Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2022 7:40:38 AM EDT
I’ve always wanted a first gen Xterra, but all of them have 150-200K miles.  Is that okay or do the engines die at that mileage?

I’ve been told to skip the 2005 models.  Is there anything in particular I should look for or worry about?

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pink milkshake of death. And yes, there were years that were far worse for it.

Solid trucks, rust issues with some, not so much the frame but everything that attaches to it. Exhaust systems rusted faster then most other vehicles of that era, cats are expensive. They ride like a friggin tank so be prepared for that. If they don't know when the timing belt has been replaced then budget or dicker for that cost, $1500 or so if you are paying someone to do it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a second gen with 273k miles on it. One of the previous owners did the trans cooler/radiator bypass on it at some point. It's a great little beater truck.  I love the short turning radius.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a prepurchase inspection. Generally speaking a Nissan will last longer than 150K, if it has been serviced and taken care of. Previous recommendation of timing belt is correct. Many newer vehicles are valve eaters.

My last Nissan has over 300K, gave it to a relative a couple years ago and it is still going.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a second gen with 273k miles on it. One of the previous owners did the trans cooler/radiator bypass on it at some point. It's a great little beater truck.  I love the short turning radius.

CHRIS
View Quote

This is a joke, right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a joke, right?
View Quote
No joke.  I'm coming from GM 1500 and 2500 crew cabs.  The Xterra is quite nimble compared to them.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
05 is second gen.

First gen is up to 04 with the 3.3, which is very reliable but gets shitty mileage.

I had an 01 frontier with 200k. The only non-maintenance repairs it ever needed were a knock sensor, radiator, thermostat and 1 brake caliper. Wish I had kept it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 2002 supercharged SE with a 5 speed in 2006. Solid axle swapped in 2011 with a full width Ford Dana 44 swapped to 6 lug. Sold it in 2017 to move, sadly.

Hydrolocked the original engine off-roading. Bought a junkyard engine that turned out to have a spin bearing. Swapped bearings and ran it for years, always had a vibration at 2000 rpm and ate front crank seals. Got to where I was swapping seals every 6 months and eventually blew a timing belt. Put a new belt on it in a parking lot and started right up, interference engine my ass.

Swapped a good “low mile” junkyard engine in and never got back around to using it, wife went through grab school, work got crazy, wife got headhunted and we sold a bunch of stuff off to move from Montana to Oregon.

It was a blast. No sway bars, uneven brakes, barely enough power to pull 65. Miss it greatly. 11 years I replaced 1 alternator, and it was used. Everything else swapped from engine to engine and never let me down. 240k miles with one breakdown that wasn’t my own fault.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top