Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2022 5:26:50 PM EDT
Well my wife wants a Nissan. Shes all hot on a 2017 Armada. All I know about nissans are that ARF hates the CVT. Anyone have one they can give me the skinny on?
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Black
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Armada doesn’t have CVT. We’ve had two and current one we converted to a Patrol by having parts shipped from over seas. Looks badass with a 6” suspension lift and some BFG’s.  Only issue we’ve had so far was LED lights in cluster going out. Drove our last Armada to 238k mikes with no major problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Armada doesn’t have CVT. We’ve had two and current one we converted to a Patrol by having parts shipped from over seas. Looks badass with a 6” suspension lift and some BFG’s.  Only issue we’ve had so far was LED lights in cluster going out. Drove our last Armada to 238k mikes with no major problems.
View Quote

I'd love to know more about that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Armada has a Titan drivetrain.

My Titan has been a great truck.

No CVT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had great luck with my nissans. Pathfinder, xterra, and now on my third Titan which shares all the same parts as the armada.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Patrol is a very popular overland vehicle in Australia that has a lot of mods available.  There was nothing in the US when we bought ours so I had parts shipped from Australia and had a shop in Boerne, TX do the work.  On our second Armada, my wife’s 2018, I got in touch with Calmini and one of their engineers and we came up with a 3” & 6” suspension lift package for the 2017 to present models.  Her Armada looks fantastic with the Calmini lift and they’re now offered on their website.  It’s very important that you get the tires balanced and steering aligned after the mod or the Armada will feel very loose driving and was a bit too scary for my wife. She felt like it could lose control easily but after taking it to a highly experienced shop, it drives great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2018.  74K trouble free miles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Crap, I was hoping to hear bad things lol. I like our Dodge Journey a lot, it’s paid off and trouble free, plus have a lifetime warranty on it so kind of don’t want to trade it in but the space of the armada/qx would be awesome with me being 6’4 and our two kids are going to be tall too.

Saw a little about the patrol doing my googling today. Fun concept even though ours will be a pavement warrior.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They're made in Japan. Basically Nissan's Land Cruiser competitor. I think they're cool. Very comfy
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're made in Japan. Basically Nissan's Land Cruiser competitor. I think they're cool. Very comfy
View Quote

I thought they were made in Mississippi like the Titan.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you get a locker or locker for Armada?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Patrol is a very popular overland vehicle in Australia that has a lot of mods available.  There was nothing in the US when we bought ours so I had parts shipped from Australia and had a shop in Boerne, TX do the work.  On our second Armada, my wife’s 2018, I got in touch with Calmini and one of their engineers and we came up with a 3” & 6” suspension lift package for the 2017 to present models.  Her Armada looks fantastic with the Calmini lift and they’re now offered on their website.  It’s very important that you get the tires balanced and steering aligned after the mod or the Armada will feel very loose driving and was a bit too scary for my wife. She felt like it could lose control easily but after taking it to a highly experienced shop, it drives great.
View Quote

Pictures?  Did you change the back bumper? I've seen a few off-road / winch front bumpers. Including the one Calmini is selling now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Never driven one.  I do know they can be involved in a 65mph collision into the back of a parked low boy trailer and all 4 passengers will walk away.  Very effective crash restraint/airbag system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Know for suspension problems.

Air ride to be exact.

I have a 17 platinum sitting in my driveway for sale. 65k miles, good shape, $30k OBO.
View Quote

The one we’re looking at is a 17 platinum with 28k miles for $39k. I figure these things are t hot sellers right now due to the gas mileage which I’m fine with.

Pm me some pics…
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you get a locker or locker for Armada?
View Quote

The older ones came with an lsd. I’m not sure if the newer one does.

My dad has a 04 and a 19. Doesn’t have any complaints.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I rented one once, I loved to hear that V8 sing.

Gas mileage will be an issue if you're poor. I'm guessing you're poor if you're looking at a 2017.

I'm also poor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife has a 19 and it's been fantastic. Hauls the boat easily.  Room for the kids and great looking in my opinion. Used ones depreciate pretty heavily so they're really good Deals out there. Right before Covid my My wife picked up an SL 2wd for under 29 with low miles. Probably higher in price at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2017+ are made in Japan
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Rented one when we were in Hawaii, by the end of the week I swore I would never buy one.    Just didn't care for the ride, not comfortable and way too many BS gadgets in the dash.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Just hope it doesn't end up with a knocking motor, we see it literally all the time on 17-19 Armadas
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just hope it doesn't end up with a knocking motor, we see it literally all the time on 17-19 Armadas
View Quote

Hmmm what’s the usual issue?

Read. Few reviews that the infotainment is slow to respond and outdated. I’ve got to figure it’s still better than a 2012 dodge uconnect - which I do like quite a bit
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Wife mobile is a 2020 Armada - At 36K miles - it’s a badass comfy kid hauling machine that’s incredibly safe and easy to drive (rains a shit ton here, and even with MT’s handles excellent on slippery rain soaked streets). I gave my wife the option of the new TRD 2023 Sequoia - she said no, she’ll take the slightly updated 2023 version of her Armada, she loves them - good news for me, they’re cheaper lol.

