Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 9/25/2020 10:14:33 PM EDT
I have a Nikonos V underwater camera that uses 35mm film and I am wondering if it is dead, i.e., does anyone use 35mm film for underwater photography?

I recently spotted a pelican case for sale at a yard sale in my neighborhood and it looked like it would be perfect for safely traveling with my Xbox One (it was) and the price was right so I told the guy that I would take it.  I opened it up at the yard sale and discovered that the guy was selling a Nikonos V camera and all accessories in a Pelican case, the guy confirmed that the price was for everything.

So I have a Nikonos V camera with all accessories that I will never use and I'm wondering if anyone still uses these things or if I should sell it at a pawn shop; I checked ebay and there are many listed but none are selling.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one 30+ years ago I dove a lot and took a lot of amazing pictures. It is a great manual camera.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one 30+ years ago I dove a lot and took a lot of amazing pictures. It is a great manual camera.
View Quote

Thanks for that info!

I have a digital Nikon D5100 that I use but I have little desire to mess around with film; I remember the frustration of waiting for your film to be developed/printed only to discover one good pic out of an entire roll.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have mine, but am going digital. If you use it, have it serviced first- replace all o-rings. I can recommend a place to get it serviced.

They can be great for U/W pics of whales if you ever go on a whale trip. Some pros I’ve met have used them for whales. Pick up a Nikonos 15 mm lens on eBay, and set it on auto exposure. IIRC, I read that Amos Nachoum preferred film over digital for big animals, but that may have been early in the digital era.

ETA: I’ve wished that someone could make a digital camera back for them- something that could replace the rear door/cover, and contain a 35mm size digital sensor, and have controls or display on the exterior side. There probably would not be enough of a market for them, though.

ETA2: they take great pictures, BTW. I have dozens of exhibition quality photos from my Nikonos-II and Nikonos-V taken over the past 40+ years. The lenses made for them are still considered superb.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
There just isn't much of a market for it. I doubt you'd get anything at a pawn shop for it. Put it on a shelf as a conversation piece.

I have a V and an RS. The RS has some of the best glass I've ever used in any camera, wet or dry. It's really incredible.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 15mm  lens if anyone interested
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top