancellor Merkel was a STASI agent, aka the East German KGB.

Russia has a ton of people.  European "countries" are like American states.  View this as Mississippi begging for the world's money while the rest of the US goes after them.  Without their welfare handouts, Ukraine its corrupt government would be sunk.

Then realize, that even after all these billions of dollars, military support, the Ukrainians are barely hanging on.  Without our tax money or weapons we're giving them (while ignoring China),  Zelisnksy would be hopping trains to Switzerland with suitcases of Biden Bucks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I told you guys way back in the earlier pages of the Ukraine invasion thread that the NORD 2 was being used.  It's just that Germany has been calling it certification testing to get around the EU ban.

I don't think 7 bar poses a big issue, but if it drops lower, sea water could leak in and damage the pipe.  So I believe this is the russians cutting off Germany's under the table gas supply with just enough pressure to prevent pressure from the ocean to damage the pipeline.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
What is the fine print on the insurance policy and loan covenants?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
... Except for the fact that Germany already said "no thanks" to Nord Stream 2 right before the Russian invasion of Ukraine ... so NO gas has been flowing through it to Germany.
View Quote

You are 100% Correct Sir!!  

Nord Stream 2 was completed but not used to pump natural gas to Germany because of the Ukraine Invasion (Oops!! - "Special Russian Military Operation to De-Nazi-fy Ukraine" )    

But if the Russians claimed that the new pipe were "damaged" then the Russians could try to use that as an excuse to NOT pump in extra natural gas now for the Europeans to try to stockpile now in Europe - before "Winter Comes".  

If there is a time for maximum leverage, The Depths of Winter, is when I'd expect the Russians to try for maximum disruption in cutting the Natural Gas supply in Europe - Especially as the Ukrainians push back the Russians with the assistance of Modern NATO weapons.  

My Advice to Europeans? Now would be the Time to be stocking up on extra sweaters, mittens & sleeping bags and to chop & dry some firewood pronto...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
They even have photos of the attack!!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a man out there with tons of oil industry experience who can solve this problem:

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they do it because they are bribed by a foreign country they aren't stupid, they're traitors. Stupid is thinking that it was a mistake while knowing they were and still are in china's pocket.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's definitely leaking.  Danish F16s overflew the area (near the Danish island of Bornholm) and reportedly saw "bubbling" on the surface.
View Quote

So if you dropped some flares in the plume, what would happen
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quick, send money to fix it...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]
This is terrible for Europe, we should send Ukraine a few more billion dollars.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
The Russians were credibly accused of attacking an underwater telecom cable that ran to Svalbard earlier this year I think...maybe late last year.

Even though the dedicated minisub losharik (their version of NR-1) caught fire and burned badly in 2019 they seem to still have the ability to attack underwater infrastructure.

I know very little about sub sea pipelines but I would think it's not something you can just use explosives on and hope to maintain any predictable pressure.    If they did attack it they probably had to work at it.

I don't understand though, why attack a supposedly unused pipeline that they can just turn off?

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Russians were credibly accused of attacking an underwater telecom cable that ran to Svalbard earlier this year I think...maybe late last year.

Even though the dedicated minisub losharik (their version of NR-1) caught fire and burned badly in 2019 they seem to still have the ability to attack underwater infrastructure.

I know very little about sub sea pipelines but I would think it's not something you can just use explosives on and hope to maintain any predictable pressure.    If they did attack it they probably had to work at it.

I don't understand though, why attack a supposedly unused pipeline that they can just turn off?

View Quote

I don’t see why it would have to be the Russians who sabotaged it. In fact, there are many others who gain from this. Cui bono?

-Ukraine. Cutting potential Russian revenue sources would be job #1.
- US - reduce options for Eur dependency on Rus.
- Any oil producing Eur country, or Eur country wanting to steer a non-Russian energy dependency path.
- Any major non-Russian oil producer.
- Many I am not even thinking of.

I personally wanted to sabotage the pipeline back in March as a preventative (being anti-Putin).  It’s narrow to think it’s a Russian job.  It’s also entirely possible it’s an accident.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I find this a bit…perplexing.

