Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2022 2:59:14 AM EDT
I picked up a cheap 8" Harbor Freight press for small projects and find it has more vibration than I care for.

Removed the chuck and vibration is still there. I don't feel any play when trying to wiggle the arbor with the drill press off.

When running, I can feel run out on the idler pulley using my finger. If I hold the arbor with 2 fingers and squeeze a little, the noise goes away. I don't feel any run out at the arbor though.

Here's a short clip with the noise. Any ideas if it's a bearing, belt or something else?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t have an answer, but if that’s the same model that I have, mine does not exhibit that problem.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it might be a crappy belt
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
No arbor runout? Is that with the server up or extended. I checked one out at the store and it had 3/8 wobble with the arbor extended.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My best guess is that there is insufficient preload on the thrust bearing.  I'm not sure on how that one is designed, but the common methods of pre-load are spring washers, spacers, and nuts on a threaded shaft.  Disassembly would be required to repair.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Bearing noise
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No arbor runout? Is that with the server up or extended. I checked one out at the store and it had 3/8 wobble with the arbor extended.
View Quote

Good point... With it in the full up and fully down with pressure on the handle there is no wobble on the arbor. Anywhere in between those positions, its about 1/16" play. Adjustment of the screw on the side that rides in the vertical slot on the column doesn't reduce that play any.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bearing noise
View Quote

I'm wondering if one of the bearings just wasn't greased. I might just get a replacement drill press and swap this one out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1940s drill press that made a similar noise once when the motor pulley came loose.  There is a small Allen screw in the pulley that clamps onto the key on the motor shaft.  The screw backed out and allowed the motor pulley to toggle back-and-forth ever so slightly on the shaft with each rotation.  I cleaned the shaft with a green pad and locktited the setscrew and it’s been fine since.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a 1940s drill press that made a similar noise once when the motor pulley came loose.  There is a small Allen screw in the pulley that clamps onto the key on the motor shaft.  The screw backed out and allowed the motor pulley to toggle back-and-forth ever so slightly on the shaft with each rotation.  I cleaned the shaft with a green pad and locktited the setscrew and it’s been fine since.
View Quote

I removed the pulley, inspected, cleaned and retightened it. I'm wondering if the pulley isn't concentric on the spindle. I can feel a noticeable vibration with my fingers when touching the pulley.

I should have held on to the old drill press my dad had. It ran smooth as could be. Probably 40-50's era too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top