Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2022 6:39:35 PM EDT
Is this a good deal for my son? B&H has the Nikon Z5 Mirrorless Camera with 24-200mm Lens on sale for $2000.00?
He is taking photography in school next year. Got to get him a camera and I know cameras are usually buy once cry once  my 35mm camera I used in high school  ( cannon AE-1)used film so kind of out of touch on this one.  I haven’t shot anything seriously since 1992… so is the Z5 too much for him to learn on or will it grow with him???
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That is too much camera. Get him a  Canon R7 or a Nikon of the same caliber and save a shit pot of money.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Nikon D7500 you can probably find one factory refurbished.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Nikon D7500 you can probably find one factory refurbished.
View Quote

this or a used D750.    Facebook Marketplace is full of used stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
On one hand, that is a crapton of camera.  On the other, if he has a serious interest in photography it might be worth it.

Personally, I'd lean toward a refurb D7200 or D7500, both of which are exceptional cameras and fall under the 'prosumer' level where you get decent weather sealing, physical controls, and a built in motor for using old AF-D lenses.  You can pretty much plug and play any Nikon F mount lens from (at minimum) the mid 80's straight onto the camera.  Let alone that high quality lenses are less expensive than full frame ones.  BUT you can buy and use full frame lenses on them and be setup if/when kiddo decides he wants a full frame camera.  Quality glass doesn't go bad after all, and a lot of people are selling F mount lenses to switch to Z mount mirrorless.  There are some deals to be had, and some amazing lenses that flat out won't be made in Z mount.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can afford it, and it gets used to its potential it’s worth it.

But it’s also an easy target to get stolen in your bag sitting at a table, car at lunch, locker etc. so protecting it’s from damage and theft is going to be very important. It’s important with every camera but even more so with top tier gear.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Gatorshooter2: Here is my 5¢(used to be 2¢, but due to inflation). I would get your son a used but useable low-end Nikon or Canon with a 18-135 lens. Since I am Nikon-guy, I would recommend a used 3000-series. The reason is that if something happens to it, ie stolen, dropped etc; you won't out bunches of money, and it will be more than adequate for 99.99% of his school needs.

As your son gets more proficient in his camera-handling skills you may want to upgrade. It should be probably be good for the first couple of years, depending on his interest level. If he decides that he wants to be in band or something you will only be out a minimum amount of money. One thing for sure, you don't want to overwhelm a novice photog, many of the more advanced cameras have more functions and too many button, knobs, & switches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top