Doesn’t make sense for Russia to attack their own pipeline; they can just shut it off (which it sounds like they had more or less done anyway?). Destroying it only takes both leverage and potential much-needed revenue away from them.

A genuine accident / unforeseen consequence of shutting it down (or whatever) would seem to be a possibility, but the Germans seem pretty confident it was an intentional attack.

And other actors with something to gain (Ukraine, OPEC nations, USA) probably either don’t have the undersea capability to sabotage the line, or are strong enough European allies to probably not want to do this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I told you guys way back in the earlier pages of the Ukraine invasion thread that the NORD 2 was being used.  It's just that Germany has been calling it certification testing to get around the EU ban.

I don't think 7 bar poses a big issue, but if it drops lower, sea water could leak in and damage the pipe.  So I believe this is the russians cutting off Germany's under the table gas supply with just enough pressure to prevent pressure from the ocean to damage the pipeline.

View Quote
7 Bar is 101 PSI (7x14.5) , how deep is the pipeline?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#38]
It's happening!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I find this a bit…perplexing.

Doesn’t make sense for Russia to attack their own pipeline; they can just shut it off (which it sounds like they had more or less done anyway?). Destroying it only takes both leverage and potential much-needed revenue away from them.

A genuine accident / unforeseen consequence of shutting it down (or whatever) would seem to be a possibility, but the Germans seem pretty confident it was an intentional attack.

And other actors with something to gain (Ukraine, OPEC nations, USA) probably either don’t have the undersea capability to sabotage the line, or are strong enough European allies to probably not want to do this.
View Quote

And that’s the really perplexing thing.  Those who might do it, can’t. Those which can do it, wouldn’t.  Very, very weird.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's definitely leaking.  Danish F16s overflew the area (near the Danish island of Bornholm) and reportedly saw "bubbling" on the surface.
View Quote

Pretty sure I couldn't resist a fly-by flair drop on that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This pipeline was not in use, and Russia halted sales to Europe overall weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

Yes, facts are hard for some folks
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are the Russians also bubbling gas up from the sea floor to make it look like a leak?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Are the Russians also bubbling gas up from the sea floor to make it look like a leak?
View Quote

Pretty sure it's safe to say Russians don't float, otherwise the Kursk wouldn't have been such an issue...
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europe being green forces the Europeans to buy Russian gas.

The leak definitely harms Russia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Damage reported in three strings of the Nord Stream pipelines.

Nord Stream AG said it was impossible to estimate when the gas network system's working capability would be restored.
"The destruction that occurred on the same day simultaneously on three strings of the offshore gas pipelines of the Nord Stream system is unprecedented. It is not yet possible to estimate the timing of the restoration of the gas transport infrastructure," it said in comments to reporters.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-nord-stream-operator-says-083712944.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t see why it would have to be the Russians who sabotaged it. In fact, there are many others who gain from this. Cui bono?

-Ukraine. Cutting potential Russian revenue sources would be job #1.
- US - reduce options for Eur dependency on Rus.
- Any oil producing Eur country, or Eur country wanting to steer a non-Russian energy dependency path.
- Any major non-Russian oil producer.
- Many I am not even thinking of.

I personally wanted to sabotage the pipeline back in March as a preventative (being anti-Putin).  It’s narrow to think it’s a Russian job.  It’s also entirely possible it’s an accident.
View Quote

A number of underwater pipelines & undersea communication cables are damaged every year by nothing more "evil" than ships anchors, fishing trawler nets & other 'normal activities' ...

Or we can consider the factor of the much vaunted "Russian Initial Build Quality" for which the Lada (a Russian built Fiat) was famously known ...  

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Or Russians opened the other valves end?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Damage reported in three strings of the Nord Stream pipelines.

Nord Stream AG said it was impossible to estimate when the gas network system's working capability would be restored.
"The destruction that occurred on the same day simultaneously on three strings of the offshore gas pipelines of the Nord Stream system is unprecedented. It is not yet possible to estimate the timing of the restoration of the gas transport infrastructure," it said in comments to reporters.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-nord-stream-operator-says-083712944.html
View Quote

Where did Hunter last drop anchor?

How much does the big guy get for undersea trench-less pipe relining?

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top