Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 9:04:14 PM EDT
I have a Nikon D7000 that was left to me. My brother in law took less than 600 pictures with it then it sat in the case untouched for 2 years. In a climate controlled household.

It has a bunch of other lenses and stuff with it. I decided to go through everything and get it going and start using it, bringing it along for taking pictures here of the desert.

Last night I charged both batteries, did some reading on resetting the camera to it’s factory default setting.

Tried to take a few pictures and when I press the button the camera goes click, then it takes a long time for the shutter to click back and the picture to hit the screen. I tried a few different shutter setting and different lenses and it gets worse.

Is there anything I can do to fix it ?

Does the shutter typically go bad from not using it ?

My BIL bought it brand new in Dubai, I have the receipt for $4995 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What are the settings on the camera, when you take the picture?
ISO
Aperature
Shutter speed
Almost sound like you have it on a long exposure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
As above. Sounds like shutter settings.

Switch it to manual (M), shutter speed to 1/60 second and press the shutter release again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I’m not sure what I did but that’s seems to have worked !  I’ll have more time tomorrow to mess with it. I wish I could find the manual that came with it.

Thanks Much !  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You can probably find the manual online in .PDF format.

I have an old Nikon D40X, and I put on >150,000 clicks on the shutter, they are super reliable.

ETA: IF you do encounter a malfunction, it is probably better to buy a new camera, current production D7200 & D7500 are ~$1,000, and you can get the top of the line D500 for ~$1,400. Usually they can be found cheaper when it is on sale or refurbished. The lenses will probably work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I’m not sure what I did but that’s seems to have worked !  I’ll have more time tomorrow to mess with it. I wish I could find the manual that came with it.

Thanks Much !  
View Quote

Watch this video on the D7000 from Jared Polin (Fro Knows Photo), this guy has been shooting for many years and gives some good info.
Nikon D7000 How To Tutorial 1
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
WD 40
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Manual: https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You can find all Nikon manuals online.

I don't even bother with the paper versions any more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top