I slapped some 34”MT’s on her current unit, and had all the chrome painted body color. Great rig.
Our last Nissan Pathfinder bought with 30K mi and drove to 260Kmi - fucker would not die. Didn’t even do an alternator or water pump! Shocks/brakes/oil. Amazing.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Know for suspension problems.

Air ride to be exact.

I have a 17 platinum sitting in my driveway for sale. 65k miles, good shape, $30k OBO.
View Quote

Should just be the rear air compressor - pretty easy job from what I read years back.
I love the rear air, levels automatically. When you load the fucker up, you can’t even tell you’re loaded. Levels perfectly.
Attachment Attached File

They come stock with a weird rake - I did a video on how to easily adjust the rear suspension.
2020 Armada rear height adjustment stock suspension
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Thought the one my wife found had sold because it went off the website, went and looked at a couple others and by chance stopped by the dealership that had the one, it was in the bay getting worked on with a no start issue. definitely, the nicest one we saw... but the engine is torn apart as they are trying to figure it out. Put a refundable $500 hold on it. That was last weekend and haven't heard anything yet. Might call today just for a status update. Would that scare anyone away? I kind of figure they are in there checking everything for issues so that's one less thing to have to worry about but then again it is having a no start after only 35k miles that is hard to track down.

The paint on all the Nissans seems to be really thin and chips easy. I'll be tempted to get a ceramic coating on it just to help prolong.

Sales dude said they are about as low as they can go on the price but I figure no one is buying gas guzzlers, interest rates are high so no one is buying anything, and they've had it for a couple months now so maybe with the lack of warranty and being broken already I can get them down on the price by a grand or three
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They have known airbag issues, sensor issues, and compressor issues.

Ours get the rear squat when it’s been sitting for a bit.

Nice rides, but not for a 6’ 4” dude, always felt like I was in a F16 cockpit. I had to fold myself into it.

We ended up getting a 2021 Ford Expedition Max. I enjoy it way more than the Armada.
View Quote

They don't have airbags, they have rear air-shocks. Thankfully, the compressor and sensor are the real only issue these rigs have. Super comfy ride and the 5.6 V8 moves, and is reliable.
The additional cost of a similar Expedition Max (appx $10K), would allow you to fix the rear Armada suspension issues, every year, for 10 years.
Food for thought.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thought the one my wife found had sold because it went off the website, went and looked at a couple others and by chance stopped by the dealership that had the one, it was in the bay getting worked on with a no start issue. definitely, the nicest one we saw... but the engine is torn apart as they are trying to figure it out. Put a refundable $500 hold on it. That was last weekend and haven't heard anything yet. Might call today just for a status update. Would that scare anyone away? I kind of figure they are in there checking everything for issues so that's one less thing to have to worry about but then again it is having a no start after only 35k miles that is hard to track down.

The paint on all the Nissans seems to be really thin and chips easy. I'll be tempted to get a ceramic coating on it just to help prolong.

Sales dude said they are about as low as they can go on the price but I figure no one is buying gas guzzlers, interest rates are high so no one is buying anything, and they've had it for a couple months now so maybe with the lack of warranty and being broken already I can get them down on the price by a grand or three
View Quote

I would be curious on what exactly is being "torn apart". A starter, battery? No biggie. Anything beyond that I'd question.
I think the used car market will continue to tank as interest climbs. Today I just paid $10K cheaper for a 2022 Lexus IS500 than what they sold for 2 months ago. It's only going to get worse, and shouldn't take long. I've been watching the market every day for months.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to rent them for a month at a time for company travel.  5.6 sounds awesome.  Impossible to make your right foot behave.  Rural: 16 MPG.  Highway: 16 MPG.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Since Toyota went to a turbo V-6, Nissan is the only game in town to still offer a NA V-8... They will get my money if / when my '05 Tundra ever dies.

Accountant
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Since Toyota went to a turbo V-6, Nissan is the only game in town to still offer a NA V-8... They will get my money if / when my '05 Tundra ever dies.

Accountant
View Quote

I have a 2015 5.7 Tundra - had a 2022 V6 Tundra for a few weeks, even my younger kids wanted dads “old truck” back. They did not like it, nor did I. Reminded me of driving a low grade V6 F150. No soul.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
People that have them seem to like the Titans/Armadas.

I (personally) think they and the Infiniti equivalent SUV are horribly ugly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#39]
My 2018 burned through 4 batteries in 2 years due to the smart alternator feature. Traded for a 2020 and has been flawless for 47k miles.

Towed 22' boat 1500 miles r/t this past summer with no issues other than 8mpg. Only complaint is the thin paint, mines gunmetal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top